How would you explain EIG (Endurance International Group)

How would you explain EIG (Endurance International Group) to a complete newbie?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduran...national_Group

For "fun" I often help people import their forum communities from one forum software development to another. Usually for free or a small gift (having someone order me pizza for example), so I can not say I do this as a business.

I usually do it just to help out the little guy, because when I was the little guy, I remember help being hard to find and often when found, it was costly. And I always thought that was sort of unfair because I wasn't a business, my site was a hobby, and usually what I needed was just some simple advise or guidance.

Any ways.... Obviously, when doing what I do, I come across a lot of hosting environments. Different plans, different setup, and a wide range of different resources.

I've noticed though that there is a growing amount of shared, shared plus, and resell accounts who end up using a web hosting service provider owned and operated by EIG. And I also know a lot of you here on WebHostingTalk.com have your experience with EIG (and opinions with good reason).

And usually these people are a little confused and frustrated that an import, which can be resource intensive, is not easily completed on such hosting accounts. Often I find it not possible at all. It's a lot easier to just download it onto a fresh copy of Debian, do the import locally, then just upload it back to their host.

But of course the person I'm trying to help will point out that they have X plan with Y resource. And I try to tell them that not all web host are equal and what they advertise is not always what they're getting.

So I guess I'm wondering how would you explain this to a complete newbie? And why it maybe also a good idea to find a better host?!
    Last edited by TheVisitors; 11-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev

This 3 part news article may actually answer some of how to best explain EIG

http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials...es-eig-pt1.htm

But I'd still love to hear from some hosting providers, on how you would explain that not all providers are equal....

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev

Nice article, but I see there are lot of web hosts outside the EIG periphery whom u did not cover. Probably uR coverage was USA specific ...is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by pplsurf View Post
    Nice article, but I see there are lot of web hosts outside the EIG periphery whom u did not cover. Probably uR coverage was USA specific ...is it ?
    I used EIG because every provider on that list has proven "problematic".

I'm sure there are other large companies who are "eating up" providers (making 1 super provider) and as a result are also "downgrading" the level of service provided, but I am unaware of any other companies at this time.

You're welcome to name a few if you know of any.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev

It's not been 100% confirmed yet that I'm aware. But it's likely. The problem with EIG is they hide everything. You have to follow the money. I prefer confirmation first.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by pplsurf View Post
    Zymic.com, 110mb.com, BestHostFree.com, MediaTemple.net, CrocWeb.com ...to name a few. All these are outside EIG territory. And another thing I guess is missing in your article. EIG has acquired Directi. Please check this thread. So BigRock.com and all hosting under ResellerClub is now part of EIG.
    Your list is not a list of providers that are mass buying out other providers, while at the same time downgrading the level of service provided to their customers.

CrocWeb.com for example is highly respected by not only their customers, but is recommended by other providers. You need only do a search here on WebHostingTalk.com to prove that. And again to my knowledge, they're not mass buying other companies out to form a "super size provider" in secret.

So I fail to see the value or understand why you listed those sites.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev