site5 and Softaculous

Like many others here, I'm in search of a new host. One that I looked at was site5. I ended up starting a free trial with them, impressed by the responsiveness of their support people and the fact that I could test-drive for a month. One thing I was wary of was that they have their own Site Admin control panel rather than direct access to cPanel, but they met my other needs so I figured I'd give it a try.

One of the things I specifically asked about before opening the account (hostPro) was Softaculous. Re-reading the web page (the forum won't let me make that text a link because this is my first post) on the package, I see that its support is not explicitly spelled out:

"Using the power of the Softaculous script package, Site5 is able to offer you a number of popular third-party scripts that you can install with a single click."

The reply I got to my email query that contained my requirements said, "Yes, we offer softaculous for easy installation of wordpress and many other site scripts." Well, that ends up not being so true.

I'm now told that with the hostPro package that I have to use Site Admin and its installer, Web Apps. I'd have to get a VPS or Reseller plan in order to get direct cPanel access, which would get me to Softaculous.

I don't mean for this to start a debate over the merits of either of these installers. I'm posting to let others know beforehand that if they are looking for Softaculous as part of their host package that they should inquire about the specific package when looking into site5.

As for me, I'm glad for both the 30-day trial and the responsiveness of the support people at site5. Unfortunately for them, I'm looking into my second and third choices now.

A #win for 30-day trial Most shared hosting providers give you direct access to cPanel. Good luck with searching for new host.
    × Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by jjkraw View Post
    "Using the power of the Softaculous script package, Site5 is able to offer you a number of popular third-party scripts that you can install with a single click."

The reply I got to my email query that contained my requirements said, "Yes, we offer softaculous for easy installation of wordpress and many other site scripts." Well, that ends up not being so true.

I'm now told that with the hostPro package that I have to use Site Admin and its installer, Web Apps. I'd have to get a VPS or Reseller plan in order to get direct cPanel access, which would get me to Softaculous.
    Hello! Just wanted to clarify here since there seems to be a little misinformation.

1. SiteAdmin is our custom layer/theme on top of cPanel. It feels similar to x3 but allows us to add other features as desired.
    2. Web Apps within SiteAdmin is Softaculous. We've simply streamlined the interface to match SiteAdmin's theme.

Could you let me know a ticket ID so that I can review and have our team provide clearer answers in the future?

When I first tried site5 I wasn't too impressed with the layout either. After about 5 minutes though I was completely used to it and actually liked it. Give it a bit. I'm sure you'll come around. It's basically the same as cPanel - just with a different look. They offer great uptime, support and speed. Might as well stick with it.
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by tws View Post
    Could you let me know a ticket ID so that I can review and have our team provide clearer answers in the future?
    RJBM-89895

I appreciate the outreach.

Thanks! Our VP of Customer Service is going to reach out to you directly.

Tom is correct and the opener is wrong (sorry). Site5 do allow direct access to cpanel and Web Apps. They just have a custom theme for cpanel that matches the layout of their site. To say that Site5 doesn't have cpanel, is like saying that a Wordpress blog isn't Worpress because it's not using the 20-13 theme.

This isn't the first time I heard this complaint. I sent feedback to Site5 to look into their poor site design since it scares away many customers from signing up to a good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Burlo View Post
    Tom is correct and the opener is wrong (sorry). Site5 do allow direct access to cpanel and Web Apps. They just have a custom theme for cpanel that matches the layout of their site. To say that Site5 doesn't have cpanel, is like saying that a Wordpress blog isn't Worpress because it's not using the 20-13 theme.

This isn't the first time I heard this complaint. I sent feedback to Site5 to look into their poor site design since it scares away many customers from signing up to a good service.
    But it is more than just appearances. Web Apps is missing some Softaculous features and as it was explained to me, site5's development team has to do work to integrate those features into Web Apps. So as features are added, there is an additional piece of work site5 has to do to expose those features to their customers.

Well there are hosts who provide softaculous via cPanel on shared hosting plans. Just browse through them.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

Yes I just think it's not easy for people to recognize the cPanel, I wouldn't of known if I hadn't been around here for a while to find out them and others custom their theme. As for recommendations OP I recommend FreshRoastHosting & CrocWeb. I use FRH for a VPS and CrocWeb I used for personal hosting before.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Site5 has done a fantastic job with their custom cPanel theme and their Web Apps contains everything you would need. Softaculous is great but it contains a lot of obsolete and unpopular software. Also encourages laziness in upgrading and insecurity, but that's a topic for another thread.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

I love Site5, but they haven't done a fantastic job with that theme. People hate it, and they are losing customers thanks to it. The main reason for doing great Web site design is to get more customers, not to please yourself with it. If something is scaring away people, it should be removed.

A quick followup - I'm still continuing my test drive w/ site5. Why? Very quick and helpful support responses. While I got something different from what I thought I was getting, I'm comfortable that they will make sure I'm able to get done what I need to get done with my sites.

Good customer service tends to sway me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Burlo View Post
    I love Site5, but they haven't done a fantastic job with that theme. People hate it, and they are losing customers thanks to it. The main reason for doing great Web site design is to get more customers, not to please yourself with it. If something is scaring away people, it should be removed.
    Interesting, can you tell me why you think that is the case? As all the metrics we watch point the other way, as does customer feedback we have received.

Can you help me understand what we are missing and what you would recommend we look at from the metric side to quantify that?

Thanks, Ben
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Glad to hear it worked out. Site5 is a solid company.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability