Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    By the way, we had a discussion with Liquidweb about a refugee offer to PowerVPS sufferers, and they were not interested.

Looking for other reliable providers - not cheap - reliable. Any thoughts?

Re: PowerVPS (Vitracore) down again

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    By the way, we had a discussion with Liquidweb about a refugee offer to PowerVPS sufferers, and they were not interested.

Looking for other reliable providers - not cheap - reliable. Any thoughts?
    How does a refugee offer*work?

Quote Originally Posted by hostus-ryan View Post
    How does a refugee offer*work?
    Basically, we get a group of us together to move to a new host. They get lots of new business and offer us all a serious discount off their normal rates.

Say a good 600GB VPS costs $3,600 a year, and we get a group of 10 or so to the new host, it's quick reliable money for the host.

We're up again. About an hour downtime this time. That's 5 hours 30 mins in 24-hours.

We're back again, that was nearly another hour lost today. Our uptime is at 98% this month which isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by andyforkgen View Post
    We're back again, that was nearly another hour lost today. Our uptime is at 98% this month which isn't good.
    Sorry I meant an hour again this evening. It's actually 5 hours 51 mins downtime for us this week.

Think it's about time to start shipping data away from PowerVPS .

Virtacore response

This is going to be hard for me to ask, and I am fully prepared for the deservedly harsh response but...I hope that you will reconsider, or at least give us another chance.

Why?

Because we are truly actively trying to change and improve all aspects of the all of the PowerVPS service. These changes started with my recent arrival, and as much as I know you are going to want to hold me accountable for the downtime and terrible (non-existent) communication over the past year, I cannot do anything but apologize on my predecessor's behalf and tell you that I can only move this business forward.

Let's start with today. Today's downtime was a result of a DDoS attack. Not just any DDoS attack, this one was special. I cannot go into details, but I can say that there were companies that specialize in DDoS mitigation that were severely challenged. This wasn't just us. I think that you can all understand that this is an inherent risk due to the nature of the VPS business and that we should have been able to mitigate this faster - you are correct. Those changes are in process but they are not overnight successes. It will take some time. I can tell you that our response to these types of attacks will be far more rapid than even in the past few weeks.

Communication. Lack of it. This will end too. We will be better about communicating via support, Twitter, and this forum. Again, moving forward.

Nobody understands the cost of downtime better than me. I understand that you will feel the need to do what you have to do to protect your businesses, but I can assure you that if you will give us a chance we will right the wrongs and improve the issues from the past year. If not, I wish you the best and understand.

Quote Originally Posted by vc293 View Post
    This is going to be hard for me to ask, and I am fully prepared for the deservedly harsh response but...I hope that you will reconsider, or at least give us another chance.
    Would you be so kind as to have the courtesy to tell us all who you are, who you work for and what your responsibilities include? Are you management who can make such promises and keep them?

You didn't even post your name for goodness sake!

Michael Soker
    APCINTERNET

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Would you be so kind as to have the courtesy to tell us all who you are, who you work for and what your responsibilities include? Are you management who can make such promises and keep them?

You didn't even post your name for goodness sake!

Michael Soker
    APCINTERNET

Bill Thompson, VP Operations/Engineering, Virtacore Systems. For goodness sake.

Quote Originally Posted by vc293 View Post
    Bill Thompson, VP Operations/Engineering, Virtacore Systems. For goodness sake.
    Thank you, Bill

Hello Bill, thanks for the reply. I think quick actions will really help here. The first one being on communication: you will have seen from responses to tickets that people are feeling very vulnerable due to the latest issues; in the old days any vulnerability was completely washed aside by your support team's blisteringly fast response to tickets. Now this just doesn't happen - we don't get a reply until way after the event, and sometimes these events have included outages of over a day. Completely unacceptable.

How busy can a first line support person be that you're not able to give them a stock response to a severity 1 issue and then have them reply to all tickets with the response, and post updates at hourly intervals. Even easier, a status page or a twitter feed that is updated hourly by a senior team member whenever there is a serious incident happening. It takes 5 minutes to set up, 30 secs to post a tweet from any device and once loyal customers such as the ones on this board hear about it, it will be the first port of call thus reducing ticket numbers for you. We have one at @GlobalizeMeUK which we update regularly.

