Need a new provider here are my needs

I have over 30 php based websites running on a customized CMS using MySQL. Clients have access to their accounts through a control panel. Clients are in a business where up time is very very important. Although most do not pay enough to justify multiple servers across various data center with load balancers. Although I would like a solution versatile enough that will allow me to move to something more efficient like this along with MySQL enterprice for hot backups moving forward.

Currently I have a single server housed in a data centre with plesk, backup solution, IP tables for limited FTP access to the server.

I need to move to a new server because this one is getting old and so i can't upgrade my version of plesk because the newer one needs a newer version of php and so with a php upgrade many of these sites will break as the various add ons in place that are from a while ago will not be compatible. Therefore when we upgrade the php version and so many sites break I will have many angry clients on my hands. SO best thing to do is upgrade so I can get a more current php version, mysql version, control panel, etc. (it's been a while on this server so i do need to get up to speed regardless).

Here's what I want:

- Managed 24/7 support. So i can request server reboots at odd times of the night, request server logs, request mail queue get emptied, request qmail configuration, request mysql configurations, etc

- Right now I only have one server in a data center so would be nice to have at least one other form of redundancy but I don't know if there is a cost effective manner to achieve this as I pay about $500 a month right now and want to stay in and around there.

- Want a reputable hosting company with data centers

- North American based

- Properly staffed support team so no long wait times for support

I don't know if for my situation above if I should be sticking with a managed dedicated or going to something via the cloud.

Anyone have a hosting provider they feel would be a good fit for me based on the above?

Based on the level of management and general access requirements, I'd say the cloud probably isn't the best fit for you. A decent dedicated server with real 24/7 management is probably more along the lines of what sounds like it'd work best in this case. Most management packages won't cover development, but as long as you're able (or have someone available who's able) to work with the techs to get the problems ironed out after an upgrade/migration, that should work out just fine. I'd say that having multiple servers is probably not required if you have a proper RAID setup, but having off-site backups performed frequently can't hurt as well.

What are your current hardware specs/load averages? Any idea how much bandwidth you're currently using? Were you looking to stick with Plesk or were you hoping to have your sites migrated over to a different panel? (I ask because you said you wanted a more "current" control panel, so I'm unsure if that meant you just wanted a newer version or wanted something different). cPanel is by far the most popular, and Plesk is probably one of the least popular (not that that should influence your decision if you're happy with Plesk, but just food for thought).

Is Plesk a panel you want to keep on using or isn't that a requirement? As you have to work with 'newer' versions, it might be good to start from 'scratch' again so you are free to select a better hosting panel like Cpanel or Directadmin instead of Plesk?
    Furthermore I recommend going for a managed dedicated server, a cloud hosting option would not be suitable as it's still hosted in a 'shared' environment.

Did you also already inform with your current host to see if they can't you a new solution and help you migrating?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman99 View Post
    I need to move to a new server because this one is getting old and so i can't upgrade my version of plesk because the newer one needs a newer version of php and so with a php upgrade many of these sites will break as the various add ons in place that are from a while ago will not be compatible. Therefore when we upgrade the php version and so many sites break I will have many angry clients on my hands. SO best thing to do is upgrade so I can get a more current php version, mysql version, control panel, etc. (it's been a while on this server so i do need to get up to speed regardless).

This doesn't make much sense to me as changing the hardware will have no effect on the software. If you plan to put the newer version of php on the new system you will still have to update your software to fix depreciated features/variables that break with a newer version of php.

What issues are you facing right now? Does your websites go offline or you just want to upgrade hardware to improve speed? Which version of Plesk and PHP are you using?

not set on plesk. I'm open.

There's no way to upgrade the software and test all the sites without effecting the live sites. Therefore a secondary server is needed and since this server is very old it makes sense to update the hardware as well.

When you have one server then your sites go down when you restart the server. Having a secondary with some sort of load balancing will monitor usage levels and also maintain that uptime. I have downtime when ram is upgraded or hard drives are replaced out etc.

Anyone have a recommendation for hosting provider?

whats your budget for new survers?

Quote Originally Posted by reldegart View Post
    whats your budget for new survers?
    He mentioned it already in his first post which is $500.

For your redundant service requirements I would suggest that you get Could services.

Your budget is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman99 View Post
    not set on plesk. I'm open.

There's no way to upgrade the software and test all the sites without effecting the live sites. Therefore a secondary server is needed and since this server is very old it makes sense to update the hardware as well.

When you have one server then your sites go down when you restart the server. Having a secondary with some sort of load balancing will monitor usage levels and also maintain that uptime. I have downtime when ram is upgraded or hard drives are replaced out etc.

Anyone have a recommendation for hosting provider?
    I don't believe that you will find a quality hosting provider that will deliver two dedicated servers and the management services for $500/mo that will give you a good quality of management, server hardware, datacenter and network.

What I think you could do though is run something like VMware and use a single server with two (or more) virtual machines. So you can setup the first VM exactly as you have things now so that you know everything is working. You can then clone that VM to a new development VM and make your upgrades / modifications and see what breaks without impacting your production server.

Clearly you would want to make sure the server had enough capacity to run both virtual machines. You would also want to make sure to take off-server backups of both VM's in the event of a hardware failure or accidental configuration mistake.

On the other hand, you may be able to get an inexpensive unmanaged server to do your development work in (This just seems like more work to transfer things back/forth, etc)

how about if anyone can recommend to me a company that provides managed dedicated servers and does NOT collocate but actually has their own data center?

What location are you looking for?

north america