OVZ Control Panel

Greetings all,

I am looking for a Control Panel for our hosting activities and have come here for some help.

Background:
    -----------
    Our company hosts a ton of WordPress sites for our customers. These sites are customized with our software and are completely managed by us. Our customers do not do not manage their own sites - we manage everything for them. This is our value prop. Given the similarity of these sites (standard nginx, mysql, php install), we have decided to use OpenVZ containers to host and manage them.

Problem:
    --------
    We need an easy-to-use tool so our sales guys (with limited *nix skills) can login and quickly spin up new customer sites. They should be able to:

* Create, delete, and suspend customer container sites
    * Create levels of service (Gold, Bronze, etc) that can be assigned to the container on-the-fly
    * Automatically assign IP Addresses to the container as it is spun up (for internal-only DNS resolution)
    * Automatically configure DNS server entries (dydns, etc) when containers are created and deleted (for internal-only DNS resolution)
    * Migrate containers between nodes when one node gets too full
    * Generate a report on each site with regards to disk, bandwidth, RAM usage to ensure our customers are paying for the "right" plan.
    * Get an email alert when a site goes over its service level parameters.

We don't need any sort of reseller panel or exotic system with a ton of user-level permissions. We also don't need a billing system as we have our own. We need a simle web-based tool to accomplish the items above.

I tried some of OVZ control panels, and quite honestly, I have been disappointed so far. My favorite was Virtualizor (easy to use, etc) but I just learned it does NOT allow containers to be migrated between nodes. I also bought a 1mos subscription to SolusVM, but the interface is kludgy, cluttered, not intuitive, and the reseller/admin interfaces don't provide any adjustments for the containers (changing service levels, etc). I also tried Proxmox, but it does not have any sort of easy-to-use tools like Virtualizor. I have also looked at Plesk, cPanel, Direct Admin, but they are too heavy for our needs.

Can anyone recommend something that addresses the bullets above?

Thanks,

-Ron

You'll be hard pushed to find a 'perfect' package that does all this for you. You've got the likes of SolusVM and Virtualizor that you already mentioned however no panel provides every feature you need as far as I'm aware.

If you dont mind moving from OpenVZ to Xen, OnApp is supposed to be very good.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is going with something like SolusVM and either extending it via the API, or paying for development rights (i.e source code access) and customizing it to your needs. This would however only be worth it if you've got cash to burn.

If the interface is the biggest showstopper for SolusVM though, then replacing the client UI via the API is your best option. A few hosts seem to have done that.

You of-course do also have the option of customising the UI yourself: http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h.../Templates.htm

Hope this helps, and good luck with the search
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

You mentioned that you already have all of our own systems for this most of these things have you thought about using SolusVM and just adding it to your current system with their API?
    VudooHosting.com - since 2010
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Premium 24/7 Support
    Money Back Guarantee | 24/7 Monitoring
    Shared - Reseller - Basic Managed VPS - Fully Managed VPS - Minecraft

Look at this list of panels for ovz - https://openvz.org/Control_panels

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-WHSuite View Post
    You'll be hard pushed to find a 'perfect' package that does all this for you. You've got the likes of SolusVM and Virtualizor that you already mentioned however no panel provides every feature you need as far as I'm aware.

If you dont mind moving from OpenVZ to Xen, OnApp is supposed to be very good.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is going with something like SolusVM and either extending it via the API, or paying for development rights (i.e source code access) and customizing it to your needs. This would however only be worth it if you've got cash to burn.

If the interface is the biggest showstopper for SolusVM though, then replacing the client UI via the API is your best option. A few hosts seem to have done that.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the search
    Thanks for the great feedback. We will probably look into the API and Client Template customization. Appreciate the pointers!

Quote Originally Posted by IgorG View Post
    Look at this list of panels for ovz
    Thanks. That is exactly where I started, but I will have a look once again.