Again we don't feel vulnerable if you keep us updated on a regular basis - tickets are even a bit old school these days and people expect different and constant forms of communication.

Bill, please act on this. I know that stability issues take longer to fix, especially those caused by external forces but internal and external communication issues can be fixed almost instantly. Please let us have a date and a feed URL for your status feed implementation by reply to this post.

Thanks, Andy.
    Last edited by andyforkgen; 11-16-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Hello Bill, thanks for the reply. I think quick actions will really help here. The first one being on communication: you will have seen from responses to tickets that people are feeling very vulnerable due to the latest issues; in the old days any vulnerability was completely washed aside by your support team's blisteringly fast response to tickets. Now this just doesn't happen - we don't get a reply until way after the event, and sometimes these events have included outages of over a day. Completely unacceptable.

How busy can a first line support person be that you're not able to give them a stock response to a severity 1 issue and then have them reply to all tickets with the response, and post updates at hourly intervals. Even easier, a status page or a twitter feed that is updated hourly by a senior team member whenever there is a serious incident happening. It takes 5 minutes to set up, 30 secs to post a tweet from any device and once loyal customers such as the ones on this board hear about it, it will be the first port of call thus reducing ticket numbers for you. We have one at @GlobalizeMeUK which we update regularly.

Again we don't feel vulnerable if you keep us updated on a regular basis - tickets are even a bit old school these days and people expect different and constant forms of communication.

Bill, please act on this. I know that stability issues take longer to fix, especially those caused by external forces but internal and external communication issues can be fixed almost instantly. Please let us have a date and a feed URL for your status feed implementation by reply to this post.

Thanks, Andy.
    Andy,

You are completely correct - being in the dark until after the issue is resolved is a very bad feeling. We are going to change this behavior, and yes, systems like Twitter and basic replies are easy to do and we will utilize them moving forward.

Again, we get it. We want to make this right, and we are trying. This will get better. I am not ready to give you the status "locations" right now but I will update this thread with the info once my team is prepared. Until then, we will post updates here manually and update direct communication as we are able to.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'm feeling confident that you're on the case. Look forward to hearing more. Have a good day.

Best wishes,

Andy.

Hi Guys,

I'm down again - certainly no notification of planned outage although this one does seem more localised. We were down from 0522 GMT (so over 90 mins ago). Call logged 80 mins ago and still no reply.

Will monitor here. Any help that you can offer, Bill, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.

Hi Guys,

I'm down again - certainly no notification of planned outage although this one does seem more localised. We were down from 0522 GMT (so over 90 mins ago). Call logged 80 mins ago and still no reply.

Will monitor here. Any help that you can offer, Bill, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.
    Andy - we do have a scheduled maintenance window right now, I am investigating why you were not notified. Your resources should be available shortly.

Okay phew. Thanks for letting us know here. We really had no idea. Again, a twitter feed or status page is really important if you don't send out maintenance notifications. Communication needs to be fixed ASAP ideally.

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi there,

My apologies, it seems my colleague did receive a ticket response but we definitely did not get a maintenance notification in advance. We are investigating this with support.

Thanks, Andy.

Hi there,

My apologies, it seems my colleague did receive a ticket response but we definitely did not get a maintenance notification in advance. We are investigating this with support.

Thanks, Andy.

Andy, my support team will be reaching out - he is seeing that you unsubscribed from the maintenance notifications in the system so we will need to get that straightened out.

As for Twitter, this was a very focused maintenance window only affecting a handful of customers (aren't you lucky) and so Twitter and other mass notifications tend to create more confusion than is warranted. We directed the notifications towards the affected parties only, instead of alarming thousands of customers for no reason. Hope you can understand.

Hi, agree re this not being appropriate for twitter. However could you let me know where we unsubscribed from maintenance messages (and if you know, when this happened plus how I re-subscribe again please?). It's pretty important that we do an internal investigation as to how this happened, when it happened, who did the unsubscribe and it would also be good to know how we widen the net so that more of us here are notified. I'll pursue with support too, I'm interacting with one of your team already.

Thanks, Andy.

Hi there,

VPS back up just before UK business hours (phew!) thanks. Dealing with one of your guys regarding the unsubscribe from the mailing list. Heads will roll here if one of my team unsubscribed, we are looking into this with the utmost urgency.

Best wishes,

Andy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12