Guys, I just bought an unmanaged VPS and want to learn how to use it without control panel. I used to have kloxo in my VPS so I am not that hard to teach. I don't have control panel and other stuffs so that I can fully utilize my RAM and hard disk.
So, from scratch:
* I bought the VPS having domain1.com as hostname.
* Installed Debian minimal install as OS.
then intalled these software stack (I got the commands from an LEB post, just ask if I need to link it, I just don't want to promote a different webhosting website here at WHT):
* dropbear to replace openssh. Invoked from xinetd.
* inetutils-syslogd to replace rsyslog.
* exim4 to replace sendmail (if installed). Re-configured to allow Internet delivery.
* mysql. Re-configured to remove innodb support, remove query cache and reduce key buffer size.
* php with built-in FastCGI interface. Running only 1 child process and respawn after 5,000 requests.
So let's say they gave me the VPS ip address: xxx.xx.abc.def
And I want to use another domain, say domain2.com
I know that there's at least 2 things I must do to "connect" the VPS to my domain.
First, "DNS" my want-to domain, that tweaks in my domain provider website. First question, how to do this? I was only given an IP address, is it in A-record?
Second, "put that domain in my VPS". So how can I do this? As far as I know, I want my domains to have each root directory to /var/www/domain2.com But I really have no idea how to do this.
Please help. I'll make a complete guide about these after learning these stuffs, so no more noobish question like this on the internet.