Hostgator vs. Mediatemple

Hello,

Currently I am using Hostgator.com to host my website and thinking to switch to Grid Service of Mediatemple.net for fast hosting.

I have never used Mediatemple and it would be great if you can provide us your review.

My website stats (per month):
    Pageviews: Around 100,000
    Monthly Bandwidth: 9GB
    Pages/Visit: 3.5-4

Most of my traffic is from US and I don't want to decrease the loading speed for the US customers.

I am also planning use MaxCDN start plan which costs me around 9 USD per month.

Please provide your suggestion(s). Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thank You
    Vaibhav

Quote Originally Posted by vibhu000 View Post
    Hello,

Currently I am using Hostgator.com to host my website and thinking to switch to Grid Service of Mediatemple.net for fast hosting.

I have never used Mediatemple and it would be great if you can provide us your review.

My website stats (per month):
    Pageviews: Around 100,000
    Monthly Bandwidth: 9GB
    Pages/Visit: 3.5-4

Most of my traffic is from US and I don't want to decrease the loading speed for the US customers.

I am also planning use MaxCDN start plan which costs me around 9 USD per month.

Please provide your suggestion(s). Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thank You
    Vaibhav
    Are you prepared to drop cPanel and move to a completely different control panel? MediaTemple doesn't utilize cPanel on their Grid service. That would be a major feature I would look into when looking to switch over to them. But other than that, I think they're a great host

If you're looking to stay with a cPanel host I would look into StableHost, MDDHosting or HawkHost as they're all great providers.
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ Running your web hosting business has never been easier - Hostistic.com
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ More Details coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by vibhu000 View Post
    Vaibhav
    is your hostgator hosting slow now?
    You can try few WordPress optimization method like using some cache plugin, light wordpress theme and using CloudFlare free plan.
    These may help you.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Day by day both are becoming hell now, because
    Hostgator acquire by ->EIG
    MediaTemple acquire by -> Godaddy

My personal suggestion is Try SSD VPS from Digitalocean or other providers http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104
    BD Web Services Since 2009
    cPanel and Plesk | CloudLinux | Node.JS | SSD Server | Daily Remote Backup | North America and Europe | Money Back Guarantee
    USA | Canada | Germany

WP Super Cache if you are using WP on HostGator

Hostgator is now EIG brand, and MediaTemple is now GoDaddy brand. But both operate on different platforms and market to different niches so that should help you decide.

Wordpress getting a lot spam these days would recommend your to install antispam plugins (recommended one only) Some plugins have issue to hack your account and spam or spread virus over internet leading to ban of your iP. Try removing useless plugins as well. if your traffic is real move to a VPS better then a sharing hosting.
    ⓐ➒AlphaNine
    Shared hosting | cPanel/WHM reseller | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | SSL | VoIP | Management |
    99.9% uptime | 24/7 Support | Easy Control Panels | Operating Since 2000 |

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaek View Post
    Mediatemple is way overpriced. For $20 you can get a pretty good VPS from Linode or even a dedicated server from other companies.

Plus since you are using MaxCDN your server will have even less load so you can invest even less money to your hosting.
    Bad advice. Then you have to manage it, purchase additional software etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini_AlphaNine View Post
    Wordpress getting a lot spam these days would recommend your to install antispam plugins (recommended one only) Some plugins have issue to hack your account and spam or spread virus over internet leading to ban of your iP. Try removing useless plugins as well. if your traffic is real move to a VPS better then a sharing hosting.
    what does this have to do with anything?

I don't think a control panel should be a factor from cPanel to MT's panel - Used both, both stable, as long as I was able to add FTP accounts, databases or emails I don't need hundreds of features.

If you get a decent amount of traffic and are going to invest in a CDN - I would suggest a VPS if you have the knowledge to setup. Would be better in the long run for your Wordpress.

Currently run Wordpress on NGINX and it runs like a dream. (On a VPS)

No contest.

Hostgator is a budget host, just another EIG brands. It's junk.

MediaTemple is a premium hosting company. It's not "overpriced" at all, but simply not a cheapy budget host that's cut corners.

(Though Godaddy owns it, I see no changes happening there. Godaddy isn't EIG. Based on things I've read in various business reports for the past year, Godaddy acknowledges it was a consumer budget brand with crappy marketing. Addionally, it had also wanted a business/pro premium division. And it would likely NOT carry the now-tarnished Godaddy name. At worst, I see some more companies being bought out, and a new one being formed. Maybe MediaTemple would be its name, maybe not. It's unclear whether they want to achieve this via growth or via acquisition.)
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

differences between two

Mediatemple is way overpriced. For $20 you can get a pretty good VPS from Linode or even a dedicated server from other companies.

Plus since you are using MaxCDN your server will have even less load so you can invest even less money to your hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Satish_Varma View Post
    Mediatemple is way overpriced. For $20 you can get a pretty good VPS from Linode or even a dedicated server from other companies. Plus since you are using MaxCDN your server will have even less load so you can invest even less money to your hosting.
    That a VPS cost only 10-20 is such a myth. There's lots of hidden costs, as well as lots of admin time -- if you're doing it right, at least. Huge learning curve with VPS, unless you plan to hire a management company for $30+ monthly.

MT is managed, includes backups, is on premium network/hardware, etc. That all cost $$$.

With Linode, you get a blank machine and a hearty "good luck". If that's what you want, and understand what's NOT included on a VPS, then great. Get it. But most newbies have no idea what they're getting into.

A CDN doesn't do crap for dynamic content (PHP, ASP), email, DNS, etc.

This "get a VPS!" BS is just as annoying as "SEO hosting", etc.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Host gator is alright but they are actrully going downhill day by day rapidly

As for MT I've never used them but seen above something how they do not use cPanel this is something you may want to consider as cPanel makes everyone's life much much more easier.

If you decide not to go with them you can consider looking at stable host and there MDDHosting both are very reliable and affordable cPanel providers.

Don't jump onto a VPS you'll need to have it be managed by a it or a server admin which will cost additional fees. You do always have the option going with a managed VPS provider and if they are good then they will take care if you.

As everyone is saying. I would do my research first and stay away from HostGator. Their reputation is slowly going down hill

I'd pick MediaTemple over HostGator.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Always appreciate the fairness webhostingtalk brings to the table from its users. Big thanks to @kpmedia, who calls us out when we're wrong and sticks up for us when need be.

@vibhu

Per your specs, we can definitely accommodate you. At this moment, you can get our VPS and shared plans for a much lower price. If you wanted to come in and try things out, we'd be more than happy to have you. Feel free to send me a ping, or just contact our team via twitter, livechat, or phone.
    Media Temple Customer Support
    Webhosting @ http://mediatemple.net

I have about 40 Wordpress sites in Hostdime and my experience has been great so far. I have used many hosts in a 13-year period, so this recommendation is coming from someone who has heard a lot of promises, which proved nothing but marketing lies at the end...

Yannis

Knowing who owns these, id probably vote for MediaTemple nowadays.

None of them is good,Mediatemple is owned by goddady and Hostgator by EIG

@Tip Top123: Check Kpmedia's post. Mediatemple is not that bad.

The old Hostgator everyone praises used Network Layer's premium data centers. The new EIG Hostgator uses Unified Layer, a crappy in-house data center from EIG. So by all means subscribe to Hostagtor If you want your site to load in 10 seconds and all your visitors to run away before the site has even finished loading. :/