E3 1240 v3 vs E5 1650

Hi,
    I am planning to offer my own hosting services on a dedicated server in 8 to 9 months.

Now I found a provider in Europe who give me E3 1240 v3 WITH 32Gb ram and 6 TB hard disk and another provider on a clearance sale E5-1650 with the same ram and HDD as the E3 server.

Now I do know that E5 is better in performance than E3 in addition to possibility of upgrading ram in the future.

However my issue right now is whether to take the brand new E3 2240 v3 (Since it is a new release) or E5 1650.

I plan to test it a couple of months in advance to provide linux shared and reseller and OpenVZ VPS sometime in the next couple of months.

Can people here help me in making a choice?

I forgot to say that both are priced the same

69 euros a month.

2* 3TB Sata

That's quite a cheap deal. Performance-wise I would go for the E5-CPU, it has better benchmarks and you can upgrade ram to > 32 GB where the E3 is limited to 32 GB max.
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Which hosting provider sells the E5 1650?

Quote Originally Posted by akashsuresh View Post
    Hi,
    I am planning to offer my own hosting services on a dedicated server in 8 to 9 months.

Now I found a provider in Europe who give me E3 1240 v3 WITH 32Gb ram and 6 TB hard disk and another provider on a clearance sale E5-1650 with the same ram and HDD as the E3 server.

Now I do know that E5 is better in performance than E3 in addition to possibility of upgrading ram in the future.

However my issue right now is whether to take the brand new E3 2240 v3 (Since it is a new release) or E5 1650.

I plan to test it a couple of months in advance to provide linux shared and reseller and OpenVZ VPS sometime in the next couple of months.

Can people here help me in making a choice?
    E5-1650 without a doubt due to the high RAM capabilities and your desire to get into openvz....
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Here's a side by side comparison. As many mentioned, the E5 will accept higher RAM and has a bit faster standard clock speed.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E...eon-E3-1240-v3

One difference is power consumption, which is near double in the E5.

I'm kinda surprised to see you're finding them priced the same. Wonder why the E5's are on clearance, as you mentioned...?
    SingleHop | Chicago - New York - Phoenix - Amsterdam | People Empowered by Automation
    TJ Waldorf | VP, Inside Sales & Marketing | @tj_waldorf | twaldorf @ singlehop.com | poweredby.ai

E5's really the best for what you're looking for. You can sure start with an E3 1240 or 1270. Your memory limit's going to be 32 GB on the E3's if I'm not mistaken. Great for smaller 1GB - 2GB containers, but for hosting anything larger than that (> 4GB memory allocation) using *VZ you might consider dual proc and maybe 48 - 96 GB depending on your budget. Reduces overselling, increases performance. Combine it with correct systems administration, servers like these can pay for themselves in a short while.

Edit

Quote Originally Posted by 24x7group View Post
    That's quite a cheap deal. Performance-wise I would go for the E5-CPU, it has better benchmarks and you can upgrade ram to > 32 GB where the E3 is limited to 32 GB max.
    Must have stepped over this, but I agree.
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

Quote Originally Posted by jfnllc View Post
    E5's really the best for what you're looking for. You can sure start with an E3 1240 or 1270. Your memory limit's going to be 32 GB on the E3's if I'm not mistaken. Great for smaller 1GB - 2GB containers, but for hosting anything larger than that (> 4GB memory allocation) using *VZ you might consider dual proc and maybe 48 - 96 GB depending on your budget. Reduces overselling, increases performance. Combine it with correct systems administration, servers like these can pay for themselves in a short while.
    +1 on this.

You will definitely want to consider performance implications of running this on a single proc, even with the E5.
    SingleHop | Chicago - New York - Phoenix - Amsterdam | People Empowered by Automation
    TJ Waldorf | VP, Inside Sales & Marketing | @tj_waldorf | twaldorf @ singlehop.com | poweredby.ai

I also prefer E5.
    But the difference is:
    E5: QPI = 0 GT/s
    E3: DMI = 5 GT/s

oneprovider.com is giving E5 1650 on clearance.It is out of stock for now.But I contacted them and they said new stock is coming up on December 5th.I have personal experience with a low cost server with them for personal use.Now I am buying one for business use.

We have customers on both platforms for a variety of applications. Based on my observations, I'd take the E5-1650 pretty much every time - it's a far superior CPU. Even the quad-core version, E5-1620, is better than any E3 CPU, other than maybe the 1280v3. The only down side, as others have noted, is that they do require a fair amount more power than the E3's.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - SAS70 Type-II Colocation in Las Vegas and Seattle

I will go with Mr Waldorf on this.E5 seems a good choice.But for now I am just going to be offering VPS with a maximum of 2 GB ram.If things work out fine,I will consider buying a new server.

As I mentioned before,I am buying this server for now purely to test how well it will handle vps.I planning to give out a couple of VPS to few of my friends for a month or two just to see how well it works.Then I will put it out for commercial use.

Power is not a concern for me right now.The server company handles it.

Credits to jfnllc also for the advice.

However the only problem right now is that if the E5 does not come back in stock soon,I might have to settle for the E3 1240 v3 for the time being.E5 seems to be on high demand.

Can someone also tell me generally how is the performance of 1240v3 considering the unfortunate event that I may have to settle for the 1240 v3 for the time being.

E5 will outpreform E3 plus much higher ram capacity, for Renting servers there is nothing on E3 side. +1 to E5

E5 has more cache and is a lot faster go for it.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard