Is name.com a good registrar?

I am going to move my approx 50 domains from 1and1 to another registrar. 1and1 jumped the .com and .net pricing up from approx 10 to approx 14. They are very slow with support and so forth.

I have checked a few alternates out and so far name.com looks pretty good. Pricing is around 10, free private reg if over x domains, and communication has been fairly quick, and well informed. I'd transfer one account and see how that goes.

I did a search here and found zero responses for name.com???

If anyone has an alternate I'd like to hear about it. namecheap.com? It is important to me that the pricing be around $10, and private reg is free. About 10 of the domains have actual websites, the rest are parked with sedo or simply not in use.

OpenSRS have announced a fee change as well and phasing out their FREE WHOIS privacy service for a fee. So many have increased.

We have used name.com for about a hand full of domain names and have not had any issues. Have not used their privacy service. OpenSRS is close to the $10 mark you aim for.
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Domains, Hosting, Business Solutions, and Connectivity

I've been using name.com since around 2008. Never a single problem.

I use name.com for some of my domain registration so far have no trouble with them they are good.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

Like others have said, Name.com is an awesome company...

Thanks everyone for your input.

One thing that surprises me about the transfer process (haven't done it for years) is that apparently I have to turn off domain privacy at the domain at 1and1 prior to the transfer? Doesn't that sort of defeat the privacy thing? Aren't those change records stored and available on public websites if you know where to look?

My very first domain was from Name.com (4+ years ago) and never had an issue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by anvil View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input.

One thing that surprises me about the transfer process (haven't done it for years) is that apparently I have to turn off domain privacy at the domain at 1and1 prior to the transfer? Doesn't that sort of defeat the privacy thing? Aren't those change records stored and available on public websites if you know where to look?
    Yes, you will get email to confirm domain transfer, that's why privacy protection should be turned off. As to second question, yes, it gets archived at places such as who.is (ran by name.com, and they want money to remove it. see attachment)
    Go with namecheap or get reseller account, you will get much better prices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whois.jpg  

name.com is a popular, reputed and reliable registrar.
    If you have 50 domains to move, why not take a domain reseller account at Resell.biz / resellerclub.com

You will save lots of money and will also have better control on domains.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Thanks ravi and ecohost. I'd not considered a reseller account, and don't know anything about them. I have over 40 domains but not 50. I'll check out the two you mentioned (Resell.biz / resellerclub.com).

It's kind of confusing.

Resell.biz shows 9.16 for .com, and there is no indication of other conditions like minimum number of domains or an annual membership fee. I am not sure private registration fees, I don't see information there about it.

Resellerclub.com shows 9.99 for .com, a $25 membership fee, and nothing I can find about minimum number of domains. But on the 'comparison' page, they say no annual fee, and .com 8.89. Private reg is free. The information is inconsistent, at least it appears to be so for a novice 'interpreter'.
    Last edited by outlands; 11-23-2013 at 02:53 PM.

It's kind of confusing.

Resell.biz shows 9.16 for .com, and there is no indication of other conditions like minimum number of domains or an annual membership fee. I am not sure private registration fees, I don't see information there about it.

Resellerclub.com shows 9.99 for .com, a $25 membership fee, and nothing I can find about minimum number of domains. But on the 'comparison' page, they say no annual fee, and .com 8.89. Private reg is free. The information is inconsistent, at least it appears to be so for a novice 'interpreter'.
    Resell.biz
    1) There is NO membership fee.
    2) There is NO minimum domain requirement. You can keep as low as 1 domain.
    3) Domain price will decrease once you have crossed transaction of $500.

Resellerclub
    1) There is NO membership fee.
    2) There is NO minimum domain requirement. You can keep as low as 1 domain.
    3) Domain price will decrease when you move to higher slab.
    4) You need to deposit $25 to activate your account. You can use this $25 to register / renew / transfer domains.

Thanks Ravi that review is very helpful. I see now that the comparison page for resellerclub quotes the lowest .com price, which I'd never get with so few domains (40-50).

I wonder how the reseller places compare with say name.com in terms of 'hand holding'? I will never be an expert with this stuff...just want it to be as efficient and inexpensive as possible. My recent experiment with name.com is good in terms of the completeness of communication, but it's slower than I'd wish, half day or more between my asking a question and getting a reply. But possibly the reseller places would be less interested in communicating with a neophyte than name.com. I wonder how fast the support is for the reseller places also.

I see now that the comparison page for resellerclub quotes the lowest .com price, which I'd never get with so few domains (40-50).
    You can easily move to second level at resell.biz where .com price is ~$8.5

I wonder how the reseller places compare with say name.com in terms of 'hand holding'? I will never be an expert with this stuff...just want it to be as efficient and inexpensive as possible. My recent experiment with name.com is good in terms of the completeness of communication, but it's slower than I'd wish, half day or more between my asking a question and getting a reply. But possibly the reseller places would be less interested in communicating with a neophyte than name.com. I wonder how fast the support is for the reseller places also.
    ResellerClub support -> Good
    Resell.biz support -> Average

Managing a reseller account at these is almost instant and easy. You will hardly need any support from registrar. Everything is very easy. You just need to understand the basic things.

infact name.com provide very good pricing for domain itself

they are reliable and cost efficient.I had no problem with them so far

I have used name.com and not a single problema. Good support.

I think all domain registrars are reliable as they all are accredited by ICANN. But some of them have few features which can attract more clients. I personally prefer Internetbs as they have low prices, quick live support and free whois.
    By the way, I have not used name.com

name.com has held about 50 of my domains for the last four years. They are responsive to email and actually have phone support. I wish they also supported .aero domains but other than that, they've been perfect. I would recommend them.

name.com
    namecheap.com
    godaddy.com

all good registrars... and I use all 3 for multiple domains.

The thing I like to do... is register at godaddy with a 30% of domain registration, then a couple of months later... transfer them over to namecheap or name at a transfer discount... ultimately driving down the cost at another high percentage discount, therefore lowering the price dramatically over a 2 year period.
    Mike

They've been good to me
    WebHosting should be easy, it should just work.
    Durb.co Web Hosting

Yea, Name.com is a good domain registrar. I have a couple of domains with them.

So far Name.com has not given me any problem. However, support sometimes takes a little longer to reply.