View Poll Results: Should a child have a cell phone?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. They don't need anymore radiation. Maybe those microwaved bottles long ago wont hurt them.

1 4.76%
  • No, because they will be distracted by it in school, plus bullies can easily pounce on them!

1 4.76%
  • No. It will make them less social. Mobiles shouldn't be an excuse to save on groceries!

7 33.33%
  • I don't care. It's not my problem. Why am I here?

1 4.76%
  • Not sure. I don't have a child. But if I ever do, I think I'll still be clueless.

1 4.76%
  • Why not? I had one as a child and I'm still alive. Don't mind the extra eye!

2 9.52%
  • Yes. Their parents might need to contact them if they can't make it home in time from McDonald's!

2 9.52%
  • Yes. It makes them smarter. You'll see once you buy them another phone. They won't need your help!

0 0%
  • Yes. For emergency purposes. Maybe their teacher gave them a test grade they don't agree with!

0 0%
  • Yes. They need to stay in contact with their friends 24/7 to see if they're still interesting.

0 0%
  • Yes. Everyone has one. Hate to see a child not texting amongst others that are.

3 14.29%
  • Yes. Maybe their parents want some peace and quite, like the entire day!

0 0%
  • Yes. Just felt like voting yes.

3 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poll: Should a child have a cell phone?

So far I've seen young kids with iPhones, Samsung Galaxys, regular cell phones, no Windows yet... Anyway, what's your take on this?

Children should be told how to use a cell phone in case it's needed. But I don't believe anyone who isn't driving or frequently traveling requires a cell phone other than work purposes.

I do think that because so many children now have cell phones, in a way, it would make them less social. But I feel taking people away from direct face to face interaction at a young age is also dangerous to the child's development.

I didn't get my own cellphone until I was in highschool and paid for it myself .. and the one I bought was a brick.

But .. Back then we had payphones everywhere should I need help. Now it's rare to see one around. I would buy a phone for a child (if I had one ) just for the safety benefits of being able to have quick and easy contact.

No way they get a smartphone though. They get to be the kid with the old pre-used flip phone first before they can pay for a nicer phone themselves.

If your kid don't get to have a phone it will be difficult for him at school because everyone else has it.

Yes to traditional cell phones, but not to smartphones.

Of course, just for protection in case something goes very wrong.

Set up their phone so they can only call emergency numbers and their parents.

We should have a special phone for kids where they can only text or call their family members only

I selected "Yes. Their parents might need to contact them if they can't make it home in time from McDonald's!" just because my reason isn't there lol.

No they shouldn't have a phone until they are 14-16. I had mine when I was 14 so my mum and dad could contact me and I can contact them to tell them where I was and if it was a emergency I could phone 999.

Yes, we shud not aviod smartphones from the childs, They will get enough knowledge while using smartphones, they will know about technology available in the market.

Yes, if you give the internet with that smartphone you will need to monitor what they browsing!

I chose yes for security reasons:

Verizon Wireless Family Locator
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by mcianfarani View Post
    I didn't get my own cellphone until I was in highschool and paid for it myself .. and the one I bought was a brick.

But .. Back then we had payphones everywhere should I need help. Now it's rare to see one around. I would buy a phone for a child (if I had one ) just for the safety benefits of being able to have quick and easy contact.

No way they get a smartphone though. They get to be the kid with the old pre-used flip phone first before they can pay for a nicer phone themselves.

Exactly. My first cell phone was a brick when I was 20, had a job, and paid for it.

I do not believe children need a cell phone for any reason. It's dumb, it makes the children dumber, and it creates all sorts of cyber-bullying that slips past everyone....until it turns into hateful comments....or the child is dead. Some will say to monitor children, but when has any child ever done everything a parent told them...no child is perfect.

My daughter asked for one because her friends has them. This was the conversation;

Dad, can I have a phone?
    No!

But my friends have them!
    Why do you need to contact your friends if they're sitting beside you?

What if I need to call you?
    Use the school's office phone!

How did you get a hold of your parents when you were younger?
    I used the school's office phone!

