* Please help - Basic Setup - VPS

Hi,

I'm recently purchased vps. i have small confusion in setting nameserver.

My ip is : 173.233.93.xxx ( 1 dedicated ip only)

1) i registered my nameserver like vps1.xxx.com - 173.233.93.xxx.
    what about the second nameserver ip! vps2.xxx.com - ???

should i buy another dedicated ip? or is there any solution?

please help me.
    30+ VPS Premium / Business Domain Names Available | Latest Bitcoin News |

Register / Transfer / Renew .in names just for ₹390 @ http://EverSmile.in

One option is a secondary DNS setup, for example http://freedns.afraid.org/, that'd allow them to host your records (per domain), which simply match your VPS zones - you could then register a nameserver (vps2.xxx.com for example) to point to their IP.

The downside is with afraid.org it's per domain, so if you manage a lot it can become difficult (and it's limited), but there's paid options also that give you more features.

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    One option is a secondary DNS setup, for example http://freedns.afraid.org/, that'd allow them to host your records (per domain), which simply match your VPS zones - you could then register a nameserver (vps2.xxx.com for example) to point to their IP.

The downside is with afraid.org it's per domain, so if you manage a lot it can become difficult (and it's limited), but there's paid options also that give you more features.
    Thank you your immediate reply. i will try them now.
    30+ VPS Premium / Business Domain Names Available | Latest Bitcoin News |

Register / Transfer / Renew .in names just for ₹390 @ http://EverSmile.in

You can setup a second nameserver using PowerDNS, get some cheap $15/year VPS and youŽll be good to go :-)
    Evixo | VMware & KVM VPS solutions | Germany and the Netherlands | Daily backups
    █ Private networking available | High availability options
    https://evixo.com | 7-day money back guarantee, no questions asked.

You don't need to add a second name server. I have been doing that for a year or so now! You just have to add the same IP into the ns2 registration.

1) Most VPS company provide their own cloud DNS, like:
    ns1.vpscompany.com
    ns2.vps.company.com

Contact your VPS provider company, and ask them if they have something similar to offer.

You can even use your own private namserver address over your VPS provider cloud nameserver address.

2) Instead of depending on other provider for secondary nameserver, better purchase another IP and set second nameserver on this IP.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Quote Originally Posted by hostbukkitcom View Post
    You don't need to add a second name server. I have been doing that for a year or so now! You just have to add the same IP into the ns2 registration.
    Thank you everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by hostbukkitcom View Post
    Yep, that's true. As long as you don't want to host certain ccTLDs that will demand something better. And if none of the domains hosted are relying on an external mailserver. And provided you don't care that your visitors (and all your clients' visitors) will get occasional lookup failures that can extend for hours. In that case, yes, this cheap solution is all you need...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

If both nameservers are on the same machine then it makes a lick of difference when the server is down. Just go with one ip and you'll be fine for the majority of all needs.

Using your registrars DNS isn't a bad idea either.

1 ip can be used for both nameservers and it will not create any issues.

Warm Regards
    Ceko

Quote Originally Posted by FlipperHost View Post
    1 ip can be used for both nameservers and it will not create any issues.
    When did you last read RFC 2182 (especially section 3)?

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    When did you last read RFC 2182 (especially section 3)?
    That at its best is outdated. Though never mind still 1 IP is enough for both ns1 and ns2 specially at a vps or if you are reselling off of a shared server (meaning if you are a customer of a provider who has tens of resellers within same dedicated server).

The article maybe useful for dedicated server dns setup though 1 IP is clearly enough for most other setups. If the dedicated server which serves the vps goes down or is under heavy ddoss no number of ips can significantly improve the chances of the vps staying online and being stable (Let it be 2 ips or 100 ips).

The information I gave is correct and practical. 1 IP will serve the purpose in most cases (except for some must stay online business dedicated servers).

More over, who ever says 1 IP will not serve the purpose I have at least 12.000 working examples at hand which proves that false as far as I consider.

Warm regards
    Ceko

Quote Originally Posted by FlipperHost View Post
    The information I gave is correct and practical.
    OUCH! Sorry, but it's not.

People spend years (and money) getting the neatest web site online, look for decent hosting that won't let them down, and do all sorts of SEO and marketing to make sure they get hits.

And yet they miss the most fundamental requirement - being able to be "looked up".

If that IP those 12,000 sites of yours goes down (be it on shared hosting, a VPS or dedi) how is anyone ever gonna find you? And what's going to happen to the "Your site is down" emails people send you?

