WHMCS 5.2.12 -> 5.2.13 Incremental - Admin Templates Changed

Hello,

We upgraded our own WHMCS installation today from 5.2.12 to 5.2.13 as per the WHMCS TSR -> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1324213

This update includes changes to the admin templates [i.e. blend, original, and v4] but this is not noted on the blog post or in the patch notes. Failure to apply these changes to our custom templates resulted in 'invalid token' errors for many key functions of the WHMCS Administration area.

While it seems most do not modify their admin templates - the option exists - so I wanted to make everyone aware of this potential issue so it can be avoided.

We are running modified administration templates to add some features to WHMCS that are not in the core software - such as showing the account username and the server the account is on within the ticket view.

We did this by duplicating the "v4" folder over to a new name, making our modifications, and then updating our staff to use this new template. This way when we perform an update our changes are preserved and we can use the patch notes to modify or update our custom files with any changes.

We check all templates on a 'full' update but have never had an incremental update that changed templates without it being stated in the documentation that comes with the patch. We've gotten used to the patch documentation being clear as to what was changed or updated but it seems in the last year sometime this was changed and the patch notes no longer include a concise list of changes.

From this point forward we'll obviously be watching any incremental patches for template changes regardless of what the patch notes say. It's easy to do -> check the templates folders and see what files are there in the patch - it's just not something we've had to do before.

If you're running customized administration templates on WHMCS and you haven't yet updated from 5.2.12 to 5.2.13:
    1. Update! It's a security release!
    2. Make sure you copy over the modifications from the default templates to your customized templates.

I just wanted to put this out there for anybody else that may run into the same issue so that you can resolve this quickly and easily without having to bug WHMCS.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Thank you for sharing this. It applies only on admin templates, not client area templates, right?
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Michael View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. It applies only on admin templates, not client area templates, right?
    Apparently not.

We have a highly customized client area theme which was not affected after the latest update.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Michael View Post
    No changes here too. Everything is OK.

Regards
    George B. | ROWEBCA
    Web Hosting Services & Server Management

I've seen this issue, it's very annoying indeed.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    From this point forward we'll obviously be watching any incremental patches for template changes
    I've come to take each of these incrementals and run it through BeyondCompare (though any good comparison program will do) to show all the differences. I ignore the encoded files, and concentrate on anything that remains. Only takes a minute, shows what the edits are, and makes it simple to figure out what needs doing.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I've come to take each of these incrementals and run it through BeyondCompare (though any good comparison program will do) to show all the differences. I ignore the encoded files, and concentrate on anything that remains. Only takes a minute, shows what the edits are, and makes it simple to figure out what needs doing.
    I use Kaleidoscope for Mac. It works great - I've just never had to do it for an incremental security patch before. Live and learn!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Hi,
    We do indeed recommend users of custom templates ensure they are updated when upgrading. I would encourage everyone to read the release notes and change log to familiarise themselves with the changes made in each release.

Changes to templates are listed within the release notes: http://docs.whmcs.com/Version_5.2_Re...mplate_Changes
    WHMCS
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    Documentation | Help Guides

I couldn't find the 'release notes' included in the patch... It mentioned nothing about template file changes nor did the blog post that linked directly to the patch.

Anybody getting this patch via the blog post would have to go out of their way to view the release notes - is there any reason they aren't simply included with the patch?