Web servers 101?

Hi all.

So I got myself a VPS with cPanel. Should I install a web server side app like Litespeed or cloudlinux to make the server even more faster / optimized?

I was thinking about a free solution like ngix.

Any recommendations to what should I install also a tutorial with it? Free ware is better for me as I'm just looking to test what not.

Litespeed is the webserver, Cloudlinux is an operating system. cPanel comes with Apache installed by default. If you're looking at a more efficient server and a cost effective solution, then yes, you should try nginx. There's at least 2 plugins for cPanel out there that can assist in automating the nginx installation. One of them is free, the other paid. I think they're:
    http://nginxcp.com/
    http://cpnginx.com/

Yeah, the irony in their names
    *StrongNode.net - Affordable Managed VPS Servers*
    *LOTS OF RAM IS WHAT WE DO*

Thanks a log for your reply much appreciated. I will look at the links you posted for me and see where I go from there. Once again thanks mate.

I agree with lifetalk. If you're looking for a more efficient server, while keeping your overhead costs down, nginx would help with that. Good luck!
    || Webhostpython - Introducing Venom Power! Shared, Reseller, and VPS plans
    || Pure SSD | Litespeed | LS-Cache | cPanel | SSLs | DDOS Protection | Blazing Fast
    || A 100% independent and debt free company with 24/7 - 365 in-house support

Until you expect more traffic or load on the server, nginx is not necessary to run your VPS fine. Nginx is faster to serve static contents and it will give you a performance benefit with moderate + high traffic servers. But with the suggested plguins, it will give you an an additional layer of administration effort with no gain if your VPS is low traffic one. Also there is one more plugin offering Nginx ( direct server or reverse proxy )+ PHPFPM on cPanel servers, which is cpxstack.