Resell Colo Space

Do datacenters typically allow you to resell or "share" space; say if you buy a quarter rack and then take on a few other 1Us? Or is that generally not permitted?

Depends on the data center. Some have a strict policy against this and some could care less. You should always talk to the DC and tell them what you wish to do with the space you are leasing.
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Hosting, Connectivity, Professional Services

Quote Originally Posted by ocosa View Post
    Depends on the data center. Some have a strict policy against this and some could care less. You should always talk to the DC and tell them what you wish to do with the space you are leasing.
    Really? I've never heard of a datacenter having a policy against this. If you wanted to give your sub-client access to the space or something, then I could definitely see a potential problem, but AFAIK every datacenter will let you sell space inside your own leased space.

You should be able to provide sub-clients with access, we've never had an issue with that. You can contact your facility of choice to confirm.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by neXeon View Post
    You should be able to provide sub-clients with access, we've never had an issue with that. You can contact your facility of choice to confirm.
    For physical access, that's definitely more of a facility-dependent type of thing and will depend on their security policies. Sometimes, for instance, that would require having the facility add your sub-client to a biometric system, which isn't always entirely trivial to do. I'd hazard a guess and say that the more corporate the company/datacenter, the more stringent their security policies and the more difficult it would be to secure a sub-client physical access.

Quote Originally Posted by JGoldman View Post
    Really? I've never heard of a datacenter having a policy against this. If you wanted to give your sub-client access to the space or something, then I could definitely see a potential problem, but AFAIK every datacenter will let you sell space inside your own leased space.
    Yep. There are some data centers that are very strict. As I've said, I've seen some that don't care and some that do. The point was to simply ask the data center to find out what their policies are.
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Hosting, Connectivity, Professional Services

OK, that's some good clarifying info. You can def sell space (how do they know who owns the server), but they can't service their systems? You'd have to accompany them?

This statement is incorrect because, not every data center lets you sell space within a lease space. I have seen contracts against this.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudComputingLV View Post
    This statement is incorrect because, not every data center lets you sell space within a lease space. I have seen contracts against this.
    Okay, perhaps not "every data center", but the vast majority of commercial datacenters that I've ever come into contact with? Do you know of any commercial data centers off the top of your head that routinely don't permit clients to resell space? I can't think of any even remotely major ones...

Quote Originally Posted by FBSDguru View Post
    OK, that's some good clarifying info. You can def sell space (how do they know who owns the server), but they can't service their systems? You'd have to accompany them?
    It -really- depends on the datacenter and the access/authorization procedures. That's going to vary by almost every single building, so unfortunately it's impossible to give you a single answer.

Is your core business reselling (or IT management, etc)?
    SingleHop | Chicago - New York - Phoenix - Amsterdam | People Empowered by Automation
    TJ Waldorf | VP, Inside Sales & Marketing | @tj_waldorf | twaldorf @ singlehop.com | poweredby.ai

It depends on each data center. Some may have a very strict policy against this while others can care less. It's something you have to sit down and talk to the data center management and see if you are allowed to or not and if yes then go over every aspect if that topic.

I personally wouldn't see it as a problem at all. If a person pays for that area / spot then they are entitled to do what ever they want to with is as long as they do not hurt the data center in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Waldorf View Post
    Is your core business reselling (or IT management, etc)?
    No. It would be a way to get better space/bandwidth at a lower price. So instead of buying a 1U space at say $200/mo, get a 1/4 rack for $500 and resell enough space to cover the cost to effectively make it no cost to me.

I have to factor in the value of my time if I have to service their systems for them, or meet them there every time they want to add memory or crash a drive. An alternative would be to put up a 2nd host myself dedicated to hosting and sell low-cost tiered hosting. Lots of ideas; hard to finalize them without detailed pricing info.
    Last edited by FBSDguru; 11-28-2013 at 09:19 AM.

No. It would be a way to get better space/bandwidth at a lower price. So instead of buying a 1U space at say $200/mo, get a 1/4 rack for $500 and resell enough space to cover the cost to effectively make it no cost to me.

I have to factor in the value of my time if I have to service their systems for them, or meet them there every time they want to add memory or crash a drive. An alternative would be to put up a 2nd host myself dedicated to hosting and sell low-cost tiered hosting. Lots of ideas; hard to finalize them without detailed pricing info.
    Free entry to the DC?

In many Data Centers, they want to save time so their smaller package is 1 full rack.

However, some people do not need 1 full rack but would like to colocate in that DC, they then need to find a reseller.

In most DC, they normally ask you to send them access application in advance while they do not care whoever they are. So, reseller an take the role to send application whenever its own customers need to access the DC.

I have over 10 racks in Hong Kong available. Who would like to resell?
    haha
    Alex - info[@]serverhk.org
    Server Hong Kong Company - The optimized choice
    No limitation at service scope but promise you always the best price for whatever service level required.

Most data centers i deal with if you rent a cabinet you can put whatever you want In there it's your leased space.

Best Regards

Most data centers will want you to accompany your client to the data center and additionally add them as a "visitor" before your visit by either opening a ticket or calling your point of contact at the data center. There are to many risks in having a non contract signing / non authorized person into a data center with out some kind of paper or email trail.

Do datacenters typically allow you to resell or "share" space; say if you buy a quarter rack and then take on a few other 1Us? Or is that generally not permitted?
    Generally not, you are also increasing their income as they still get their flat costs, I never had an issue and I doubt you will.

But access for several people can become a ball ache, so it depends how you want to work that

Quote Originally Posted by thedediguy View Post
    Generally not, you are also increasing their income as they still get their flat costs, I never had an issue and I doubt you will.

But access for several people can become a ball ache, so it depends how you want to work that
    You're not increasing the data center's income by re-leasing space... You're actually taking a potential customer from them. Because your cabinet will now be using more power but not increasing the MRC. However, there is still a benefit to the data center for leasing a larger cabinet than the first client needed.

It's generally OK, but permitting access to multiple parties is always going to be a headache. In this case, your sales rep might just recommend you do shared U.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

It can be done depending on the contract. A lot of high end facilities see this as a security risk so they wont. Others see them as potential income to they would allow.

As many of said, it depends on the facility. The big guys typically don't care, especially given the example you described.

Adam
    LionLink Networks
    Ashburn Data Center Colocation, Infrastructure Solutions, and Premium Optimized Connectivity
    Infrastructure and Colocation Solutions For All Sizes - Managed Services - Dedicated Servers - Data Center Consulting - Now POP'd @ RagingWire!
    Adam Blackington | www.lionlink.net | [email protected] | (844) DATA-CENTER | Ashburn Colocation

It's Your Leased Space

The comment above is correct, but it does vary by the company. I currently work in a data center, if your paying for the space, it's yours.

Don't expect the data centre to differentiate your sub-clients from you. Unless they specifically have a reseller program in place, you should expect that any contact is listed on the account either has access or not. As such, generally you would not have sub-clients listed, and would have to provide all access to the facility yourself.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami