Thread: bandwidth usage

bandwidth usage

shared hostings who offer 200gb-300gb bandwidth. can we use all the bandwidth? i mean if u have a host then do you allow the full allocated bandwidth use?

Quote Originally Posted by reldegart View Post
    shared hostings who offer 200gb-300gb bandwidth. can we use all the bandwidth? i mean if u have a host then do you allow the full allocated bandwidth use?
    Yes. That is what the customer is paying for, so I have to respect that.

Regards
    ROWEBCA
    Server Services

You usually can't use that much bandwidth on an account, because the site will never get that large. And because there are downloadable file limits.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Usually shared hosting accounts do not use that much bandwidth. But you get if it is provided.

Since bandwidth is cheap now, service provider can easily provide that much bandwidth. But do remember, its also a marketing term to attract new customers.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

bandwidth usage

Like many others said it most likely won't happen because of the resources that would be used for a website using that much bandwidth.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!

Sure, you should get what you pay for.

I've seen people using 1.2-1.3 terabyte traffic on shared hosting, running a very simple site, that use almost no resources.

So surely it's possible to reach the limit, but it will rarely happen.

Depends shared does not go that high usually, but if they have a dedicated 1gbps connection and manage the server properly, you could use it, even on a 100meg setup

Most providers if they give you a set amount then you can use that entire set amount.

If the provider is "doing it right" then they have partitioned off their available bandwidth between all their users, not overselling it.

I make a point test every provider before moving my site. If you offer X amount, you better deliver.

To test bandwidth, we usually end up using a host to mirror a popular Kindle Rom or other such download for a month or so. So you can indeed use that without bringing up other resources (if it's a good host).

▲ ▲

WoltLab Dev

If a website is on shared hosting, its mean that it is using normal resources and therefore can not use that much bandwidth. In my opinion this is only attraction for new customers.

Monthly bandwidth includes all ftp data (uploaded + downloaded), http data (on every visit, particular web page is downloaded in browser)and email sending receiving so it is good to have large bandwidth.

11. We have a few customers using over 200GB/Month. It's within their plan so there is no issue. They pay for it!
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

Yes we do allow customers to use what they pay for, but it is also true that the majority of the clients use a very small amount of bandwidth.
    Fernando - Bitline Hosting Services
    Web Hosting - Since 2002

Bandwidth these days are awfully cheap. If a plan says 500gb then I believe the customer is entitled to use that 500gb. You really have to dig deep into their terms of service and make sure they don't have any limitations on accounts etc. your question is mostly answered when the client reads the terms of service befor signing up