UK Host with multiple servers - diff A Class IPs

Hi guys,

I was hoping you could point me in the direction of a UK hosting company that offers:

- UK Servers
    - A range of IPs with different A Class (I realise I will have to take out a number of separate accounts)
    - reasonably priced

Thanks or your help!

Do you require the host to be UK registered or simply have UK servers?
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | R1Soft CDP | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Lansing, Orlando, Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, London, New Delhi and Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by HostWithLove_Cody View Post
    Do you require the host to be UK registered or simply have UK servers?
    Just UK Servers - at least three of them to make it worthwhile though...

Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address - especially where class based addressing was replaced by CIDR in 1993.

Let me break it down for you - quoting another website that explains a concept that was replaced 20 years ago, still does not make it right.

/ reported
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

You're right, it does ... in 1992. That's nothing but historical information.

Everything is CIDR now.

The idea that IPs affect SEO are so 1990s. It doesn't.

This is 2013.
    Last edited by Postbox; 11-24-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

OK, so from an SEO perspective, if one wanted to build out a site network, would they not want the first set of numbers in the IPs to be different for each site?

I am confused, then again as RRWH pointed out, hosting really isn't my forte (hence why I'm here asking noob questions).

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You're right, it does ... in 1992. That's nothing but historical information.

Everything is CIDR now.

The idea that IPs affect SEO are so 1990s. It doesn't.

This is 2013.

It is time this myth died -

IT HAS NEVER BEEN POSSIBLE TO HOST A WEBSITE ON A DIFFERENT CLASS ( A B OR C ) ADDRESS.

CIDR replaced Class-based routing in the beginning of 1993. The Web browser was created towards the end of 1993.

OP, so please explain to EVERYONE exactly how you could ever do what you wanted to do?
    Last edited by Postbox; 11-24-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes

Quote Originally Posted by marcoose81 View Post
    OK, so from an SEO perspective, if one wanted to build out a site network, would they not want the first set of numbers in the IPs to be different for each site?

From an SEO perspective, if you are intent on building a network, you are a Search Engine Spammer.

Thanks for sharing your friendly community with me and good luck to all!

@marcoose81 - I think that, for the way things run today, to get 3 websites onto 3 totally separate networks, you'll not only need 3 accounts, you'll need 3 accounts with different hosts.

Let me explain.

These days, hosts / data centres / ISPs are allocated blocks of IP addresses. These blocks don't always match onto the old class-based description system. Someone who only needs 16 addresses (13 usable ones) would be assigned a /28 block - say from 12.13.14.0 to 12.13.14.15. Someone else, a larger provider, might need 4096 IPs - which would be a /20 - say from 12.13.14.0 to 12.13.15.127.

If you wanted your sites hosted on genuinely different networks (although, I'd join with others in asking why you need this, because it may not have the benefits you're after), you'd need to have the sites in different of these blocks.

If the blocks were always the same size as the old C-class etc. system, then every provider's network would either be a /24, a /16 or a /8. But that isn't the case. So you could be on a different (what used to be called) "B-Class" (now called a /16) and still be on the same network. Cogent, for instance, own the whole of 38.0.0.0/8. Even being on a different (so-called) A-Class is no guarantee.

So what you actually need is not addresses that would be have been referred to as different x-Class, but IPs on different networks - IPs allocated to different providers.

Which is why I say you really need to look at different accounts with different providers. Even then, there's no guarantee - providers often lease their allocations from their colocation providers. But the converse is guaranteed - as long as the same provider is giving you the different services, you are unlikely to get the degree of separation you're looking for.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

+1 Thanks so much for the information. You really explained things well there.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    @marcoose81 - I think that, for the way things run today, to get 3 websites onto 3 totally separate networks, you'll not only need 3 accounts, you'll need 3 accounts with different hosts.

Let me explain.

These days, hosts / data centres / ISPs are allocated blocks of IP addresses. These blocks don't always match onto the old class-based description system. Someone who only needs 16 addresses (13 usable ones) would be assigned a /28 block - say from 12.13.14.0 to 12.13.14.15. Someone else, a larger provider, might need 4096 IPs - which would be a /20 - say from 12.13.14.0 to 12.13.15.127.

If you wanted your sites hosted on genuinely different networks (although, I'd join with others in asking why you need this, because it may not have the benefits you're after), you'd need to have the sites in different of these blocks.

If the blocks were always the same size as the old C-class etc. system, then every provider's network would either be a /24, a /16 or a /8. But that isn't the case. So you could be on a different (what used to be called) "B-Class" (now called a /16) and still be on the same network. Cogent, for instance, own the whole of 38.0.0.0/8. Even being on a different (so-called) A-Class is no guarantee.

So what you actually need is not addresses that would be have been referred to as different x-Class, but IPs on different networks - IPs allocated to different providers.

Which is why I say you really need to look at different accounts with different providers. Even then, there's no guarantee - providers often lease their allocations from their colocation providers. But the converse is guaranteed - as long as the same provider is giving you the different services, you are unlikely to get the degree of separation you're looking for.

RRWH is a good guy, but he's cranky today.

But I understand why ... this is a myth. And over the years, it's become tiresome. SEO has nothing to do with the internet protocol (IP). Anyone who claims otherwise simply does not understand how the internet works in 2013.

If you want to build a network, it has nothing to do with the IP. The idea behind it is that you hide who you are. But IP is one of the weakest ways to detect that. Google/etc will see you faster and easier with other tracing methods, so this is for nothing.

If you're stubborn, and insist on this, use separate hosts. But you're just pissing away money.

I am confused, then again as RRWH pointed out, hosting really isn't my forte (hence why I'm here asking noob questions).
    You're confused because you're new. And that's okay. But when given knowledge, don't resist it, and cling to myth.

Even if coarse today, RRWH is correct.

Whatever other blogs or forums you saw (or the shady marketing of an "SEO hosting" company), is complete BS and you should not read whoever/whatever that was anymore. If they're wrong here, they're probably wrong about other stuff.

Just get a good host.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||