Is it good to have more than one domain name

At the moment i have one main domain name i use with a main keyword in the title but i was thinking is it a good idea to use a few different domain names using other keywords and do i just point them to the main domain. sorry for my lack of knowledge

It's better to have 1 domain name and then different pages (xxx.com/keyword) or subdomains (keyword.xxx.com) targeting different keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by grasshoppersean View Post
    At the moment i have one main domain name i use with a main keyword in the title but i was thinking is it a good idea to use a few different domain names using other keywords and do i just point them to the main domain. sorry for my lack of knowledge
    you didn't note what your goal is. That would make the answer simpler. I'll take a shot anyhow...

goal1: search engine strategy/traffic generation
    you need: as many domains as you could publish & update with quality relevant non-duplicated content on

goal2: make sure you are simply not leaving type in traffic on the table
    you can: point the other domains at the main one. won't help in search engines

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    It's better to have 1 domain name and then different pages (xxx.com/keyword) or subdomains (keyword.xxx.com) targeting different keywords.
    I have not thought of it that way. my site is set out with the main domain name(my company name) and then subdomains that are separate pages describing the services i offer ie. hedge trimming, turfing, lawn treatments. so i guess that should be helping targeting the different keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by @alternativepayments View Post
    you didn't note what your goal is. That would make the answer simpler. I'll take a shot anyhow...

goal1: search engine strategy/traffic generation
    you need: as many domains as you could publish & update with quality relevant non-duplicated content on

goal2: make sure you are simply not leaving type in traffic on the table
    you can: point the other domains at the main one. won't help in search engines
    thanks for the replys. my goal is to target the different keywords to make me come up in the listing for all my services. i only have one website and i have bought some other domains that have keywords in them for my services and they have been pointed at the main site. is that not going to help with the search engines.

If you are just trying to make a nice deep site with good keyword inspired info about your services then I would go with the 3rd level idea keyword.xxx.com. I like to use them, my seo guy tells me it doesnt help anymore than having the same info on xxx.com/keyword. He says it's the same thing. I like 3rd levels for information organization purposes.

redirecting/"pointing" other domains at your main domain will not help you. If people would type them in then swell.

if you have a local service like lawn care then you have a good shot at making it in the listings you care about just by making a good site with real information.
    Do all the simple things:
    -clearly state your service area and what you do at the top of your main page in clear language
    -list your address / location in text
    -get a google places/plus listing
    -get your clients to review your service on goog+, yelp, etc (look up local moving companies to see how they've used the crap out of this this)
    -think about what your customer is going to be googling for and what they would see for the snippet in the goog results
    Last edited by @alternativepayments; 11-25-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling-5th grade lvl

Thanks. i am doing a few of those things ie. google place and + but i find it hard getting customers to review my services on google plus as most of them dont have an account only facebook.