please help me to choose a VPS

Hello folks,
    I'm currently on a semi-dedicated hosting but during peak hours (2 hours) it has problems. My cPanel resource analysis shows me:

"You have reached entry processes (number of simultaneously running php and cgi scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell
    sessions) limit 23 times".
    During the traffic spike, my website is sooooooo slow!

So, if i move to VPS, what should be a proper spec.?

My website is a custom built php and database driven. It does not have any server side caching software at the moment (i'm considering nginx though). I use CloudFlare.

My daily visitors: 2500-3000
    Daily visits: 3500-4000.
    Average time on site: 5-7 min
    It takes 50+ entry processes during the peak

99% of the visitors are from a single country (central Asian) and 80% of all the traffic comes within just 2 hours. During other periods, it's so idle. Sometimes no guest.

Any suggestion please? I have contacted my current hosting provider (semi-ded) and they have done their best to help me but it still quite slow during the spike. I guess it's time to migrate to VPS, or?

Thank you for all your help
    Morris

You need more ram and better cpu if you are running php with database.

How much is your budget anyway?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Morris2 View Post
    Hello folks,

So, if i move to VPS, what should be a proper spec.?

My website is a custom built php and database driven.
    this will really depend on how many resources you actually need during your peak traffic

even more difficult to predict with a custom built application. Do you have any metrics or load testing done to understand how many resources your custom built application uses?

It does not have any server side caching software at the moment (i'm considering nginx though). I use CloudFlare.
    its doubtful an nginx static proxy would help you since you are using a CDN for static delivery anyway.

Any suggestion please? I have contacted my current hosting provider (semi-ded) and they have done their best to help me but it still quite slow during the spike. I guess it's time to migrate to VPS, or?

Thank you for all your help
    Morris
    I would consider the following actions in order to determine your actual requirements

1) find out your cpu and ram limitations on your current plan from your current provider if you can

2) consider load testing your application to determine the resources you actually require during peak traffic periods

3) consider a cloud based provider with an auto-scaling feature. You can set your scaling so that your resources are added when you need them during your spike and removed when you are done spiking. meaning you can pay for 4 cpu and 4GB ram (or whatever you need) for your few busy hours, then pay a base cost for a 1GB VM the rest of the time for example

hope this helps

Do you know what your resource limit is at your current host? That could tell you the resources you will need from the VPS. Like above you may want to consider a cloud provider for your website, but a regular VPS may work just fine.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!

Maybe a provider with ssd cache/ssd and with 4 gb ram? Do you need cpanel on it?
    Any prefered location?
    If you have a good budget I would recommend you to choose knownhost or wiredtree

A great way to squeeze more from a small VPS running PHP/MySQL is to ensure that you're on a 32-bit OS, as a 64-bit OS uses more memory per process. I found that switching from CentOS to Ubuntu 12.04LTS(32) on my VPSs with under 2GB reduced memory usage by a minimum of 30% on all systems, and over 40% on anything running Apache with prefork MPM.

So I guess my suggestion would be to keep it 32-bit if under 2GB, and go for 64-bit only if you can afford 4GB+ on a VPS.

That's an interesting point Jesa.

A VPS in this situation may or may not solve the problem.

You truly need to look at the workload that your current site/visitors are placing on the server and what resources are actually being used.

This will involve asking your current host to assist you in finding out what resources your site is using and if you are happy with them, they may even be able to suggest what you need to improve performance.

What are your limits of simultaneous jobs? what is the Memory and CPU limits? What stack is powering your site?

You need to thoroughly understand what the limitations are before you can actually address them. Once you know what is being used, then you can look at various options to improve performance, and yes, it might be a VPS running a different Web server, or it might be a dedicated server - we cannot assist until we know the workload.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Jesa View Post
    A great way to squeeze more from a small VPS running PHP/MySQL is to ensure that you're on a 32-bit OS, as a 64-bit OS uses more memory per process. I found that switching from CentOS to Ubuntu 12.04LTS(32) on my VPSs with under 2GB reduced memory usage by a minimum of 30% on all systems, and over 40% on anything running Apache with prefork MPM.

So I guess my suggestion would be to keep it 32-bit if under 2GB, and go for 64-bit only if you can afford 4GB+ on a VPS.
    Switching from 1 distro to another without taking the effort to disable all un-needed services is not a real comparision. I can run a 64-bit Centos Install that is very lean with a few minutes of effort.

Honestly, a better way is to run exactly what is needed - so drop Apache and Run Nginx instead. You will save far more resources than choosing 32 bit on a moderate site that has a decent amount of traffic. Drop all non-essential services as well and you will gain more.

Look at the memory requirements of running both and it is obvious that a lightweight stack (Nginx) is far better than the heavyweight stack (Apache).
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Morris2 View Post
    99% of the visitors are from a single country (central Asian) and 80% of all the traffic comes within just 2 hours. During other periods, it's so idle. Sometimes no guest.

What is CPU load during peak time? Do you have access to WHM with the semi-dedicated hosting account?
    Do you need hosting service in Asia to benefit visitors from Asia?
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Hello everyone,
    Million thanks for your generous helps.

I have checked my cPanel and the Resource Usage shows during the peak period:
    -20% of CPU (i believe the cpu they allocated me was around 100mb. now they show it only by percentage)
    -slightly below of 768MB Virtual Memory usage
    -Physical memory 256M
    -I/O usage less than 100kb/s
    -Entry process: 50+

So, my clear problem is Entry Process limit. If i move to a VPS with 2GB ram (for example TMZ VPS with 2G plan), would this entry process problem be solved? My current semi-ded hosting cannot increase the entry process limit.

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot

Did you find out your current limitations with your current provider? If you are having these type of issues on a semi-dedicated plan than you might have them on a VPS also.

Find out exactly what your limitations are on your semi-dedi and let us know.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

My problem with this question is that although I'm willing to answer it, my experience with cheap web hosts have not been entirely favorable, so it is difficult to recommend the cheap ones where I have actually placed sites on.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Did you find out your current limitations with your current provider? If you are having these type of issues on a semi-dedicated plan than you might have them on a VPS also.

Find out exactly what your limitations are on your semi-dedi and let us know.

- Daniel
    Thank you for the reply. May i ask what do you mean by limitations?
    My package has:
    10GB space
    Bandwidht: unlimited
    2CPU cores (100%)
    MySQL connection: 50 (and my Entry Process reaches it during the peak period).

Could you please tell me what Entry Process depend on? I've no issue with space, ram and cpu. But this entry process is problem.
    Any idea?
    Thanks

I would say you have to go with at least 2GB of RAM, with 2 core CPU and that should handle what you have.
    but it also your script should be checked. it might need more

Thanks
    RouterHosting
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation

Maybe not Not WiredTree or HostGator

I've used HostGator for quite a while, with a reseller account on one of their VPS plans. Since they were purchased, I have experienced three bad outages of more than 1 hour: The first, early this year was something like 27 hours; the second was about 7 hours and the third, today, was for 3 hours.

So I'm done with them.

I tried WiredTree. I was really impressed with them at the start, but we had a few issues they just couldn't fix: After some intermittent period of time or usage, all requests to all of my PHP based client sites resulted in error 500 returns. They tuned the memory available to PHP way up, then way back down. The second was horrible slowdowns. The server and sites would be available, but just nasty slow. If I could stay logged in with SSH, it might take 20 or 30 seconds to echo back "ls" when typed at the command prompt. This happened while connected via three separate ISPs: DSL, AT&T hotspot and Verizon mobile.

The thing that really irritated me about WiredTree, though, is that because I didn't tell them to stop before 60 days, they won't refund the remainder of the year's hosting fee that was paid in advance. So if you go with them, be sure to have all issues that might cause you to cancel figured out before 60 days.

I was never confident enough to migrate my last, largest client to WT. If it wasn't stable with the 14 tiny to small sites I host, I didn't want to try moving the last one, which has about 15,000 visitors per month, as measured by Google Analytics.

So while others seem to be relatively happy with WT, I'm done with them, too.

Based on reviews here, I thinking of trying KnownHost. My main website client really wants me to go with RackSpace, though.

I'll post my own review once I make the decision.

Good luck!
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewinhouston View Post
    I was really impressed with them at the start, but we had a few issues they just couldn't fix
    I am sorry to hear there were issues our team couldn't fix. It looks like you had a good overall experience based on your tickets but in the end there were PHP memory limit issues and slowness in your direct connection that were a deal breaker for you. At this point I understand that you are moving on and looking for a new host but I would love the opportunity to work with you, one of our Network Administrators and a Support Coordinator to see if we could get to the bottom of what you were experiencing. Our connectivity at WiredTree is top notch because we use top quality providers such as Level3, Savvis and more. We are also one of the few providers in the world to use hardware route optimization. If there is a problem with your connection to WiredTree or slowness in general, I would like to have a direct hand in determining the issue. If you would like to work with me in troubleshooting the situation, I would be happy to do so. You would just need to PM me or email me directly by using james at wiredtree.com

Thanks for the reply and offer, James, but it's just a little too late. The account is already closed.

Hello,
    Could the admin/moderator shift the last two replies to their proper sections? I don't think they understand what's being discussed here.

Morris2, my apology if this was in the wrong place. I thought my experiences with other hosting providers might help you make your choice. I'm all for having it moved to another location.

Smile

There are a lot of great suggestions here, one that I don't see is SLA. I think there is value in finding a provider that has reasonable pricing, maybe not cheap cheap pricing but can back up what they're offering. It's no good to do all the testing to tweak your VPS/Code just to have disruptions at a regular interval.

My 2 cents.
    Anson

@andrewinhouston. I understand you. I experienced what you've been experiencing. If you check my other posts, i had a bad time with Hostgator. I was stupid that i stayed with them way too long. But luckily, those days are now gone. I finally closed my account there and moved on. I would say even Godaddy hosting is better than them. Actually many people say negative things about godaddy, but in my personal experience, it is was not that bad. It handled 300 visitors during peak hours and i paid only 8$. Now my current hosting charges me 20$ and they can't serve more than 150. But ...but i wouldn't go back to Godaddy either. I thought TMZ VPS would answer my question but seems they're busy with their clients so i have to look for something else. Many great advices here. What a great people you are