Hostgator getting worse by the day?

I have been a Hostgator user for nearly 10 years now and their service in the first 8 years was always fantastic. Quick to respond on chat, polite customer service and no major issues.

In the last 2 years, I have noticed that their service levels have gone done considerably. Many of the emails sent using our company accounts are being marked as spam and same for incoming emails from our customers, who have been emailing us for a long time, without any problems before. They are not even interested in looking at the issue and simply blame the ISP's of senders, even though the same senders had no issues at all.

Their chat response time, which used to be 2-3 minutes waiting has gone up to 20+ minutes of waiting on most occasions.

They never do any automatic back-ups of my files, because of their "file limits".

I tried to submit a support ticket on their website and the form was buggy so the ticket never got submitted (and I am not a new to all this). I am seriously considering migrating now and my only concern is that because my websites have been hosted their for so long, what sort of SEO impact would my sites have if I migrate servers?

Also very keen on some recommendations for alternatives, but only those offered from large companies that have been in business for a few years and have a very solid reputation online.

HostGator appears to have gone down the hill ever since their acquisition by EIG. Read around WHT and you'll find plenty of disgruntled ex-HG customers.

I'll advise you to look at smaller companies too. It doesn't mean that the service will be great if the company is big and the converse applies too.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

I dont think you will have any negative SEO impacts. I know plenty of our clients didn't face issues when moving. The issue you may face is one I've seen several dozen times weekly. When copying from HG, the host will most likely need to download a copy of the full cpanel backup, then restore it. Either HG recognizes we are migrating an account and slows it to almost a halt, or their servers are really that slow.
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanelŽ Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

Host gator has been getting a lot of bad reviews and complaints about their services and support. They are going downhill pretty fast, sins EIG took over it's all been out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Stream101 View Post
    Either HG recognizes we are migrating an account and slows it to almost a halt, or their servers are really that slow.
    Migrating customers out of BlueHost is even worse. Better to use an automated tool and run the backup remotely.
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Quote Originally Posted by on_way_to_fame View Post
    what sort of SEO impact would my sites have if I migrate servers?
    Hostgator is a slow, overloaded, EIG-owned budget host. If you move to a better hosts, since Google now take site speed into consideration, your SEO might actually improve.

Move now. ASAP!
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Many of the emails sent using our company accounts are being marked as spam and same for incoming emails from our customers, who have been emailing us for a long time, without any problems before. They are not even interested in looking at the issue and simply blame the ISP's of senders, even though the same senders had no issues at all.
    Depending on why the messages are failing it's entirely possible the issue is on the sender's end.

We see this from time to time - a message gets blocked from a sender that had worked fine previously. It turns out another user on the same server [on the sender's end] sent SPAM which got the mailing IP for the remote third-party server blocked somewhere like SpamCop, etc.

Just as you may have issues with outbound mail that you blame on HostGator - those trying to send mail to you may have issues with outbound mail and it wouldn't make sense to blame it on HostGator any more than you would blame your HostGator issues on third parties.

They never do any automatic back-ups of my files, because of their "file limits".
    I wouldn't rely upon a provider's backups regardless of who they were. That said - last I heard HostGator's file limits were reasonable [but that could have changed].

I tried to submit a support ticket on their website and the form was buggy so the ticket never got submitted (and I am not a new to all this). I am seriously considering migrating now and my only concern is that because my websites have been hosted their for so long, what sort of SEO impact would my sites have if I migrate servers?
    I'd suggest moving to another cPanel based provider where you can simply restore your cPanel backup and, once you verify everything is working at the new provider, *then* update DNS.

You shouldn't have any impact to your SEO so long as you make sure that you don't experience more than 72 hours of downtime. Google does understand that it is possible to have an outage outside of your control so they don't drop you from the web immediately and, even if they do, generally you'll come back right where you were so long as it wasn't longer than 2 to 3 days.

Done right - you should have 0 downtime.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    Migrating customers out of BlueHost is even worse. Better to use an automated tool and run the backup remotely.
    Agreed! I migrated 2 people last week and it SUCKED!
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanelŽ Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Stream101 View Post
    Agreed! I migrated 2 people last week and it SUCKED!
    Lol yes, I worked with a customer that ended up with a few reseller accounts with us. The kicker was there were 150+ sites to migrate! Needless to say, it took about a week to fully move everything because the transfers were so slooooooooooooooooow.

Not to mention, the hostnames/IP's kept changing...almost like they're just moving stuff around, willy-nilly.
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

I remember the only good thing I would hear about them was their price and customer service, never rave reviews about their quality though.

They polish a bad product and people love it. GD does it too.

In the last 2 years, I have noticed that their service levels have gone done considerably. Many of the emails sent using our company accounts are being marked as spam and same for incoming emails from our customers, who have been emailing us for a long time, without any problems before.
    You can check blacklist status of mail server IP here
    Were your websites moved to a "new server" recently?
    Most people experience issue only after HG transfer servers to their own data center.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

but only those offered from large companies that have been in business for a few years and have a very solid reputation online.

You will get a ton of EIG+HG= Run for the hills, so no need to say it again....which I just did

Big companies do not always equal quality service. The majority of hosts that are "big companies" are actually just as bad as HG or owned by EIG...so you would be leaving a bad situation to go into another bad situation.

Here a good game plan;

1. Look in the offers section http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

2. Write down 5 hosts that fit your needs

3. Search for reviews about those hosts on here

4. contact them with every possible question you could think of

5. when you decide on the host, let them take care of the migration for you

I hope that helps. General rule...picking a host because it's cheap will bring you back here looking for help again in a week.

This has got something to do with the recent acquisition of hostgator by the EIG brand
    Epidrive Webhosting Solutions - Premium Quality Hosting Made Affordable
    Berry Servers - The Most Affordable VPS Servers

Quote Originally Posted by FrapHost View Post
    This has got something to do with the recent acquisition of hostgator by the EIG brand
    Recent = June 2012. Not that recent.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Their service is really bad now!
    ADELINAhost.com - Since 2012. Web Hosting, VPS and Dedicated Servers in more than 10 locations
    Locations: USA, Netherlands, France, Germany, UK, Canada, Czech, Singapore, Japan, Australia, Russia & Ukraine.
    24/7 Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee | Linux and Windows

HG has been a great hosting before and I believe that there customer support was exceptional, well at least before EIG took it.

As far SEO concerns, as long as you can retain your urls, or if you will apply redirections properly then there won't be any noticeable impact on your site's SEO

I'm gonna move away from HostGator. Their IT are so dump.

Troubled by HostGator service

I've noticed a degradation of HostGator's customer service for at least six months, maybe longer. I finally asked one of their support staff today if they'd been purchased by another company. To my surprise, it's been over a year since Endurance International - EIG - bought them out. I'd checked HostGator's "about us" last month and saw no mention of a parent company.

I'll be sorry to leave for another hosting company, because the first years of service were fantastic. When my reseller account's renewal date arrives in June, I'll seriously consider switching to another company. Already started collecting ideas.

Another omg HG thread, things must be really falling apart at HG these days...

I'm leaving HostGator too!
    After 3 years with no problems, now they are getting slow and support is very bad.

Of course it is! That is what happens when a company is bought by EIG.

They were in SingleHop which is a really top notch data-center. Now they are moving to the overloaded servers and network in EIG's data-center.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

They were in SingleHop
    facts our a bit off
    they were in soft-layer/theplanet/EV1 since the beginning
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Sorry you are right my bad. My memory miss-served me. SoftLayer is also a nice provider.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups