Co-location in Fort Lauderdale Area

I'm somewhat frustrated by the availability of pricing info and details about hosting; I'm moving a server from a remote location and I need at minimum a 1U space with a decent amount of bandwidth.

If someone could help me find the choices in the area (I'm in downtown Fort Lauderdale) it would be very helpful.

I'm in the business of selling equipment to hosting companies so I'm open to a trade for space as well; but what I really want is to find out the actual choices. I know about Peak10 and Volico and Quadranet; information on pricing and reliability about them would be useful.

There's Netrouting somewhere in that area.

When I put a google search for colocation facility fort lauderdale florida these are just a few of the sites I found

http://www.southfloridacolocation.com/

http://www.peak10.com/data-center-se...cation-service

http://www.volico.com/services/coloc...tion-overview/

Why not head to Miami? It's a half hour drive from Fort Lauderdale.

Quote Originally Posted by Console View Post
    Why not head to Miami? It's a half hour drive from Fort Lauderdale.
    That depends on where in Fort Lauderdale he is. I drove from pompano north of the city of Fort Lauderdale bit still called Fort Lauderdale by some and on the interstate it took over an hour to get to downtown Miami where the heat play. And about 30-45 minutes from davie/south Fort Lauderdale it also depends on time of day, where in Miami etc. really anywhere in there I county area of south Florida would be a good option for the op

Yes, I'm familiar with Google Like I said Im frustrated with the things that are easy to find. There must be other choices.

I'm hoping to get some tips from those who've done the legwork or have actual experiences. southfloridacolocation.com is traci.net and they look like a small concern charging the same or more than the big guys.

I've been using a small ISP; I had an office down the hall and we just ran a wire so it was very convenient to have our host in the office; their main line would go down and we'd get 300ms ping times; They had a dispute with one of their providers and there was no backup for a month. Small ISPs have their downsides.

volico doesn't have an option less than 1/4 rack. I'm wary of places that won't publish their pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by sjr2004 View Post
    That depends on where in Fort Lauderdale he is. I drove from pompano north of the city of Fort Lauderdale bit still called Fort Lauderdale by some and on the interstate it took over an hour to get to downtown Miami where the heat play. And about 30-45 minutes from davie/south Fort Lauderdale it also depends on time of day, where in Miami etc. really anywhere in there I county area of south Florida would be a good option for the op
    Right, 30 miles only translates to a half hour at 6AM on Sunday.

I'd have the same questions about Miami. I know there are data centers. I just don't know which are good and which are just a lot of marketing garb. I understand the business; the smallest ISPs look just like the big ones on the web, and visiting 10 places is time consuming.

PS: While I'm waiting to be allowed to make another post; the system also won't let you quote respond to a post with URLS until you've made your 5 posts; seems like a bug.

Broward county is lacking data centers. We looked for a facility closer to our offices in Fort Lauderdale and ended up renegotiating with Terremark. If you are set on Broward the best and one of the few facilities is Peak10.

Most of the data centers are located in Dade and will be downtown by the arena, surrounding Miami International, or way out west. Pick your poison, the turnpike or I-95

In regards to facilities in Miami it all depends on what you are looking for. Many choices, maybe expand on your needs a bit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by server305 View Post
    Broward county is lacking data centers. We looked for a facility closer to our offices in Fort Lauderdale and ended up renegotiating with Terremark. If you are set on Broward the best and one of the few facilities is Peak10.

Most of the data centers are located in Dade and will be downtown by the arena, surrounding Miami International, or way out west. Pick your poison, the turnpike or I-95

In regards to facilities in Miami it all depends on what you are looking for. Many choices, maybe expand on your needs a bit for us.
    PEAK10 and Host.net are right next to each other on W Commercial. Convenient as I'm downtown. Just wary of the Behemoth "we dont really need your business" kind of experience. I "may" get a place in Brickell so Miami isn't out of the question.

My "needs" aren't big; I have 2 sites that do maybe 300GB a month, one of which is growing. But I may do some hosting, and possibly launching another site that could be larger. Im also considering doing some hosting so something that is expandable or can take at least 2 1U systems is preferable.

Currently the server is in NY and I pay 110/mo for unmetered bandwidth; supposedly 100Mb/s but getting more than 8MB/s at any time is challenging. They have some sort of managed switch that they won't admit to. We just have a wire as our office is down the hall from the ISP. The building has free power and we don't take up any space, but the circuit does serve the office's internet connection also.

I don't mind paying more if I get more for it. I'd "prefer" to not have to deal with metering, as ISPs cheat and there's no way to challenge their data.

Yes, we work on East Commercial right up the street, so are very close.

If it is just one server, you want to stay local, and need to access your server frequently we have heard good things about Peak 10. If the power was less expensive we would have moved some of our servers to this facility.

Since you are in Lauderdale (or Brickell) I would avoid the drive out to West Dade, and the several warehouse data centers in the dangerous area prone to flooding by the airport.
    Here are a few options below we considered. Just verify they offer 1u colo as we did not research that.

1. There is a new Equinix facility(MI3)in Boca which is not too bad of a drive from Ft Lauderdale.

2. Downtown you have Interconnect Miami, Colohouse and Telx all in the same building at 36 NE 2nd.

3. Someone in the New World Tower downtown maybe an option?

4. Nap of the Americas or one of the many providers in that facility is right there as well across from the arena.
    Last edited by server305; 11-27-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by server305 View Post
    Yes, we work on East Commercial right up the street, so are very close.

If it is just one server, you want to stay local, and need to access your server frequently we have heard good things about Peak 10. If the power was less expensive we would have moved some of our servers to this facility.

Since you are in Lauderdale (or Brickell) I would avoid the drive out to West Dade, and the several warehouse data centers in the dangerous area prone to flooding by the airport.
    Here are a few options below we considered. Just verify they offer 1u colo as we did not research that.

1. There is a new Equinix facility(MI3)in Boca which is not too bad of a drive from Ft Lauderdale.

2. Downtown you have Interconnect Miami, Colohouse and Telx all in the same building at 36 NE 2nd.

3. Someone in the New World Tower downtown maybe an option?

4. Nap of the Americas or one of the many providers in that facility is right there as well across from the arena.
    Do you mean the power charges are Peak10 are high?

For our needs they could not compete with the quotes for power in Dade county, but might be reasonable for several units of space.

host.net is in Fort Lauderdale as well
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by quotecolo View Post
    host.net is in Fort Lauderdale as well
    I mentioned that it was a block or 2 from peak10. What are the distinctions between the 2?

Host.net is a local data center operator while Peak10 is more enterprise and they offer several different data center locations in the south east
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by sjr2004 View Post
    When I put a google search for colocation facility fort lauderdale florida these are just a few of the sites I found

http://www.southfloridacolocation.com/

http://www.peak10.com/data-center-se...cation-service

http://www.volico.com/services/coloc...tion-overview/
    http://www.volico.com/facilities/deerfield-data-center/ is a better link that shows the details of our Broward Facility.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.