We had payphones, but there were only two types of calls;

- girls that were "cool" calling older guys that were out of school
    - calling friends who dropped out of school and sat at home "chilling"

Who else would a school aged child be calling? Their friends are either in school with them, or at another school. So really there should be no one to call during school hours.

My daughter can use our phones anytime after school. If any of us were running late, we would call the school and they would wait by the office. A secured environment with adult supervision...can't go wrong with that. Did phones in schools suddenly vanish?!!?!?!?

Plus there has already been cyber/text bullying with some students close to her age....so no need to throw her into that. All it's doing in reinforcing the needs for people to abbreviate words with 5 letters or less. School were slowing allowing students to bring phones and devices, but because this is new for schools to deal with, and the negative events that have occurred, it's slowly being phased out or allowed during certain times with restrictions such not taking pictures.

The only reason would be if she's a bit older and it just has 911 and our numbers in it....which almost all phones have some form of lock that only 5 or 10 outgoing numbers can be accessed.

Once my kid is like 10-11, sure I'll get them a phone. I'm not going to say it'll be a flip phone or a smart phone, because it'll depend on what's available then, and what my kid is like.

When I was that age I participated in a lot of after school programs and athletics. Sometimes practice ended early or plans changed; it would've been great to have been able to at least notify my parents, especially seeing as land lines aren't all that common at soccer or baseball fields.

What is a "kid"?

My parents gave me a pager (later a cell phone) when I was old enough to go out on my own (i.e. walk to a friends house, goto the park, etc.) so they could get ahold of me or if I needed to contact them. However, it was never taken to school as there was no need for me to have it there.

I think I purchased and paid for my own cell phone in grade 9. I didn't use it much as many of my friends didn't have any and I was often around a landline.

I think children shouldn't have cell phones until they're old enough to get a job.

I survived my early years when cell phones didn't exist, and the world was the same back then. We also didn't have the internet.
    Last edited by UnhappyCamper; 11-29-2013 at 04:39 PM.

I take that back. Kids should have cell phones, but not smart phones.

I take that back. Because of the internet and today's news media, kids should have cell phones, but not smart phones.

Things are not the same as it was for me back in the day. The mentally disturbed can now interact with each other on the internet, search for victims, or copy tragic events.

The world has changed.

I think children that are young should get a flip phone. With family members numbers programmed in. No internet and/or texting capabilities. Once tegu turn 16. Then they should be allowed to have a smartphone,but, only if they have a job, and pay for it themselves.

Having a phone is ok, but do not give them a contract phone with guaranteed text/minutes etc....

Quote Originally Posted by UnhappyCamper View Post
    I take that back. Because of the internet and today's news media, kids should have cell phones, but not smart phones.

Things are not the same as it was for me back in the day. The mentally disturbed can now interact with each other on the internet, search for victims, or copy tragic events.

The world has changed.
    I liked your original point....get a job, get a phone. Your second statement almost sounds like a contradiction.

Because there are more mentally disturbed people, children should have cell phones

The sad thing...every child I see with a phone, it's an iPhone. Not a cheap phone from a few years ago..but at the same time, a lot of networks are phasing out older phones, so your almost forced to have a full feature phone or smart phone.

When I worked with children, one thing I found out, a lot of these online stalkers become "friends" with children for a few years before they meet. This was during the icq/msn/chat days. Imagine now with all these CatFish cases....some crazy old guy creates a profile of a young 12 year old girl. Texting, tweeting, and facebooking for 3 or 4 years since they trust this online friend that always been there to listen to them and say all the things they want to hear.

Then one day arrange a meeting to go see a movie or hangout..................

@UnhappyCamper when you say 'child' what age range are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    I liked your original point....get a job, get a phone. Your second statement almost sounds like a contradiction.

Because there are more mentally disturbed people, children should have cell phones

The sad thing...every child I see with a phone, it's an iPhone. Not a cheap phone from a few years ago..but at the same time, a lot of networks are phasing out older phones, so your almost forced to have a full feature phone or smart phone.
    Hi 48-14

I know most are now using the term cell phones for their smart phones, but if you re-read what I wrote, I did say no smart phones.

