Hi all, thanks to reviews and feedback from this site, I've been using Gandi for a while now, however for last two days their sites have been down, and all email services have stopped. Is there anyone here who know's what's happened to them?
As many of you know, there have been issues with Simple Hosting
instances in recent days. In particular, the instances have been
suffering Internet connectivity problems.
After some time, we were able to identify the cause of these problems,
and we do take full responsibility for them. There were issues with our
monitoring, and this masked the issue and slowed down our analysis and
The actual issue involved a capacity threshold with the NAT gateways.
These gateway machines, which provide connectivity to the Internet
for the Simple Hosting instances, were all precipitously saturated.
What you saw was a 503 error on your instance.
Our initial response was to refine the monitoring thresholds for
detecting this type of capacity exhaustion. This refinement is continuing,
and will give us the ability to respond to this problem much more quickly
Complete remediation of the issue will require another task to be
completed: We will need to replace the gateways with units better suited
to your use of Simple Hosting. We will need to choose a solution that is
compatible with our platform and robust enough to handle the growth we
are seeing, and then install, test, configure, and instantiate these new
This means that while we are dealing with the problem, we will still
require a few weeks to completely resolve it, and see these errors
We do expect that the improvements in monitoring will allow us to
proactively manage the issue and minimize it's impact in the meantime.
We want you to know that we are doing this work to improve the Simple
Hosting service, and that we take the issue seriously.
We will be extending the contract of all Simple Hosting customers who
were current as of last Monday by one week as some small compensation
for the errors you may have seen.
We appreciate your patience with this.
The Gandi Team.
Hi thanks for your replies - this seems to be a problem with Windows 7 (I think) on a couple of my PCs! I can access gandi website via it's ip address - 220.127.116.11, but no chance via domain name, however gandi.net domain name works on my iphone!
Perhaps as a short term fix I could use ip address of mail servers...
After searching up and down all manner of posts on netbios and dns issues, I discovered that somehow or another, new dns server addresses had been entered into my network settings on both machines, and these for some reason would not resolve gandi.net.
I set dns servers to point to google's public dns (18.104.22.168, 2001:4860:4860::8888), and gandi.net is resolved. (and imap access is also restored).
Very strange problem, if it happens to anyone here, you know what to do!
[also, cmd prompt >> nslookup is invaluable in solving dns issues!]