Need replacement for X10Hosting

So my website has like 10 pictures, a description, embedded link to 6 videos on YouTube and that's about it, so I will be using very little in the way of resources. I just use it to put up some electronic/computer hobby stuff that I am working on. I was on x10hostings free service and it worked good enough for me; didn't care about the downtime or slowness often, lack of support, etc. But then I made the mistake of signing up for their paid service a week ago and neither my web site or RVSiteBuilder has worked since, and absolutely no response after submitting multiple support tickets or forum posts, so I just issued a claim with my credit card company to get my money back.

So, what is a cheap provider that at least works some of the time? Would StableHost with their 50% off for life be good enough for my requirements, or am I just going to wind up with another X10hosting nightmare? Besides my basic web site, I just want to learn a little about web technologies and such, so I just need all the basics. I have been a UNIX/Linux administrator for many years so I prefer a Linux based system, and I am located in the US so I guess a US hosting company, and although not mandatory, RVSiteBuilder so I don't have to learn something new.

Your needs are pretty basic so most hosts should be able to cater for you, just double check they do have RVSitebuilder.

Although WHT allow unlimited offers I still will advise you to ignore these, Do you have any other requirements? what about diskspace?

Check the Web Hosting offers section for some great offers, send them sales ticket and check out the response you get.

Let us know how you get on

Stablehost is a good provider so you should try them. You can ask them also if they offer money back guarantee if something went wrong.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by TekHive View Post
    Your needs are pretty basic so most hosts should be able to cater for you, just double check they do have RVSitebuilder.

Although WHT allow unlimited offers I still will advise you to ignore these, Do you have any other requirements? what about diskspace?

Check the Web Hosting offers section for some great offers, send them sales ticket and check out the response you get.

Let us know how you get on
    Having absolutely no web or HTML experience, RVSiteBuilder took me like a day or two to build my web site, so picking up something else is not a problem, especially if there are better tools out there. Eventually I will learn HTML if I get some time.

As far as disk space, cpanel doesn't list a measure of units, but my current disk space usage is listed as 145.79, monthly bandwidth is 13.07, and I have one MySQL database using .21 MB of space. So nothing much more than that for the near future with a little growth room. I have two email accounts and one ftp account.

What does WHT stand for by the way?

WHT stands for WebHostingTalk and I recommend FreshRostedHosting and CrocWeb. Good luck.

You do not have a site that demands much in the way of resources and if you do your home work you should be able to find a reputable host. Choose a host that uses RvSiteBuilder. As long as the new host uses RvSiteBuilder (I would try to make sure they are using the same version) you should be fine. You should be able to transfer your cPanel account to the new host and once you log into RvSiteBiuilder it should give you the option to restore your project and you should be off and running again.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated
    24/7 Support Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM

Lightbulb Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by pjc321 View Post
    So my website has like 10 pictures, a description, embedded link to 6 videos on YouTube and that's about it, so I will be using very little in the way of resources. I just use it to put up some electronic/computer hobby stuff that I am working on. I was on x10hostings free service and it worked good enough for me; didn't care about the downtime or slowness often, lack of support, etc. But then I made the mistake of signing up for their paid service a week ago and neither my web site or RVSiteBuilder has worked since, and absolutely no response after submitting multiple support tickets or forum posts, so I just issued a claim with my credit card company to get my money back.

So, what is a cheap provider that at least works some of the time? Would StableHost with their 50% off for life be good enough for my requirements, or am I just going to wind up with another X10hosting nightmare? Besides my basic web site, I just want to learn a little about web technologies and such, so I just need all the basics. I have been a UNIX/Linux administrator for many years so I prefer a Linux based system, and I am located in the US so I guess a US hosting company, and although not mandatory, RVSiteBuilder so I don't have to learn something new.
    Well, I would suggest instead of having another such bad experience. You first go for a yearly plan or something instead of lifetime. Discounts well there throughout ranging from 10%-90% based on different companies. No offense to anybody or hosting provider but rather than considering lucrative offers first take service and support into consideration. Good Luck
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

