How to file a case against a web hosting company?

Hello Folks,

I was just thinking about these web hosting industry, and a questioned came to my mind.

What if a web hosting company fail to refund the amount. Say like there are companies like ipage, fatcow, bluehost, hostgator etc etc and almost all of them offer 30 to 45 days money bank guarantee without asking any questions.

And as a customer our billing would not be more than 50$ to 100$. But if in case any of the following company fails to refund the amount even after soo many requests then as an Indian resident what should I do and where should I file a case.

As most of the webhosting companies are out of India and I will not be able to go their respective country and file a case against them just for 50$ or 100$

And more over I will not be able to spend again money for filinf case.

I hope, most of them would think this, but I am asking this from some of the experts who can clarify the doubts.

Re: How to file a case against a web hosting company?

There's nothing you can do, unless you pay with your credit card. You could do a chargeback.

Why did they not refund you? Usually host will refund you under their guarantee unless you violated certain clauses in their TOS.

What payment processor did you use to pay them?

Your best bet would be to do a credit card, or even PayPal charge back.

However PayPal don't offer buyer protection for virtual goods, so maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    Why did they not refund you? Usually host will refund you under their guarantee unless you violated certain clauses in their TOS.
    ha ha ha not like that, and it is not my problem one of my friends problem. And the payment was made using a virtual card.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkforguru View Post
    Hello Folks,

I was just thinking about these web hosting industry, and a questioned came to my mind.

What if a web hosting company fail to refund the amount. Say like there are companies like ipage, fatcow, bluehost, hostgator etc etc and almost all of them offer 30 to 45 days money bank guarantee without asking any questions.

And as a customer our billing would not be more than 50$ to 100$. But if in case any of the following company fails to refund the amount even after soo many requests then as an Indian resident what should I do and where should I file a case.

As most of the webhosting companies are out of India and I will not be able to go their respective country and file a case against them just for 50$ or 100$

And more over I will not be able to spend again money for filinf case.

I hope, most of them would think this, but I am asking this from some of the experts who can clarify the doubts.
    Most companies would do the right thing, especially if they value customer opinion which in turn would be their reputation in the end. Most companies should comply with their 30 day money back guarantee because if they are genuine then they would not want to see their reputation go down.

I'd email their accounts or billing dept with the complaint.

Usually with paypal and credit or debit cards the buyer is able to file a charge back. There's no actual web site or organization where you can go and report them it isn't that easy you have to take up for your lost and better luck next time. This is also a very important thing why when choosing a host you should always look deep into them and make sure that they are reliable and are able to provide you with the services you wantzz

As all suggested we can only chargeback with paypal and credit cards.
    But you should know that while doing chargeback you must provide a proof so Paypal can decide on your favor. Also as i think it's best to go for monthly based contract then paying for Yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    Usually with paypal and credit or debit cards the buyer is able to file a charge back. There's no actual web site or organization where you can go and report them it isn't that easy you have to take up for your lost and better luck next time. This is also a very important thing why when choosing a host you should always look deep into them and make sure that they are reliable and are able to provide you with the services you wantzz
    I agree, if it is a remotely intense high demand web site then a dedicated server is your option.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    Usually host will refund you under their guarantee unless you violated certain clauses in their TOS.
    Key word...usually.

There are some hosts........refunds, chargebacks, negative reviews, and violating their own TOS is usual business.

Pay monthly.

If things do fall apart, in some cases it's better to accept the lose of $$$ and move on....of course leaving a negative after you found something better.

I would honestly pay monthly for hosting, because then if you leave in the middle you don't have to worry about loss of money. I know a lot of websites offer anytime guarantee, but do not hold it up by something so simple as saying you violated their TOS. Now more than not would refund you as that is the ethical thing to do.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!