Question Dedicated from Leaseweb and Backup Server using VPS elsewhere

Hey guys,

We have a small web design/develop company and we're thinking of getting a dedicated from Leaseweb (we're based in Europe) due to the fact that our business started to grow, so we think Leaseweb would be a good idea.

But, leaving from a shared reseller package we are now will mean that we need a backup server in case something goes wrong in Leaseweb's server. We thought of buying a VPS from Contabo and rsync files between the servers and if sh*t hits the fan change our domain DNS so Contabo takes over until Leaseweb gets up again.

Am I thinking straight here? Contabo's VPS will be of lesser capabilities and only on the event of our main dedi goes down will take over just for those few hours.

I'm asking this as we have 2 customers (among others) that have a large amount of visits per month. One has 120K - 130K/month (in a Joomla 2.5 news posting site) and the other has about 300K/month (Wordpress, also news posting site) and estimated he will go up to 600K/month or even more. So both of them at least should have a smooth experience and a good backup in case something goes wrong.

Thanks in advance!

You can set main server raid 1 to protect data by copying data same time in 2 hdds, even 1 hdd fail server can boot with other and have data, as you saying the large traffic on sites , if you set sites loading in VPS it will down too.. Also some locations in world need more time to update DNS, like 1-2 days.
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    You can set main server raid 1 to protect data by copying data same time in 2 hdds, even 1 hdd fail server can boot with other and have data, as you saying the large traffic on sites , if you set sites loading in VPS it will down too.. Also some locations in world need more time to update DNS, like 1-2 days.
    Yeah we will setup raid for the main server, RAID 1 or 10 whatever is possible. But our main concern is if the server or the network of Leaseweb's goes down, then websites will be unavailable for long periods of time. That's why a backup server, even VPS is what we're thinking, outside of Leaseweb's control, for the purpose of having the sites up as long as possible.

Now for the DNS, if we setup the TTL of the domain to 1 hour, I believe propagation will be faster?

If you maintain your server good you will not have any downtime with server, leaseweb network is good..
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

I don't doubt the network is good. But sometime in the future we may encounter some problems, be it network, or even both disks failing. Noone can guarantee that everything will run smooth all the time.

RAID only gives you peace of mind that if some disk fails you can replace it, but it doesn't give you backup options.

That's what we're trying to accomplish.

you are soooooooooooooooooo cautious. arent you? but i think you can believe leasewebs network its one of the best. and hardware failure maybe doesnt happen everyday. raid 10 would be great. and dns update really takes huge time. i have learned it in the hard way.

If you are so worried about network then why not go for softlayer since there network is top of the line.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

leaseweb has a great network. As they are saying. RAID 10 is the way to go. You could use a 2nd server at leaseweb for a failover if your worried about hardware but I wouldnt worry about their network I have been with them for a few years and have never had any network downtime.