Thread: My server

* My server

This seems like the place to ask about this situation as there are so many knowledgeable people here.

I have Fairpoint Communications DSL. They are not known for their exemplary service. But, I have a new problem with them. Recently, I am periodically unable to send emails. The message is basically "Too many connections. Try again later." BUT if I reboot the mail sends, at least for a while.

My question: If my server is really busy can they block me specifically if I am using it a lot? Would they just block email, because I can still go to websites successfully, even though it slows down to a crawl and then sometimes just freezes. I sometimes get script errors.

So, when I reboot and can send again, do they monitor my traffic from that point and that's why it works again. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Last edited by Suezeekay; 11-24-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add additional comments

Most providers these days will limit mail sending through their servers, especially a DSL provider. They are trying to stop spammers paying the trivial cost of a DSL line and affecting their reputation

What sort of mail volume are you sending?

Emails per day

I send about 3-5 emails per day.

One thing you could try is using mail submission port 587 instead of smtp. Submission is often treated a bit more liberally since SMTP is more often abused

* Fairpoint ports

Quote Originally Posted by ngardiner View Post
    One thing you could try is using mail submission port 587 instead of smtp. Submission is often treated a bit more liberally since SMTP is more often abused
    I surfed around and found someone who called Fairpoint and they told them if they were having trouble sending emails to use port 1025. the next time my emails won't send I'll try this. thank you for suggesting that I change this because this is a subject I knew nothing about.

No problem at all, hope that fixes the issue for you!

Smile It worked perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by ngardiner View Post
    No problem at all, hope that fixes the issue for you!
    Well, the day arrived and I couldn't send mail today so I changed the SMTP port to 1025 and it worked! Yeah! Well, I'm saying this after many hours trying to "fix" my Outlook express prior to posting here. Hence, my enthusiasm.