The offer they were referring to (with StableHost) was not a pay-once-for-your-whole-life offer, but 50% off for the lifetime of the plan

To the OP: I've never used StableHost, but if you search around here you'll find many positive reviews.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Quote Originally Posted by WebzPro View Post
    You do not have a site that demands much in the way of resources and if you do your home work you should be able to find a reputable host. Choose a host that uses RvSiteBuilder. As long as the new host uses RvSiteBuilder (I would try to make sure they are using the same version) you should be fine. You should be able to transfer your cPanel account to the new host and once you log into RvSiteBiuilder it should give you the option to restore your project and you should be off and running again.
    Thanks, I already started looking into that yesterday. Luckily I made a current RVSitebuilder backup before they transferred me to the paid account where RVSitebuilder no longer starts up (Internal Server Error 500). I don't know the version because it will not start. I believe I also need to make cpanel backups, so I will see if that is not broken as well, and do backups today.
    Last edited by pjc123; 11-23-2013 at 08:05 AM.

I extracted the RVSiteBuilder backup tar file and I see it is license=pro and version=5.0.40.

I has been using bitcloud.se, a swedish host, hosting from 18.09 USD / year.

Quote Originally Posted by pjc321 View Post
    Thanks, I already started looking into that yesterday. Luckily I made a current RVSitebuilder backup before they transferred me to the paid account where RVSitebuilder no longer starts up (Internal Server Error 500). I don't know the version because it will not start. I believe I also need to make cpanel backups, so I will see if that is not broken as well, and do backups today.
    You can restore an RvSiteBuilder web site by restoring the project but it is easier when transfer or having a full cPanel back up.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated
    24/7 Support Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM

Several decent hosts have been mentioned here, and Stablehost is an excellent one.
    But I'm not sure who has RVSiteBuilder. Not something I use.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by WebzPro View Post
    You can restore an RvSiteBuilder web site by restoring the project but it is easier when transfer or having a full cPanel back up.
    OK. The only thing that may throw a wrench in it is that the RVSiteBuilder backup is from the older free server. I did not know about cpanel backups at the time. The cpanel backup I just did today is from the new paid server (Where my web sub-pages do not load and RVSitebuilder does not work at all). I don't know if it makes a difference, but the paid server also has a cpanel with a lot more features (not sure if there is a version difference as well). I guess I can only try and see how each method works, or talk with tech support. In any event I would make a cpanel backup on the new hosting company before I start testing things in the event I have to revert. This will be great if I don't have to redo my website again.

It looks like stablehost will be fine from all the opinions here and elsewhere for what I need. If the Black Friday deal holds true, then $2 a month would be great. Thanks for all the help from everyone as I am new to all of this.

So I switched to Stablehost and thought I would report back. I couldn't be happier. Unlike my previous experience with a web hosting company, Stablehost immediately replied to my support tickets and resolved my issues, there are not server errors all the time, and everything in the cpanel actually works (most importantly RVSiteBuilder and CloudFlare). The speed of my web pages are incredible and downtime is a non-issue any more. All this and at a reasonable rate to boot. Thanks for the recommendations and to the WHT forums.

There are many reliable hosts here on WHT who can provide excellent services for your web hosting needs. Check the hosting offers forum out there have been a lot of great promotions going on lately.

That is crazy how you upgrade from their free to paid service and then you start facing problems with them it's sad..

Overall don't get me wrong x10 is a great provider and they use to have good decent hosting services when I was with them.

Keep us informed with who you choose to host with and best of luck finding the right provider. Be sure to research up on the company before purchasing virtual items from them. It is easy to find reviews of a company if they are well known in the good or bad way. And sometimes you find those providers who have no reviews and it's just a potential risk.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    Keep us informed with who you choose to host with and best of luck finding the right provider.
    Apparently you only read my OP. As I indicated, I switched to StableHost. I just finished tweaking my website today. 89 cents more a month ($1.89 total per month with coupon) and I have a website again. Yay!
    Last edited by pjc123; 12-07-2013 at 12:28 PM.