Unlimited space gimmick does it really pull them in?

Unlimited hosting really!
    I watch with interest all over the internet when i see a lot of hosting companies using the unlimited space technique to sell their accounts to unsuspecting customers.

I myself know it is just a gimmick! no such disk drive exists in the world that i know of that is unlimited in space imagine the possalilities if there where!

when advertising my own services i never put unlimited and i push the fact that it does not exist, I give them real disk space quotas and real bandwidth quotas.

So I guess what i am really getting at does this type of hard sell tactic actually work as i find it difficult selling my services otherwise.

I agree with you...unlimited does not exist.

But companies are able to offer unlimited packages simply because most clients will not use a lot of the resources / month.

That being said, most hosts offering unlimited are mostly overloaded...

Quote Originally Posted by NEQ3 - Sam View Post
    I agree with you...unlimited does not exist.

But companies are able to offer unlimited packages simply because most clients will not use a lot of the resources / month.

It's funny you say that because, the company in your signature offers unlimited disk and bandwidth.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

This should be good

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoo View Post
    It's funny you say that because, the company in your signature offers unlimited disk and bandwidth.
    Lol, classic. Reminds me of another forum where someone creates a thread asking "how to make money" and in their signature they're selling a guide on making millions.
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    Lol, classic. Reminds me of another forum where someone creates a thread asking "how to make money" and in their signature they're selling a guide on making millions.
    I've seen this too and it just makes me laugh!

One I've seen is a thread titled something like "Help! I can't seem to make money with Adsense!!!!" and then in their signature, "Top 10 ways to make $$$ with Adsense".

HostMantis Affordable Web Hosting
    Shared Reseller VPS 24/7/365 Support Instant Activation
    CloudLinux CloudFlare Softaculous Premium Multi PHP cPanel
    Also offering Windows Hosting with Plesk 12 Multi PHP MSSQL ASP.NET

unlimited hosting is just a myth.Mostly hosting companies which offers unlimited package will suspend your account by saying its their fair useage policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoo View Post
    Lol. Good catch.

It does seem to pull them in.

The host that offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth know that most users don't even use much of that disk space or bandwidth.

And it's to be used for only files related to your website. So you can't just use it for storage. The files have to be for your website.

I guarantee you that if you try and upload 500 GB or more of files on an unlimited host you're likely to get suspended soon.

I've tried that once to see what would really happen.

I uploaded 500 GB of video files and pics and they suspended me.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

Quote Originally Posted by speedycrow chad View Post
    Lol. Good catch.

The host that offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth know that most users don't even use much of that disk space or bandwidth.

And it's to be used for only files related to your website. So you can't just use it for storage. The files have to be for your website.

I guarantee you that if you try and upload 500 GB or more of files on an unlimited host you're likely to get suspended soon.

I've tried that once to see what would really happen.

I uploaded 500 GB of video files and pics and they suspended me.

Chad

I knew someone who was able to pull off 400 GB of storage with HG. He loaded all the files over a period of time. Most likely can't get away with that now or uploading that amount at once.

400 GB of space used at HostGator? I call Shenanigans. Lol, I don't see HostGator letting anyone use anything over 50 GB of storage, but if he was able to do 400 GB of data good for him. They shouldn't offer unlimited data if they can't keep the promise.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!

I need to find an unlimited disk host because I want to backup my computer. I'm only using 3.2TB of space on my workstation. Or, does anyone know where I can find an unlimited disk?
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by MGCJerry View Post
    I need to find an unlimited disk host because I want to backup my computer. I'm only using 3.2TB of space on my workstation. Or, does anyone know where I can find an unlimited disk?
    hmmmmmm....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iffRO3m.jpg  
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Using hosting provider for making backup of computer is not a good idea. However I have one website in mind called surdoc.com they provide specialized backup plans like dropbox with ability to sync all data of your computer to their server they also provide unlimited package at reasonable price.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

hmmmmmm....
    Sarcastic.

digitallog, In all actuality, the last thing I would do is have a full backup offsite on someone else's server. I don't trust Skynet.. Err, "the cloud" or online backup services with my data. Not to mention how long a backup or restore would take over a 15mbit link.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Not only that, you can also use it to sell to your friends and they can use your space to backup their data too. Don't worry about running out of space since it is unlimited :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

OH lol yeah you cannot trust these cloud service providers with your confidential data.Best way is to buy a separate hark disk and make offline backup on it.Online backup is not secure.Also it will take ages to make backup of amount of data that you mentioned.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

This scam is very popular in the hosting industry. A lot of unsuspecting customers are caught in it.

Good thing is ... there are a few honest hosts out there. Most reside on this forum
    1. Mmmmm food...

Quote Originally Posted by speedycrow chad View Post
    Lol. Good catch.

+1 I ignore hosts that offer unlimited in their ads as there's no such thing. There's need to be better wording for those who don't cap what the customer puts on the servers.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmikat View Post
    There's need to be better wording for those who don't cap what the customer puts on the servers.
    Almost any variation I've seen still makes you laugh or question the statement;

Unlimited - we all know the arguments here

Never worry about - until it is time to worry

Do as you wish - until we imposed rules on you

No limits - see #1

Quote Originally Posted by NEQ3 - Sam View Post
    I'm pretty sure every unlimited are overloaded. As soon as you get one client, you're overloaded since you can't fill the quota of infinite.
    I have no sig to spam.

Must have been DP

too good to really. If disk is show as limited , but not steady ,it also scam

Well there is a trend in Indonesia where most hosting company offer limited diskspace but unlimited bandwith. But most of the time they called it unmetered bandwith.

And one question to web hosting provider who offer real resources, how do you compete, marketing wise, with these unlimited web hosting provider?

Thanks

I think it brings in the inexperienced and cheap people.