To me a cell phone is what can still be found today without cameras or the internet. These are the mobiles parents should be giving their children, not smart phones where they could interact with the world.

No way could a stalker meet a child if children have cell phones that have no internet access.

Wish I could re-edit my poll a bit.
    Last edited by UnhappyCamper; 11-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Hi 48-14

I know most are now using the term cell phones for their smart phones, but if you re-read what I wrote, I did say no smart phones.

To me a cell phone is what can still be found today without cameras or the internet. These are the mobiles parents should be giving their children, not smart phones where they could interact with the world.

No way could a stalker meet a child if children have cell phones that have no internet access.

Wish I could re-edit my poll a bit.

There's the rose-colored-glasses world, and then there's reality.

Reality;
    - I know the difference between a cell phone, mobile phone, smart phone, etc.
    - Depending on the area you live (which almost isn't a factor) most children have iphones, ipads, blackberry's, androids or something of such calibur...why...because most parents would rather their child have the cool/expensive phone, even a model a few years old...not the cheap phone one that their friends will make fun of
    - how old are you
    - schools wouldn't impose a no photo rule if there wasn't an issue with phones and cameras
    - a child could meet a stalker on their home computer and the conversation carries over to the phone, internet capable or not
    - gossip sites have become popular due to children and phones
    - and even if the phone is not capable, they can record a video and upload it after

Reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    @UnhappyCamper when you say 'child' what age range are you talking about?
    Hi Loon,

I should have been more specific. 13 on up, but with a cell phone (not a smart phone) set to turn itself off when not in use. I remember hearing about a cell phone with just emergency present numbers a parent could program. It's embarrasing to have because it has no features of a smart phone, tiny one color LCD screen, so you know your child wont whip it out to use unless it's an emergency. They can't even program numbers on their own.

Once they reach the age where they have a job, they could buy a smart phone. But until then, they're owners of a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    - Depending on the area you live (which almost isn't a factor) most children have iphones, ipads, blackberry's, androids or something of such calibur...why...because most parents would rather their child have the cool/expensive phone, even a model a few years old...not the cheap phone one that their friends will make fun of
    - how old are you
    That's how it is where I'm at. Every child has a smart phone, and their favorite passtime is Whatsapp. These weak parents give in to avoid an argument, or they think it's cool that their kids should have it. To be the first one on the block with a smart phone, or avoid being the last.

Yes they could meet someone online at home which could carry over to a mobile. Wish we could go back to the times when there was no internet, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm 50. Still remember those Motorola bricks way back. They gave off a ton of radiation for crappy reception.
    Last edited by UnhappyCamper; 11-29-2013 at 08:19 PM.

That's how it is where I'm at. Every child has a smart phone, and their favorite passtime is Whatsapp. These weak parents give in to avoid an argument, or they think it's cool that their kids should have it. To be the first one on the block with a smart phone, or avoid being the last.

Yes they could meet someone online at home which could carry over to a mobile. Wish we could go back to the times when there was no internet, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm 50. Still remember those Motorola bricks way back. They gave off a ton of radiation for crappy reception.
    and at first I thought you were younger.

I'm 40, so I can related and we see eye to eye. My first phone was a brick and I was the first one in my circle of friends to have one. Mostly used it if we wanted to visit a friend. I miss those days of calling people, hanging out, no staring at our palm, no having to check emails every 30 minutes....the simple days. My first internet usage was in college. Downhill from that point

Even another parent and I had the conversation of when we were younger our parents had to chance us to come home....now we chase the children out to detach from devices.

But as you said, there are some parents that will buy everything the child asks for, and trust me, there are some spoiled children, and ironically, they are the ones that have had issues with smartphones and devices at school.

I never had a cellphone until the end of 8th grade (going into high school) and even then it was just for calling, no texting or web, it was nothing fancy, just a basic flip phone. I never got a smart phone until I was out of high school and I think that kids 8th grade or lower, if they have a cell phone, only have a basic phone that is made for calling home and things like that. I believe a smartphone is just too much for them at that young of an age.

No, children doesn't need a cell phone. Teenagers however .... However, this thread isn't about teenagers.
    1. Mmmmm food...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast