Delivery time for Internet and point to point circuits

How long does it typically take carriers to deliver Internet and point to point circuits?

if you use a colo service, Internet hand offs can happen quite fast withing 24 hours
    if you require PTP circuits from a specific carrier, they will typically take 30-60 days depending upon the telecom provider
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - colocation, dedicated and cloud quotes

It really depends... If it is in an on-net colo facility you can often get circuits turned up pretty quickly, 24-48 hours, but that can really depend on the carrier. I'd still say to allow a week or two for most carriers in those cases though. If you're doing a more complex or custom circuit it could easily take 30-90 days.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

typically ONNET is 7-30 days. Off net can be 60-180 days.

Yep pretty much every is on the same page with time frames. Again on-net should move pretty quickly, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the LEC's etc (ATT/CL/Verizon/ETC) could still take 30+ days for on-net.

I primarily deal in off net, and ive had some take right at 30 days of even under for a full build out, and ive had some take 6+ months, it really is a case by case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldude919 View Post
    Yep pretty much every is on the same page with time frames. Again on-net should move pretty quickly, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the LEC's etc (ATT/CL/Verizon/ETC) could still take 30+ days for on-net.

I primarily deal in off net, and ive had some take right at 30 days of even under for a full build out, and ive had some take 6+ months, it really is a case by case basis.

or 180.... in Verizon land.. yes you would be surprised at the crap that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldude919 View Post

You must have very small builds.. or extremely fast cities that do permitting in 24 hours.. and engineers that can draw up the plans extremely fast. Permitting alone here in NOVA takes 30 days..

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    You must have very small builds.. or extremely fast cities that do permitting in 24 hours.. and engineers that can draw up the plans extremely fast. Permitting alone here in NOVA takes 30 days..
    One was TWTC in Indianapolis. Their fiber ducts were on our property, and our 4" conduit was something like ~15 feet away. They dug and intercepted one of the ducts, set a hand hole there, ran fiber down the road a bit to the nearest splice point, then pulled into our building. The 4" terminated directly in our demarc room so there was no internal extension to worry about.

Had another with them that took more of a build in Memphis, and the permit from the city slowed things down because it took something close to 2 months by itself.

Is the building onnet or offnet? Are you looking for service to MPOE or to the 50th floor? Do you need diverse entrances into the building with as much redundancy as possible or is one feed enough? Is the building owned by a single company or is it multi-tenant? What time of year are you wanting to put this in place and what's the weather going to be?

All of that will cause the timeline to vary wildly. The shortest time you should expect if the carrier isn't already in the same building is 30 days, IMO. If they're not in the same building or if any sort of construction is required to put pipes in place and establish connectivity, your timeframe can go up to 180 days (or more) very rapidly.

We usually see similar times as you are reporting for on-net. For off-net, we have seen delivery times be much longer, 3 to well over 6 months is not unusual.