Thumbs up My VPS Journey - Servint to SolaDrive.com

I rarely take time to write reviews. Not that I do not appreciate the people who do excellent work but it is just that I assume someone else would anyways be raving about their greatness and my one review would not make a big difference.

But today is different. I decided to take time and write this review and hopefully it makes a difference and helps others looking for a perfect host.

So, here we go.

I have been developing and hosting sites since the late nineties. I tried several hosts during those early years, dozens literally. There were times when I was hooked on to forums and other review sites for months together looking for that perfect host and I should say it all ended with Servint.

While I'm still currently with them as of this writing, I've decided to move.

The primary reason for my decision is not due to the lack of service from Servint's technical team which I would say is good but because I needed an upgrade and Servint is too expensive for upgrades. Unfortunately, their sales/billing do not offer any discounts on upgrades for existing customers and they didn't seem to care even if you have hosted with them for almost a decade. Yes, I've been hosting with them for ages now but they wouldn't offer discounts on upgrades which as I said is expensive for me.

(Note: Servint's management did step in later and it especially was very nice to see their Director of customer service go above and beyond to look into my case but it was too late as I already committed migrating to another host.)

How I landed with my new awesome host - SolaDrive.com

So, I was back searching for the perfect hosting provider who can not just provide excellent technical service but also have an equally good operational teams (sales/billing). Of course, some one who does not burn a hole in my pockets was a criteria as well. After spending hours and days together, I finally shortlisted a few hosts and decided to go with one but ultimately ended up going with another. Without making it tl;dr type of review, here is the summary:

What I was looking for:

A completely 100% managed VPS with atleast 5 - 8GB of RAM, 100GB of SSD or SSD cached storage, 1TB or more of bandwidth and regular backups. Of course, an excellent service in all departments and the price would make/break the deal.

Who made it to my shortlist:
    1. SolaDrive.com
    2. RamNode.com
    3. FutureHosting.com
    4. DigitalOcean.com

There were few more whom I considered but decided to leave them out as they seemed relatively new or unreliable though their pricing was good.

Who did I finally go with... It was SolaDrive.com or I should say John and his team from Soladrive.

Before I get into more details on why I though they are the best, I'd first want to say why I didn't pick others from the list. Not that the rest on the list are bad but to me they didn't seem to match my requirements and exemplary and impeccable service I got from Soladrive.com

Here is where the rest failed in my case:

Ramnode - Lack of flexibility and expensive. They don't provide lot of flexibility in changing the options (diskspace/mem etc). (Didn't look at their data backup plans.)

Futurehosting - Their response was slow as a snail. I haven't heard back from them + same reasons indicated above. Also, backup with them costs extra.

DigitalOcean - I was very close to signing up with them but they seemed to lack the personal touch. Also, their backup plans are expensive and is an additional charge. But what pulled me back is their recent reviews.

OK with those out of my way, here is why I went with SolaDrive.

1. The way John and his (edit: super awesome) team handled my sales inquiry (edit: & subsequently migration).

I believe I sent them a message over the weekend and got a response almost instantly.

Never once did he pressure me into signing up with them. On the contrary, he wanted me to feel completely comfortable first and very patiently and happily answered all my questions and addressed every concern I had.

2. Their flexible and excellent hosting plans - They were very easy to work with and I should say their plans are the very best from what I've seen.

3. My experience with them - You should experience to believe it. John and his team provided top-notch and excellent service and support from the moment I contacted them and that I would say is still an under-statement. You really would have to experience it yourself.

Who says no one can be perfect? SolaDrive.com is a perfect host and John and his team are the perfect hosts.

This is my thanksgiving.

Nice review, I hope the performance of your VPS matches your initial enthusiasm. I took a quick look at their site and their plans say RAID-10 so if they are using all-SSD servers now they should definitely market that. And 24gb is horrificly low for a VPS node these days. I'm sure their servers have more than that.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Thumbs up

Thank you...they do deserve the praise and I too hope they keep up the excellent work.

As for their site, it is definitely out-dated but I was told they are in the process of launching a new one. I hope they do it soon. I honestly think the kind of excellent service and servers they offer does not reflect on their outdated site.

But as they say, looks don't matter, it is all about the inner beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    Nice review, I hope the performance of your VPS matches your initial enthusiasm. I took a quick look at their site and their plans say RAID-10 so if they are using all-SSD servers now they should definitely market that. And 24gb is horrificly low for a VPS node these days. I'm sure their servers have more than that.

Nice detailed review SupportFolks. It will help other host while choosing best provider.
    SSD Web Solutions- Web Hosting Provider in India
    Web Hosting India
    http://www.ssdindia.in

Quote Originally Posted by ssdindia View Post
    Nice detailed review SupportFolks. It will help other host while choosing best provider.
    Thank you. I always feel good when I read honest and sincere reviews and I'd be glad if people feel the same way on reading mine.

Perhaps a coincidence but it was a bit odd to see two reviews posted a while after I posted and based on my style. It seems one of the reviewers just joined to post the review. Nothing wrong with it but felt odd. Just follow the conscience and it'll keep them honest.
    Last edited by [SupportFolks]; 11-29-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added a request to keep reviews honest

Thanks for checking us out. I doubt it would have worked anyway since we are unmanaged, but glad you found the right fit.
    RamNode - #1 SSD VPS
    High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - 1Gbps - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Get your super fast VPS today! - www.ramnode.com

Moved > VPS Hosting.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Thanks for checking us out. I doubt it would have worked anyway since we are unmanaged, but glad you found the right fit.
    @Nick A - RamNode was an easy pick for me. You guys have a strong reputation as well and I was in-fact willing to live with the unmanaged part but other than the IP addresses, your plans don't allow much flexibility in terms of adding additional mem, capacity, etc. But I guess those plans are targeted at a different segment.

BTW..everyone else on the list, please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to pull down anyone, it is just an account of what worked and didn't work in my case.

You might have a very good reason as to why you structure things in a certain way but I just felt writing about it as you could be losing out on some prospective customers.

We cant thank you enough for this review, we are really blown away by it and are humbled to be pared along side Servint. It's refreshing to work with such a genuinely nice person as you self too, so we look forward to the years to come and hope we live up to all your expectations and what you have come to expect. Thanks again
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    We cant thank you enough for this review, we are really blown away by it and are humbled to be pared along side Servint. It's refreshing to work with such a genuinely nice person as you self too, so we look forward to the years to come and hope we live up to all your expectations and what you have come to expect. Thanks again
    You're very welcome, John. You guys have been doing a great job and it is paying off. Keep it going and I'm sure you'll do well.

We reap what we sow.