Thread: OpenVZ or KVM

OpenVZ or KVM

Hello,
    We are currently planning to make some VPS'es for sale, however we are unsure about whether we should use OpenVZ or KVM.
    I know that OpenVZ is lighter and easier to use but on the other hand KVM is more advanced.
    Could you please give recommendations on which technology to use? And do customers prefer OVZ or KVM more?
    Thanks in advance.
    James.

Just started a hosting company reselling KVM's. Generally speaking, KVM is better preforming but more complicated than OpenVZ. One important limitation to OpenVZ is the fact that it doesn't support multiple kernels. Therefore, OpenVZ containers can only be Linux, and once they are created their image can not be changed.

It's a personal choice, it seems. Both options will serve you and your clients well, assuming the rest of your service can.

Yes, KVM is more flexible on the OS but it has more overhead. Would you prefer KVM or OVZ more if you are the customer?

I would prefer VMware or XEN over OPENVZ/KVM

I would go for KVM. Tested and works well especially for the client side.

Personally, we are still prefer xen due to its stability and performance.

I would say KVM is the better route, especially if I were the client.

I prefer KVM for stability and better performance

As a customer I will prefer:
    Higher memory VPS -> KVM
    Low memory VPS -> OpenVZ

OpenVZ is good when servers are managed properly. But no doubt KVM is more stable etc. Offer both OpenVZ & KVM or start with OpenVZ and offer KVM later.

Okay, but KVM is harder to manage in terms of the OS, how do you overcome that?

I would say both of them, but if you offer Windows as well. then I would say go with KVM first.

kvm is more stable and runs like a dedicated box because everything is truly isolated. Also kvm is centos' supported virtualization choice and comes packaged with their distributions. Since we only use centos v6 we are solely going to use kvm from now on. Openvz is ok for light customers but if you have high end customers with lots of usage and processing it won't be a good choice long term unless you really know how to optimize it.

You are about to start a company, would your Market research not have revealed to you what your potential Clients want?

How good is your Sysadmin running OpenVZ and KVM nodes? Heck, if you want, you can run both (even on the same node - Proxmox does).

There are reasons for /against each and every option. OpenVZ is amazing when run on a non-overloaded Node, but lends itself to very easily over-selling and therefore overloading a node.

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    You are about to start a company, would your Market research not have revealed to you what your potential Clients want?
    I'd say this thread is a great example of market research.

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    How good is your Sysadmin running OpenVZ and KVM nodes? Heck, if you want, you can run both (even on the same node - Proxmox does).
    You're right, Proxmox is a great admin software. But beware, it handles OpenVZ containers so easily you might be too lazy to invest some time in KVM

Quote Originally Posted by btcbit View Post
    I'd say this thread is a great example of market research.
    I would say it is a Terrible example of Market research!

First off, nowhere has the OP established whom his clients are going to be - the first thing you need to Identify is the Market.

Quote Originally Posted by btcbit View Post
    You're right, Proxmox is a great admin software. But beware, it handles OpenVZ containers so easily you might be too lazy to invest some time in KVM
    Nope, I would not say Proxmox is great, it is an Example of a hypervisor solution that will allow mixed container types, so you are NOT limited to a single technology when starting out before having (multiple) nodes for OpenVZ and KVM if that is what is ultimately chosen.

Thanks to all who have replied, I now have decided to get 2 nodes, one running OVZ and one running KVM, I'll test the orders/clients and make the final decision.

KVM Hands down always, personally i've never liked OpenVZ, unless the VM RAM is <96MB.

Quote Originally Posted by NT-James View Post
    Thanks to all who have replied, I now have decided to get 2 nodes, one running OVZ and one running KVM, I'll test the orders/clients and make the final decision.

This really is the best way to learn which is the best option for your clients combined with your administration abilities. Cheers for wanting to learn and put forth the effort.