Should contact information be required in Advertising Forums

Would it be a good idea to require users to have complete contact information either in their profile on post? Possibly also ot allowing free email accounts. It seems lately many new users have no contact information in the post or profile. Or they use multiple hotmail accounts and WHT IDs.

Yes, that a good Idea, I vote for that...
    Royi Sher
    CatchyHost
    "We Catch Your Way Of Thinking"
    May Special @ CatchyHost

Count my vote; sounds like a good idea to me.

Their profile should have their website url. That's all you need. If you don't have the info on your website then people won't choose you anyways.
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

I would like to see more than a url. I am thinking about identifing the new users that sign with no info, and free email account. Two reasons to help a buyer do research and to help prevent users from creating multiple IDs to get around the forum rules.

Me, as a buyer, would demand such information. If they didn't supply it; I'm not buying. That's about the only 'rule' we need. Just don't buy from those that try to hide their information.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Me, as a buyer, would demand such information. If they didn't supply it; I'm not buying. That's about the only 'rule' we need. Just don't buy from those that try to hide their information.
    so you mean you wouldn't buy hosting from someone using sexydude69@hotmail.com as their contact email?

I might send an email for kicks.

I'm with SWR on this one.

Even if contact information is "required" it's up to you(the buyer) to verify it. The "seller" could just as easily put info there that isn't legit.

I vote this Most of the time if someone is selling something and Im interested, if they arent online at the time or dont have any contact methods I dont bother with them....

I could of sworn MattF's thread about posting there said that contact information (aim, msn, icq, email, url, etc) should not be posted along with things like standard account features (X forwarder, X subdomains, PHP Support, CGI Support, Network connections, etc) since people who are interested in you are going to visit your site anyways.

I could be wrong since it's been a few days since I've read it ...
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

Originally posted by akash
    . . . . . . The "seller" could just as easily put info there that isn't legit.
    Exactly. And adding a rule could actually 'encourage' false information.

I think it would be better to put one of those "whois" links at the top. That way it's easy to find out who a certain domain is registered to, and how long it has been registered. Not everyone has a whois-tool on their computer. A link to one of the better services put at the top along with some of the other resources would be helpful.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

That would be nice except now with GoDaddy and others offering privacy options the information is not helpful.

And again, whois info can even be falsified. The *only* legit way to make a sale is face to face, and even then, that doesn't mean you can't get scammed.