Wordpress HTML Code Editing

In my wordpress website, I want to edit certain HTML codes, including deleting lines and adding new codes.

I want to get the flexibility associated with HTML for my wordpress website. Possible to make changes to the base HTML codes ? Like even deferring javascripts on certain pages.
    Last edited by mousebreak; 11-25-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Every Wordpress site/template is different, but generally speaking, if you want to edit code directly, you look inside 'Appearance' => 'Editor'.

Some frameworks will pull as much code as possible out of view within the editor and make it difficult or impossible to edit effectively. So YMMV.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

It's certainly possible to edit your theme, but it's going to take a bit of learning. First look into creating a child theme if you don't have one yet so that your changes don't get overwritten, and that you don't destroy your theme.

Here's a handy chart on WordPress theme hierarchy, ie. how the template files relate to the content of your site.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

Like if my wordpress site doesn't have google analytics and now I want to input those codes.

How could those be done? No simple and quick ways?

The most convenient way to add Google Analytics to your site is via plugin. There are many available on WordPress.org plugin repository - http://wordpress.org/plugins/search....ogle+analytics
    www.WebHostingPH.com >> Secure, Reliable and Affordable PH Web Hosting Provider

Marvs is correct. If you're doing something that many website owners are doing, there's a plugin for that. I would recommend that you don't edit the templates for stuff that can easily and reliably added with a plugin.

I'm using Yoast's Google Analytics plugin.

7. all in one seo plugin is awesome try it. don't edit the html/php code manually unless you are aware what you are doing and what consequences it will have on you site.
    Compare the best web hosting at best-web-hosting.org

Quote Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
    Marvs is correct. If you're doing something that many website owners are doing, there's a plugin for that. I would recommend that you don't edit the templates for stuff that can easily and reliably added with a plugin.

I'm using Yoast's Google Analytics plugin.
    I know HTML, thus would love to have some form of access to it even in the wordpress site.

Any ideas for this? I don't prefer having plugins for everything, much rather have direct access to the template itself.

As a previous poster mentioned, child themes are certainly the best option. But if you're like me and you'd rather hack your way through, you can login to your server with FTP and look for these key template files. Note that I put [twentythirteen] in brackets. Please change this to the name of your template.

Header.php is included in loading every page. This is where a manual install of Google Tracking code could would go.
    /www/wp-content/themes/[twentythirteen]/header.php

Footer.php is included at the bottom of every page.
    /www/wp-content/themes/[twentythirteen]/footer.php

Here's a good cheat-sheet on how Wordpress takes all of these theme files and compiles them into a deliverable page. Go to the WordPress Codex and search for Template Hierarchy > Visual Overview
    (sorry this board is not letting me post links)

Edit: It would be wise to backup /www/wp-content/themes/* before frying the bacon.

You can access all your theme files via your hosting account. If you have a cPanel server, you can use file manager. Or FTP. It's very simple to add google analytics code to footer.php (better to put any tracking code in the footer than in the header).

I don't use plugins for simple things like this either.

Quote Originally Posted by mousebreak View Post
    I know HTML, thus would love to have some form of access to it even in the wordpress site.
    The previous two commenters provided you with the tools to access your theme. Be careful with that. There's no plain HTML to edit which is the case with almost every content management system out there.

You can start by reading about themes in the WordPress Codex. The link above is really helpful when you're actually working with them.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Themes

"theme editor" comes in-between those two. are you logged in as the "admin" ? And, is this a installation you did or are you working on like a "wordpress.com" multi-blog platform ? That would be different.

Wordpress is already strictly coded and you can only edit it so much. You can't really do the things you mentioned because it would cause a whole bunch of other compatibility and stability issues.
    My Site : Chi Chi's Floral [Under Construction - Link Coming Soon!]

Hosted by: Myhosting.com - 10 months and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by standingoten View Post
    Wordpress is already strictly coded and you can only edit it so much. You can't really do the things you mentioned because it would cause a whole bunch of other compatibility and stability issues.
    Of course you're not supposed to edit WordPress code, but we're not talking about that. Child themes are the obvious place to customize your site.

Quote Originally Posted by mousebreak View Post
    Like if my wordpress site doesn't have google analytics and now I want to input those codes.

How could those be done? No simple and quick ways?
    Is your site a Wordpress.org or .com site? You should be able to download the "All in One SEO Pack" plugin, and toward the bottom of the main window after install, there is a whole section dedicated to connecting your Google accounts. PM me if you need help.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers