Hostgator Site Still Down - Day 3

I pay $130/month for VPS - when hostagator went down a few days ago, my sites (40) never came back up.

Here they report that everything is fine for my node:
    forums.hostgator.com/emergency-file-system-maintenance-vps802-t302266.html

But its not! Now my clients are threatening to sue me. I have backups of all 40 sites but they are located on the same server (I seriously never anticipated that I wouldn't be able to access my backups).

I have called in, live chat, submitted support tickets...all for nothing. Here we are on day 3 and I'm sooooooo screwed.

So just be careful when choosing a hosting company. I'd been using Hostgator for 5 years with no problems until last August(short term outage) and now this.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Unfortunately, it sounds like HostGator has gone downhill since EIG purchased them. Good luck.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by greenpix View Post
    Now my clients are threatening to sue me.

But you have this covered in your TOS, right?
    Best Regards,

Mark

That just stinks this is why all backups should be put to a remote server and on a local machine

EIG way of problems. they buy companies in a high price then want to get that money back within a year buy overselling and cutting down staffs.

TOS - yes

Oh sure - we are covered in our TOS...

but that's nothing compared to the reality of pissed off clients who are losing money by the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens View Post
    But you have this covered in your TOS, right?

Cloud Backups - Totally agree

Agreed - and I'm taking full responsibility for our backups not being on the cloud or at least off this particular server.

Back on the phone with hostgator. They wanted to hop off the phone while the ticket is "escalated" (I've heard that before).

Hey I know about data center issues and I feel bad for this support dude who has to site with me on the phone because I refuse to get off until I hear some news on this.

But unless they hang up on me...I'm going to sit here and camp out until my sites are all back up.

Quote Originally Posted by sjr2004 View Post
    That just stinks this is why all backups should be put to a remote server and on a local machine

EIG - agreed, hostgator has had problems since aquisition

Agreed; I never had a problem with hostgator in the past 5 years but now...things are different.

Quote Originally Posted by reldegart View Post
    EIG way of problems. they buy companies in a high price then want to get that money back within a year buy overselling and cutting down staffs.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpix View Post
    Agreed - and I'm taking full responsibility for our backups not being on the cloud or at least off this particular server.

Back on the phone with hostgator. They wanted to hop off the phone while the ticket is "escalated" (I've heard that before).

Hey I know about data center issues and I feel bad for this support dude who has to site with me on the phone because I refuse to get off until I hear some news on this.

But unless they hang up on me...I'm going to sit here and camp out until my sites are all back up.
    You are going to stay on the phone with the tech until the issue is resolved?

The Hostgator/EIG snafu is starting to rival the Readyhosting/EIG mess in late 2005, early 2006. All we need is 2-3 more days to tie it. Back then EIG loaded all the servers onto truck, and the sites were down for 5+ days. I left after about 2, but kept monitoring it. Most of my databases and emails were lost. All they seemed to do was grab stuff via FTP. Thankfully, I always keep backups, and has one that was a few days old. (There days, I take daily ones.)

That was the second time EIG screwed me. SOBs.

Everybody was at the old host was apparently fired. And the new techs were useless, and may have been based in India.

Avoid EIG at all costs. Find a better host. Move. Leave now! ASAP!
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    The Hostgator/EIG snafu is starting to rival the Readyhosting/EIG mess in late 2005, early 2006. All we need is 2-3 more days to tie it. Back then EIG loaded all the servers onto truck, and the sites were down for 5+ days. I left after about 2, but kept monitoring it. Most of my databases and emails were lost.

They managed to achieve the two worst things that can happen to any hosting service in one go.
    Scary...

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    The Hostgator/EIG snafu is starting to rival the Readyhosting/EIG mess in late 2005, early 2006. All we need is 2-3 more days to tie it. Back then EIG loaded all the servers onto truck, and the sites were down for 5+ days. I left after about 2, but kept monitoring it. Most of my databases and emails were lost. All they seemed to do was grab stuff via FTP. Thankfully, I always keep backups, and has one that was a few days old. (There days, I take daily ones.)

That was the second time EIG screwed me. SOBs.

Everybody was at the old host was apparently fired. And the new techs were useless, and may have been based in India.

Avoid EIG at all costs. Find a better host. Move. Leave now! ASAP!
    Heed kmedia's advice and stay away from EIG host so you'll not have to take pain and nerve pills.

I guess the reason bluehost was painless acquisition is because it came with it's own equipment and data center, where hostgator leased all their hardware from SoftLayer/ThePlanet.

This is why we moved away from traditional VPS hosting. Local backups didn't help us when a node went down and took 5 days to fsck. We lost half of the clients on that node and precipitated the move to cloud hosting. Can't beat backups stored on a NAS. It's so cheap it would be criminal not to do it and can be easily absorbed into the pricing model of cloud hosting.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    I guess the reason bluehost was painless acquisition is because it came with it's own equipment and data center, where hostgator leased all their hardware from SoftLayer/ThePlanet.
    Imagine the size of that monthly bill! I never understood why HG didn't make the move to colo.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability