Hybrid View

Hosting between shared and VPS?

Hello, Once upon a time there was semi dedicated affordable hosting but now there so many types of hosting that I am very lost.

I recently started rebuilding my company and have hit the awkward stage where my sites are too big for shared hosting and using too many resources and I'm not making enough money to pay $50+ a month for VPS.

My plan right now is since I have four web site to put each with a different hosting company. However I wanted to see what the "term", if there is one, is for something in between the shared and VPS or dedicated.

Thank you for light that can be shed on the topic.
    Kimberly

Shared and VPS are shared hosting.

Dedicated server = you owned the power! no shared :-)

I think you can figure it out :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

You can try reseller hosting or managed vps. Both have WHM that you can menage your sites in a account. The VPS provide the root permission but reseller hosting doesn't.

You have 4 site that you must buy vps and you are a company so i think you should buy vps.it is safe for your company.I think you can be clear.

You mention sites, "plural" - are you running multiple sites on a shared plan? If so, I think the next step would be into a reseller plan and get those sites onto their own accounts. Any additional details would be helpful.

I suggest that you go for a reseller for easier management (since most reseller has free whm / cpanel). But if you need more control then go for vps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimb View Post
    I recently started rebuilding my company and have hit the awkward stage where my sites are too big for shared hosting and using too many resources and I'm not making enough money to pay $50+ a month for VPS.
    Hi,
    You mentioned that your website is too big for shared hosting, with larger resource requirements. In that case VPS or a Reseller plan would be ideal for you. Since you spoke about your budget constraints, you can easily find a good reseller plan around $15-20/month which will come with cPanel/whm and many other plug-ins that you need at no additional cost. You do not necessarily need to spend $50+ on a VPS. Even that is available these days at an affordable price. You could check the advertising section of this forum to find a good deal.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

You can also get a decent VPS for way less than $50.
    There is also the semi-dedicated hosting, which costs about $30 and will give you a lot more power.
    Not sure how good the reseller option would be.

You just need to find a shared host that will allow your resource usage. What kind of resource limits are you currently hitting?

You can't get a "decent" VPS under $50 if you need management and monitoring with decent storage.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Hello, Once upon a time there was semi dedicated affordable hosting but now there so many types of hosting that I am very lost.

My plan right now is since I have four web site to put each with a different hosting company. However I wanted to see what the "term", if there is one, is for something in between the shared and VPS or dedicated.

Thank you for light that can be shed on the topic.
    Kimberly
    Ok after reading this I think I was in your situation once. So here are your options.
    1. Reseller hosting with cPanel - Starts from around 10 to 15USD
    2. VPS - unmanaged, with cPanel/WHM - Costs starting from as low as 5USD to 10USD (Volumedrive/BuyVM/etc)
    3. VPS - Managed, without cPanel - Will cost you around 25USD for a decent server
    4. VPS - Managed with cPanel - Will cost you around 30USD for a decent server.

Now if you ask me, I will suggest you go with a reseller plan like I did first. Then host there for around a month to see if everything works fine. If not, go for a managed VPS server with cPanel/WHM. If you know the server management, you can go for unmanaged VPS with cPanel too.

Your plan of Signing up with 4 different accounts on different hosts and see if that solves your problem is pretty good and it has worked for me in the past. Just go for hosts with affordable and limited plans. There are currently a lot of webhosts which offers plans like that. HolderHost which is use currently is one.

What did your provider say regarding resource usage? Did they explain to you how much CPU/memory was being used etc? If not, ask them and then let us know so we can help you better.

It sounds like you're currently hosting 3 of your sites as addon domains under the main account. The trouble with doing that is if the main account is causing a high load and your provider suspend your main account all the addon domains under it will be suspended too.

I recommend you get yourself a reseller account at a decent provider and create a separate cPanel account for each of the 4 sites as it'll help prevent all sites being suspended at the same time by the provider. And then should one of the sites under the reseller account start using too much resources and your provider suspend it, you can simply move just that one account to an account/server which has more resources e.g semi-dedicated, vps or dedicated server. You also get to continue hosting the other cPanel accounts under the reseller account.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

I must say go with fully managed vps. Wiredtree is good provider and have good reviews here as well. Their plans also fit your budget.
    SSD Web Solutions- Web Hosting Provider in India
    Web Hosting India
    http://www.ssdindia.in

Go for a vps .it shud have 2 gb ram to host 4 websites and shud not cost more than 20$ or so IMHO