Automatic cPanel to cPanel and dropping unused DB ?

Hello,
    I am using a shared hosting on cPanel. I am now moving to a new hosting service with cPanel. Is there any automatic way to do a transfer, which creates exact replica of addon domains, email address, databases etc ?

#2) I have some unused databases on existing site. Is there a chance, I can see which of them are being used ?

Quote Originally Posted by ahaseeb View Post
    Hello,
    I am using a shared hosting on cPanel. I am now moving to a new hosting service with cPanel. Is there any automatic way to do a transfer, which creates exact replica of addon domains, email address, databases etc ?

#2) I have some unused databases on existing site. Is there a chance, I can see which of them are being used ?
    Yes it is possible to use cPanel to transfer a complete account. You can make a full account backup and hand it to your new host and they can restore it for you.

As for your database, you should know which one you're using and which one you're not. Best to check the config file of whatever program you're using for the name of the database & user.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev

If your provider offers free assistance with cPanel to cPanel transfer, you can request them to do so for you. With cPanel, you can create a backup copy of your entire account which will include all e-mail accounts, databases, and even the traffic stats/logs.

In my opinion the best/safest way to do a cPanel transfer is to use the Backup Wizard and SCP transfer the backup to the remote server, then restore the cpmove file on the new server. Of course, you'll need to ask your host to do this for you since it requires root access.

So I made the backup file from previous server. It is around 2.5 GB file. I downloaded it and then uploaded it to new server. New server have the entire file, but have not been unzipped. What mistake am I making ?

So I made the backup file from previous server. It is around 2.5 GB file. I downloaded it and then uploaded it to new server. New server have the entire file, but have not been unzipped. What mistake am I making ?
    It won't just magically happen on it's own. The server administrator will need to restore the backup for you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

If you do not have root access you will need to ask your provider to restore/unpack the back up file you created.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It won't just magically happen on it's own. The server administrator will need to restore the backup for you.
    Sent them an email. Lets see what their response is

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    If you do not have root access you will need to ask your provider to restore/unpack the back up file you created.
    I have sent them an email and will update you

Thanks a lot !

Most of the hosts provide customers with free migration, so ask them about this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisitors View Post
    Yes it is possible to use cPanel to transfer a complete account. You can make a full account backup and hand it to your new host and they can restore it for you.

As for your database, you should know which one you're using and which one you're not. Best to check the config file of whatever program you're using for the name of the database & user.
    Quote you should know which database you're using if you are uncertain check out the configuration file of your website/cms you should be able to find out which database its using that way,
    Baumann Informatica - Web hosting - Hosting made in the right way!
    Shared Hosting - DNS Hosting - Email Hosting - VPS Hosting
    Server Location: Switzerland - Netherlands - France - Germany - Dallas USA

It's really easy! I was pretty nervous about transferring one of my shared accounts to a new host as I had never had it done before but I contacted Hawk Host and gave them my login info for the account I wanted transferred to them...I went to bed and when I woke up my site (with 30 addon domains all with their own MySQL Databases/Wordpress installs) were working perfectly fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian_B View Post
    Quote you should know which database you're using if you are uncertain check out the configuration file of your website/cms you should be able to find out which database its using that way,
    Don't know why you quoted me....

I offered the solution.... I know how to do all the above.

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev