Hardware in Netherlands

Hi

I am looking for some guidance on where to get hardware in Netherlands. We are looking to deploy a pop into Amsterdam, in the US we use supermicro servers and Cisco switching. We want to do this deployment without stepping foot in Amsterdam if possible. So I am looking for a vendor who can build the servers to our spec and also do a basic OS install so that we can just get Telecity to rack the boxes up and we can carry on from there.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Budget is around $40k US so if we have any vendors on here who would like to work with us then feel free to contact me.

Hi.

What kind of hardware specifications do you need?

For much vendors this should not be a problem.
    ★★★★★
    HostSlim Europe - Premium Managed Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Premium Hosting - Premium Network - 800Gbps DDoS Protection Available - OWN AS/NETWORK/EQUIPMENT
    Resell Whitelabel Dedicated Servers - Twitter: @HostSlim - www.HostSlim.eu - Facebook: @HostSlimBV

we want :

2 x SuperServer 1027TR-TF
    8 x E5-2630
    512gb RAM
    single 250gb(ish) Disk in each (OS Only)

2 x SuperChassis 826BA-R1K28LPB
    2 x Mobo for above
    4 x E5-2609
    256gb RAM
    24 x 3tb Disk

We also need 3 x Servers for networking - no specific specs, but 16gb RAM each, 8 x Cores in each. 1U Boxes.

For switches we use 2 x Cisco 3750X-24 for Data and 1 x 2960G for OOB

4. Quote Originally Posted by Koding View Post
    we want :

2 x SuperServer 1027TR-TF
    8 x E5-2630
    512gb RAM
    single 250gb(ish) Disk in each (OS Only)

2 x SuperChassis 826BA-R1K28LPB
    2 x Mobo for above
    4 x E5-2609
    256gb RAM
    24 x 3tb Disk

We also need 3 x Servers for networking - no specific specs, but 16gb RAM each, 8 x Cores in each. 1U Boxes.

For switches we use 2 x Cisco 3750X-24 for Data and 1 x 2960G for OOB
    instead of two 1U twin-noders, why not single 2U twin2 4-noder (SYS-6027TR-HTRF+)? why, twin2 has dual PSU, and supports the latest Ivy Bridge EP based Xeon E5-2609 v2 chips (uses 15-watt less power per CPU than the old sandy bridge E5), and 16x DDR3 slots (16Gb x16 = 256G RAM) per blade node.
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/s...27TR-HTRF_.cfm

826BA-R1K28LPB is not a good choice either! it comes with 12-port direct attached backplane so that you will need total of 12x 6G/s SATA ports on server board (basically non-existing) or from an add-on HBA or RAID card. it would be a cabling nightmare as well.

826BE16-R1K28LPB (or R920LPB)is a better choice because it comes with 12-port SAS-II expansion backplane, then you can opt for X9DR7-LN4F board with LSI2008 HBA embedded to control all 12 3.5" drives with single SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable if no hardware RAID is needed. for hardware RAID configuration, you can use standard X9DRI-F board with LSI 9271-4i HW RAID card (1x SAS-II channel) to control all 12 drives. 9271-8iCC card with bundled Cachecade software is also an excellent choice for this setup with 1 or 2 Intel S3700 SSD as caching drive(s) which can be installed in the 2x 2.5" hot-swap bays at rear panel.

will recommend Seagate 3TB ST3000NM0033 or ST3000NC001 for the 2U build.

Thank you for the sage advice

The storage box was a mistake on my behalf, we use 24 bay boxes in the US - not 12 bay

As for the CPU, we would prefer to stick to the ones currently deployed so that was can keep our spares pool simple

6. Quote Originally Posted by Koding View Post
    Thank you for the sage advice

The storage box was a mistake on my behalf, we use 24 bay boxes in the US - not 12 bay

As for the CPU, we would prefer to stick to the ones currently deployed so that was can keep our spares pool simple
    all supermicro X9Dxx series dual socket 2011 board can support either Sandy Bridge Xeon or Ivy Bridge Xeon (v2) with proper BIOS update to v3.0A so that you can freely swap CPU from your spares if you have to! going forward, there is no compelling reason to stay with old tech. E5-2630 v2 (2.6Ghz) runs 0.3Ghz faster, uses 15-watt less power than v1 sandy bridge (2.3Ghz), and costs about the same. truly a win-win choice.

for 24x 3.5" chassis, the 4U SC846E16-R920B (24-port SAS-II expander) is a good choice! you don't really need dual 1280w PSU, dual 920watt will do just dandy.

SC846E16-R920B is exactly what we use in the US. But 144tb is overkill for our .nl pop so we will be looking for the 12 bay equivalent.

You make a good point about the CPU's - lots to think about.

Any advice on who to use in the Netherlands ?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Koding View Post
    SC846E16-R920B is exactly what we use in the US. But 144tb is overkill for our .nl pop so we will be looking for the 12 bay equivalent.

You make a good point about the CPU's - lots to think about.

Any advice on who to use in the Netherlands ?
    then why not two SC826BE16-R920B with 12x 3.5" each? but you would need two sets of server board + CPU's + RAM + RAID/HBA card which would increase your deployment cost very significantly.

don;t really know any builder in NL. why not use an US builder, not necessarily Apaq, for these builds, then ship them over? using UPS consolidated air freight, which costs just 1/3 - 1/4 of what "regular" UPS air package would charge, is really not that bad at all, freight cost wise so that it COULD cost you less even with consolidated air freight charge. Supermicro has a service center right in NL so that getting warranty service shouldn't be too difficult either.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    then why not two SC826BE16-R920B with 12x 3.5" each? but you would need two sets of server board + CPU's + RAM + RAID/HBA card which would increase your deployment cost very significantly.

don;t really know any builder in NL. why not use an US builder, not necessarily Apaq, for these builds, then ship them over? using UPS consolidated air freight, which costs just 1/3 - 1/4 of what "regular" UPS air package would charge, is really not that bad at all, freight cost wise so that it COULD cost you less even with consolidated air freight charge. Supermicro has a service center right in NL so that getting warranty service shouldn't be too difficult either.
    The cost is less important then having 2 boxes, we run Ceph on them so basically have network based RAID1.

I was concerned that freight would kill us - as I understand it we would have to pay import duty on getting the gear into Europe which would wipe out any savings from getting the gear in the US.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Koding View Post
    The cost is less important then having 2 boxes, we run Ceph on them so basically have network based RAID1.

I was concerned that freight would kill us - as I understand it we would have to pay import duty on getting the gear into Europe which would wipe out any savings from getting the gear in the US.
    since most server parts are not made in NL, one way or another, those NL builders would also need to pay import duties and freight cost factored in their pricing structure so that your cost as end user shouldn't be too much different.

we just ship 440-lb for 15pcs 1U dual Xeon barebone to a client is Swiss using UPS consolidated air freight, and it costed just ~US$750 to ship. that's under $50 shipping charge per server from Atlanta to Zurich. freight to NL should be even cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Koding View Post

No import duty, just VAT. If you buy in NL you will still have to pay VAT as they will not ship it outside NL/EU and therefor have to charge you this. Only saving will be shipment costs and possible damage in transport.

For Supermicro in NL i would recommend TWP. Not sure if they would go as far as installing your OS (i think you will have to ask the DC to do this), but the rest should be no problem.
    YISP - High Bandwidth dedicated servers and colocation in YISP-AS(Amsterdam)!