Emails blacklisted

Over the weekend we moved one of my clients' websites off of Hostgator. The move went fairly smooth but the one nagging problem we have is that any emails from her website to the AT&T network are being kicked back with the following message:

SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:< > SIZE=1923:
    521-xx.xx.xx.xx blocked by xxx
    521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse.
    The hosting company has been working for nearly a week to resolve the problem but isn't getting anywhere with AT&T. They have tried changing servers, changing IP addresses, and getting a new block of IPs and switching to that. The emails keep bouncing back. AT&T supposedly won't tell them what the problem is. I've used mxtoolbox to check if any of the domain names or ip addresses are blacklisted and they all come up clean. I've read through a lot of posts on similar topics but thought I'd take a shot at getting suggestions here.

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried using IMAP instead?

It's AT&T..

Our IP's are not listed on any blacklist but for some reason AT&T was blocking us. We checked our IP's against both RBL's they said to check before requesting to be removed from their blacklist and we were not listed on either of them but they were blocking us anyway.

So I think they are blocking for no reason.

I requested for them to unblock our IP's and they did within 48 hours and it seems to have fixed the issue for now.

Quote Originally Posted by CN-Jeremy View Post
    It's AT&T..

Our IP's are not listed on any blacklist but for some reason AT&T was blocking us. We checked our IP's against both RBL's they said to check before requesting to be removed from their blacklist and we were not listed on either of them but they were blocking us anyway.

I requested for them to unblock our IP's and they did within 48 hours and it seems to have fixed the issue for now.
    What RBLs did they have you check against?

Strange that AT&T would be unwilling to reveal information, though the bounced message clearly shows us why. I'm not sure who your host is but it could be that the entire I.P. address range has been RBL'd for abuse.

These types of issues are the responsibility of the host. The process is automated and, unless something's not legit, like habitual abuse reports, there should be no reason why they can't have this restriction lifted.

However, you can give it a shot.

http://rbl.att.net/block_inquiry.html
    http://rbl.att.net/end_user_request2.html

Good luck!
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

Quote Originally Posted by badarac View Post
    What RBLs did they have you check against?
    Spamhaus and Symantec.

Here is the link to their page.

http://www.att.net/general-info/521.html

This is the link to their main block inquiry page.

http://rbl.att.net/block_inquiry.html

You might try this

http://rbl.att.net/end_user_request2.html

Since you would be a end user, otherwise Hostgator would need to fill out the administrator request form to have the block removed.

It's AT&T..

I can vouch for this as it happened once with us last year. Was a non-issue after that.
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

Thanks for the links. It's not Hostgator it's Bigscoots. I checked the IPs and domains against those links and there are no problems. I can only assume that Bigscoots has submitted the form. That's where I would have started in all this. As for the whole range of IPs being blocked that was the reason they got a new range of IPs issued. I sent an email to the abuse email at AT&T explaining the problem and asking them to contact me. We'll see how that goes. At the very least I hope to find out from them what the problem is.

Oh sorry I read it wrong... You moved him off of Hostgator... My bad...

I usually check my IP's against this RBL checker since it seems to be one of the most complete.

http://multirbl.valli.org/

Plus it gives links to the removal page of the RBL your listed on for most of them so it saves a little bit of time.

Good luck with getting your IP's removed.

badarca,
    Just a quick Google search of "521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse.", I see lot's of forum posts about AT&T blocking them as well. Also, forum users claiming they been at it for 6 months or more! I think this is an AT&T issue.

I did read on one of the AT&T forums that it might be a misconfiguration for the PTR record. Might want to verify your settings just in case.

Thanks Jeremy. That link uncovered 3 RBLs in Russia and China. I doubt that's what's causing this but I'll pass it on to the hosting co.

JesseS, I saw those posts too. aving this take 4-6 months or more to resolve is crazy. That's why I decided to open another thread to ask for help.

That RBL checker test forward and reverse DNS for you at the top. If everything is green then you are good. Otherwise it will show red and tell you something is not right.

For us it was not an issue with PTR records since we control our own forward and reverse DNS records and everything was set correctly.

It's AT&T..

Same with us Jeremy, our IPs are totally clean, no blacklists anywhere yet AT&T decided it would be a good idea to block entire ranges for no good reason. I have been speaking with them/browsing the web trying to find a solution and from what I can gather there was a recent change in management and as such a change in email policies. I can only speculate as to what those changes might be, but we've gone down all the typical avenues with their online forms, contacting via email, sitting on hold for half a day, and there hasn't yet been any real progress. We've been able to get new ranges announced for the sole purpose of getting a few customers who are having issues with ATT mail back online, but that isn't a solution, only a bandaid. We will get you some updates if we ever hear definitively from ATT as to why they are deciding to block clear/reputable ranges.

Thanks for the links. It's not Hostgator it's Bigscoots. I checked the IPs and domains against those links and there are no problems. I can only assume that Bigscoots has submitted the form. That's where I would have started in all this. As for the whole range of IPs being blocked that was the reason they got a new range of IPs issued. I sent an email to the abuse email at AT&T explaining the problem and asking them to contact me. We'll see how that goes. At the very least I hope to find out from them what the problem is.
    Thanks for sticking it out Badarac, very sorry for the trouble. I can assure you we're doing all we can!

Quote Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
    badarca,
    Just a quick Google search of "521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse.", I see lot's of forum posts about AT&T blocking them as well. Also, forum users claiming they been at it for 6 months or more! I think this is an AT&T issue.

I did read on one of the AT&T forums that it might be a misconfiguration for the PTR record. Might want to verify your settings just in case.
    Yes, I've seen/spoken to lots of folks who operate decade old hosting companies and are having their /23 and /22's totally blacklisted! Crazy!
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated Hosting
    Fully Managed | 100% Positive Approval Rating! | Server Migrations
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based ~5 Minute Response Times | 100% Network Uptime

No worries Scott. I did a lot of research before I moved my resold accounts off Hostgator. This is just a bump in the road. The migration of my resold account went a lot smoother than I expected. You have no control over what AT&T does or their willingness to cooperate.

Thanks everybody for the help. Bigscoots finally heard back from AT&T and was able to fix the problem for my client. I'll let Scott chime in here with the details of what they had to do to correct the problem if he wants. Must have been the strongly worded email I sent AT&T that got them motivated to fix it.

No worries Scott. I did a lot of research before I moved my resold accounts off Hostgator. This is just a bump in the road. The migration of my resold account went a lot smoother than I expected. You have no control over what AT&T does or their willingness to cooperate.
    Thank you for understanding

Thanks everybody for the help. Bigscoots finally heard back from AT&T and was able to fix the problem for my client. I'll let Scott chime in here with the details of what they had to do to correct the problem if he wants. Must have been the strongly worded email I sent AT&T that got them motivated to fix it.
    Gah, whos to say really. The 20 hours of hold time and finally getting a supervisor to call us back I believe is what finally caused something to happen, but all they did was "expedite" our online requests, or at least that is what we were told. This whole run around in my opinion is absolutely inexcusable while living in a world of up time. There is nothing us little guys could ever do to change AT&T's policies but I do hope they get their stuff together sometime soon, I feel sorry for anyone else who may have to experience this in the future
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated Hosting
    Fully Managed | 100% Positive Approval Rating! | Server Migrations
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based ~5 Minute Response Times | 100% Network Uptime

Glad to hear you got it resolved.