Dedicated / VPS Gaming reccomendation

Hello,

I am with a small group of guys who just wish to run various game servers (Minecraft / ArmaII-Dayz / Teamspeak etc.)

Looking for a bit of education on the server setups i know the range of Hardware were looking for but i get a little lost when looking through all the offers on stuff like control panel / domain requirements etc.

Were looking for a Windows Server based system we can remote into either via Logmein or directly with remote desktop connection.

Hardware/Network specs were shopping around for would be approximately :

CPU 4-8 Cores 3Ghz +
    Memory 8Gb - 16Gb.
    Storage 500Gb +
    Bandwith 6 - 10Tb Monthly.
    100Mbit connection +
    Windows Server Standard with remote desktop access.
    Budget $50 - $80 /monthly willing to sign for 6/mo for the right price / service.

Not sure if this falls in line with realistic expectations or not I keep hearing other Game admins getting deals much better then what I just listed here so I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

not sure most of these are offering terminal / cpanel / Webmin I am unsure which of these are for us for hosting game servers.

DNS options I'm not sureof here, Should I be registering a domain name first or when i look at offers asking me to give the box a domain name its including registration?

Help / Recommendations / << snipped >> / Comments open to education

BruteMan
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Last edited by net; 11-26-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Moved > Game Servers.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Moved > Game Servers.
    Thank You, Sorry I never even seen the small subcategory for Game Servers in the forums.

With that server configuration you would be looking at $100+

Are you planning on running a website on yor server aswell?

It may be wise to setup a local test box before investing in a large dedi. Maybe look into Proxmox if you want to go the VM route, or something like GameCP (never tried it).
    By the looks of your price range, and the resource needs of this project, you may not be able to get good enough service for the price. I would expect to pay ~$200/m for a box like that. It's unfortunate there are no good datacenters for colocation here in Ottawa.

Have you considered how you are going to handle IP addresses? The big guys give out single IPv4s to each game server. If you want to do it this way, you may be stuck with a host that can offer you a number of IPs at a (relatively) inexpensive price.

The best option is to register a domain elsewhere, and point it to your server. Not much DNS configuration is involved, I would just use an A RECORD at my registrar pointing to your public IP.

Liam in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by btcbit View Post
    It may be wise to setup a local test box before investing in a large dedi. Maybe look into Proxmox if you want to go the VM route, or something like GameCP (never tried it).
    By the looks of your price range, and the resource needs of this project, you may not be able to get good enough service for the price. I would expect to pay ~$200/m for a box like that. It's unfortunate there are no good datacenters for colocation here in Ottawa.

Have you considered how you are going to handle IP addresses? The big guys give out single IPv4s to each game server. If you want to do it this way, you may be stuck with a host that can offer you a number of IPs at a (relatively) inexpensive price.

The best option is to register a domain elsewhere, and point it to your server. Not much DNS configuration is involved, I would just use an A RECORD at my registrar pointing to your public IP.

Liam in Ottawa
    Thank you both for the replies I'll investigate it further it doesn't have to be in the Ottawa area in fact I'm finding during all my shopping around its cheaper to get a Montreal box via a US / international supplier. OVH.com so far seems to have the best deals for s game server box and yes single IPV4 is fine as everything is ports on that same IP. The Group are just looking for stable box to setup various game servers not running more then 1-2 different game servers at the same time which is why I'm looking for a windows box as id much prefer a Linux but some of the game data they use needs Net framework / windows only executable.

Another bit of advise - many games attract DDoS attacks. Minecraft is one of them.
    Be at a hoster that can mitigate them, or have a plan B.

OVH has DDoS mitigation, however I have no experience in how well it fares (seen mixed reviews).

If it doesn't have to be a physical machine, have a look at NFOservers.com. Their VPS are good, and they'll mitigate smaller attacks for you.

You might be able to squeeze a box like that in certain US locations for around $80 with Windows. That budget is really pushing it though.

If you need a game panel, TCAdmin works well. However, since it's only a few game server apps, you can run them manually to save yourself a few dollars.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

You should try out phoenixnap they have servers in VA. I think they have ddos protection.

Also Reliable is amazing aswell and are located in NYC/NJ. I believe they auto-null route for ddos protection.

Support for both sites are fast and helpful.
    Remember when ordering a server from a new company use a Credit Card. Paypal will not refund your money if you get scammed.

dove in the group chose to try NFOServers VPS

Four full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
    4096 MB of RAM
    400 GB of RAID-protected storage
    4000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

added another 4 gig ram all for under $80/mo with win 2008 Std. so far its been running great for us with 3 Game servers on it one being Minecraft hogging up 4 of the 8 gigs of ram

will return with a report in a week or 2 once were more used to the box and see how it runs over time.

NFO has always been pretty good for me, in my experience with them.

I've had multiple game servers, a few VPSs, and one Dedicated Server with them over the past couple of years.

Nfo is really good if you don't want to worry. I had a vps for a while from them and it was great.

Your budget is low also in Canada within your budget will be ovh.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

You can just install GNOME and xrdp on Linux, it'll save you the cost of buying a Windows