I'm no way picking you out in particular, but it really scratches a nerve with me when people go to so much trouble over their sites and then forget the fundamentals of making sure that they can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    OUCH! Sorry, but it's not.

People spend years (and money) getting the neatest web site online, look for decent hosting that won't let them down, and do all sorts of SEO and marketing to make sure they get hits.

And yet they miss the most fundamental requirement - being able to be "looked up".

If that IP those 12,000 sites of yours goes down (be it on shared hosting, a VPS or dedi) how is anyone ever gonna find you? And what's going to happen to the "Your site is down" emails people send you?

I'm no way picking you out in particular, but it really scratches a nerve with me when people go to so much trouble over their sites and then forget the fundamentals of making sure that they can be found.
    I understand your point. Although I can accept you may have a point at that about SEO and for some extremely rare cases where only 1 ip would become useless and the data would have to rely on the second or third ip.

On the other hand though The thread is not really about how good it is to have multiple ips for SEO and marketing. Rather it is if 1 IP would be sufficient and would second ip do any difference. In some cases as I and you on different occasions within this thread presented maybe useful. Though still I assure you 1 ip would do the job in most cases (Assuming the job is for the website to serve online) and to not have second ip will not have a great impact. Would it be better to have 2 ips? Yes it would be. But to have 4 ips would be even better.

Still though any of the 12.000 websites I mention that are using 1 ip each and even some maybe 2% of them are all on 2 ips only (same 2 ips for 100+ websites). I am claiming that even if any of the above mentioned websites had 2 or more ips it would have no effect at all to minimal effect on if the site is online or not in a state where there is an heavy ddoss or hardware failure. Anyone claims having 2 ips have got them survive a ddoss or survived a hardware failure is simply not possible.

Warm regards
    Ceko

I think it's important to separate the two questions that have arisen here:
    1. Does it help to have 2 IPs on the same server? No. That's equivalent to having "both" nameservers on the same IP.
    2. Does it help to have 2 or more separate nameservers? Yes. Perhaps if you're shooting for 2 to 3 nines uptime you won't see the difference but for anyone who cares enough to try for something better and measures uptime properly (externally, including domain resolution), it's important.

It's true that the simple all-on-one-machine system will work most of the time but adding a separate slave nameserver (or using an external DNS provider) doesn't add much complexity or cost and does provide some really important benefits.

The first is email: if anyone hosted wants to use external email it's a no-brainer - they don't want their email going down whenever the main server does.

And then there's the way that many ISP resolvers respond to a domain for which all nameservers are unresponsive - they stop trying to resolve it and effectively cache the failed lookup. So a brief reboot or network glitch can turn into hours of failed domain resolution for some subset of visitors. It does work for others though so the host has a perfect excuse to say: "It's not our fault - it's your ISP. Use Google DNS instead" but in reality it is the host's fault for offering unreliable DNS.

All-on-one machine is a cheap, simple solution that mostly works, but is it the best solution for the OP? Personally I'd encourage anyone to go for something better.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    I think it's important to separate the two questions that have arisen here:
    1. Does it help to have 2 IPs on the same server? No. That's equivalent to having "both" nameservers on the same IP.
    2. Does it help to have 2 or more separate nameservers? Yes. Perhaps if you're shooting for 2 to 3 nines uptime you won't see the difference but for anyone who cares enough to try for something better and measures uptime properly (externally, including domain resolution), it's important.

It's true that the simple all-on-one-machine system will work most of the time but adding a separate slave nameserver (or using an external DNS provider) doesn't add much complexity or cost and does provide some really important benefits.

The first is email: if anyone hosted wants to use external email it's a no-brainer - they don't want their email going down whenever the main server does.

And then there's the way that many ISP resolvers respond to a domain for which all nameservers are unresponsive - they stop trying to resolve it and effectively cache the failed lookup. So a brief reboot or network glitch can turn into hours of failed domain resolution for some subset of visitors. It does work for others though so the host has a perfect excuse to say: "It's not our fault - it's your ISP. Use Google DNS instead" but in reality it is the host's fault for offering unreliable DNS.

All-on-one machine is a cheap, simple solution that mostly works, but is it the best solution for the OP? Personally I'd encourage anyone to go for something better.
    Agreed with everything here. Thanks for making it distinctive.
    open a firm in Turkey
    We assist you in Turkey