Local Advertising Techniques?

So I hear a lot of talk about local advertising on here, but not definition on really what gets clients. What do you guys think really works in terms of local advertising?
    Faust Internet Services - Shared Web Hosting Solutions
    -Relaxed and reliable web hosting services with an emphasis on freedom of expression
    -Small and effective support team with a small-host atmosphere

Feet to the pavement! Best way as far as I'm concerned. Walk right in and speak to the employees. Print a coupon to the back of a business card. Costs more for cards, but more of a chance of them being saved.
    █ █ █

Standing near a street corner yelling "Anyone need webhosting"!!!!

Hmm...seem to work in the 1920's with newspapers.

Going door-to-door isn't unheard of these days, we have done it, it works.

That's what I find works. Asking for referrals is also good. Generally makes people tell others rather than relying on them to just do it. Mass mail is a waste of money. Door hangers are very iffy too.
    █ █ █

I am currently living a college campus, do you think handing out flyers would work or would I just be wasting my time?
    -Relaxed and reliable web hosting services with an emphasis on freedom of expression

I'd imagine it wouldn't be any better than putting flyers on a bb at your school wall.
    █ █ █

I just haven't advertised that way at all, are those things effective?

Your local marketing will depend on few factors like,
    1) Location
    2) Your existing local competitors.
    3) Most effective medium way of advertising in your area.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Take a day, go to your downtown or busiest area of the city (small shops, boutique shops, etc), and walk to each business door to door selling your services.

You will be surprised how many either have no web presence or are looking for another option from their previous solution.....and if you take care of them, they will refer other businesses they know that need your services.

...and for those that say no, it will help you fine tune your selling skills

Good idea, I actually live within walking distance from the biggest city in the area.

Local advertising is the best way to advertise. You are able to lock in clients by speaking to them and gaining their trust. More payments are in on time and more bigger payments.

It's best if you already know web design and programming because then you are able to offer that local individual a all in one solution for example website and hosting. Then they pay you how ever you set your business usually for me it's a one lump shack for web design and then after that monthly or yearly payments for hosting it all depends on how you play your cards and run your business but this is a great way to start getting clients.

Doing it this way you have to make sure you satisfy your customers to the fullest so they can tell their people about your services.

Do what another member said before to make business cards an flyers with coupons on them. Have a number where they can reach you during the day to ask questions and make appointments. It is very good to talk face to face when marketing to someone than over a PC you can use key things and gain their trust that you will do the right thing by them.

I use this technic for everything. This is how I started my business and a computer repair business I have. It is a very good way to advertise make a PowerPoint presentation of your business / network and walk into business with a laptop what not and show them what you have under the hood and how your services can make them money or their life easier.

I've found local advertising to produce the best results. The Web Hosting industry is way to saturated as it is, and everyone's advertising online. People like to be able to speak with you face to face, and ask questions.

Do you have local business communities or networking events where you live/operate as a business?

Could be beneficial to help get your name out there with other business owners and generate some leads for you.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

In addition to everything else I said:

- has anyone started a gathering for local business owners? If not, do it. Once every two weeks have a time for local business owners to get together for a breakfast or lunch. Everyone can say what they do+who they are at the start. Eat, talk and exchange business cards. One person does a presentation on their business per meeting. I actually just started attending one
    - chamber of commerce? Join it
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    In addition to everything else I said:

- has anyone started a gathering for local business owners? If not, do it. Once every two weeks have a time for local business owners to get together for a breakfast or lunch. Everyone can say what they do+who they are at the start. Eat, talk and exchange business cards. One person does a presentation on their business per meeting. I actually just started attending one
    - chamber of commerce? Join it
    I'll have to disagree. I did this type of networking for a while, and what did I find? People don't share effective marketing strategies in fear of growing competition. Instead, everyone just networks to network, and loses track of their goal of honing strategy.

If you want real value and insight, join a meetup, and a small one at that. This is a higher trust environment and less competitive. Anything paid is going to end up with ulterior motives.

In regard to local advertising, and web hosting, there is a little bit of a dilemma. You aren't really a "local" business, so Google maps listings and the likes of those, aren't going to be very effective. The best way to reach people for your line of business is through viral media like social networks, SEO, and PPC. Locally, maybe outdoor advertising?
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
    I'll have to disagree. I did this type of networking for a while, and what did I find? People don't share effective marketing strategies in fear of growing competition. Instead, everyone just networks to network, and loses track of their goal of honing strategy.

If you want real value and insight, join a meetup, and a small one at that. This is a higher trust environment and less competitive. Anything paid is going to end up with ulterior motives.

In regard to local advertising, and web hosting, there is a little bit of a dilemma. You aren't really a "local" business, so Google maps listings and the likes of those, aren't going to be very effective. The best way to reach people for your line of business is through viral media like social networks, SEO, and PPC. Locally, maybe outdoor advertising?
    Your area maybe? Everyone is different. Was this a business owner gathering or a COM?

My gathering I'm in only allows 1 rep per business type. So two web hosts would not be allowed in.
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Standing near a street corner yelling "Anyone need webhosting"!!!!

Hmm...seem to work in the 1920's with newspapers.
    That actually might be a great guerrilla marketing tactic. It would be so odd that people would remember it. The message could be something like what worked so well once before no longer works and that's why you need to get your business online!

Take video and pictures of the event and create a campaign online with it.

Quote Originally Posted by painperdu View Post
    That actually might be a great guerrilla marketing tactic. It would be so odd that people would remember it. The message could be something like what worked so well once before no longer works and that's why you need to get your business online!

Take video and pictures of the event and create a campaign online with it.

In my previous business, just before youtube and the social world boom, guerrilla marketing WAS the way to promote. There's still parts of the city where our "ads" are still in place.

One marketing I seen that was effective...an orange juice company had reps in the subway giving out boxes of orange to every single person for a full day. I could only imagine the thousands of boxes they gave out that day. A box of juice lasts a few days, so there's a good chance they will buy more at the end of the week.

If you have the necessary ways to do it, think about a video clip, but one with style which can go even viral. Spread it between your online connections(I am sure there are many) or any other possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZonerHostDDoS View Post
    If you have the necessary ways to do it, think about a video clip, but one with style which can go even viral. Spread it between your online connections(I am sure there are many) or any other possible way.
    It's difficult to make a video that can gain a lot of views in a short amount of time, "viral" videos just happens randomly at the least expectation - Uniqueness.