Show "server is busy" page at high CPU load average

Hello.
    I want to show a "server is busy, try again later" page when my web server CPU load average is high. How can I do that? I'm on CentOS 6.4 with Apache/WHM/Cpanel.

What software/script are you using on your websites? Some software has this built in. For example MyBB has an option called "maximum server load" which does what you're looking for.

I have WordPress. I am looking for a linux/apache/whm/cpanel method to do this.

You should be able to optimize both apache and mysql to get better server load average. What type of hardware are you running on? Have you looked through the cPanel doc's? That is usually your best ticket on where to find out the "tips and tricks"

The webserver is optimized. My webserver has spikes that break it. I just want to show a "server busy" page that can keep CPU usage under normal parameters.

What process is using all of your cpu?

PHP and mySQL

Are you wanting to just customize a 500 series error message that Apache naturally shows or do you want a mechanism to automatically trigger the splashscreen?

Well, when these spikes happen the website is unresponsive and the server breaks, I get high CPU usage, server remains without memory and it requires manual intervention. I just want to show a page when the cpu load is higher than x (or a similar mechanism).

PHP has a function that may work. They recommend the below code (from their site). You would need to tweak the output to display the HTML you would like to display:

<?php
    $load = sys_getloadavg();
    if ($load[0] > 80) {
    header('HTTP/1.1 503 Too busy, try again later');
    die('Server too busy. Please try again later.');
    }
    ?>

bestssdhost thank you very much!
    Is there a more "global" solution? It's a pain in the *** to implement this code in every client's website.

Is there an option for apache to limit the maximum of http requests/second that will accept?

Quote Originally Posted by cosminn777 View Post
    bestssdhost thank you very much!
    Is there a more "global" solution? It's a pain in the *** to implement this code in every client's website.
    Rather than using such custom solution, I suggest to use solutions like CloudLinux or 1H HIVE manage server resources. Ofcourse using them needs to add a few more $ ; but that will be a worth for shared hosting.

Code:
    Is there an option for apache to limit the maximum of http requests/second that will accept?
    Apache doesn't provide such an option; but you can set maximum number of connections it can handle. Also you can place some restrictions via mod_qos.