Need webhosting advice

Hello, basically I started a site around 2 months ago (first and only) but within a couple of weeks it got suspended by hostgator for being too cpu intensive. I was only getting around 700 views a day so I thought shared would be enough (which it is, bit not on the cpu side of things). However now I would like to restart the site, without removing the shoutbox which was the main feature of the site!

I don't really want to spend more than around £5-£7 as I still very young and don't quite have the money to pay much more!

What is the best option for me?

Cheers

HostGator are very trigger happy these days when it comes to suspensions. There's many other providers that would most definitely cater for your needs with no problem.

I suggest browsing the Shared Hosting offers section and contacting various providers to see if they're suitable for your needs.

You can go with any shared host with that many views. Even you can get a VPS with out a control panel and run your site. You'll need to know Linux file system and commands but other than this shared hosting would be your best solution here right now . You should check the web hosting offers forum here on WHT look for a host that is privately owned and who has a good network.

You can drop main things like cPanel and go with a host who has a different control panel like direct admin what not doing this will give you more resource because the control panel cost less.

Moved > Web Hosting.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

What type of site are you running so we can get a better idea?

You may want to consider optimizing your scripts so it doesn't consume as much CPU resources. 700 visits a day is definitely manageable on Shared Hosting, but it really depends how optimized your codes are. If you are using a Content Management System (CMS), I am sure there are plenty of guides available to help you with the optimization process - some providers may even do this for you.
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | R1Soft CDP | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Lansing, Orlando, Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, London, New Delhi and Hong Kong

Lightbulb Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by adam147 View Post
    Hello, basically I started a site around 2 months ago (first and only) but within a couple of weeks it got suspended by hostgator for being too cpu intensive. I was only getting around 700 views a day so I thought shared would be enough (which it is, bit not on the cpu side of things). However now I would like to restart the site, without removing the shoutbox which was the main feature of the site!

I don't really want to spend more than around £5-£7 as I still very young and don't quite have the money to pay much more!

What is the best option for me?

Cheers
    Well your budget is descent enough for shared hosting. If it is cpu intensive then why not consider buying starter vps, this will cost you the same. I mean within your budget. Less fear of suspension and better dedicated resources. A starter vps would cost you around to £6-£7/month as of today's rate of currency.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

Do you have data that HG might have given you which says the exact amount of resources you were using?
    Kushal || Host4Geeks LLC || Own Network - Hardware - IP Ranges - cPanel & WHMCS Authorized Partners.
    Managed VPS - cPanel - Softaculous - Monitoring - DDoS Protection - Fully Managed - East Coast - West Coast - London
    Reseller Hosting - WHMCS || CloudLinux || SSL || SSD || Daily Backups || LiteSpeed || US / UK || DDoS Protection
    Announcing our Indian Expansion - #LevelUP Your Web Hosting Experience - Subscribe now for Early Access & Discounts!

Quote Originally Posted by adam147 View Post
    the shoutbox which was the main feature of the site!
    That may well be what's causing the problem, however.

Someone above said you can get an entry-level VPS for your budget. It's true that you can, but it would come totally unmanaged - so you'd have to be comfortable setting everything up without a control panel, securing it, and managing it.

However, the shoutbox may be what's pushing your resources up, and that may take you beyond any shared hosting.

As above, if you had some idea of what resources you are using, that would help.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Please share the type of website you run.
    Before transferring to new host, please consider optimizing your website like:

1) Use cache
    2) Use CloudFlare free service.
    etc.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

I think first you need to make sure you have optimized everything in your account and if those issues are still happening I think you might end up running into that in any shared provider. I think you should then look at possibly getting a small vps server and see if that does the trick.
    Fully customized hosting to your specific needs, no general plans found here!
    'Read before you click I agree' - J

Did hostgator gave you any options of maybe upgrading your account as well?
    Last edited by jshtoch; 11-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Fully customized hosting to your specific needs, no general plans found here!
    'Read before you click I agree' - J

It sounds like a forum you are running, is it VBulletin / Xenforo? How much CPU was you limited? I recommend FreshRoastedHosting and CrocWeb.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

If you have CMS website and have high traffic then it is difficult that this site can be run on shared because on every visitor SQL connection generate and obviously take resource and shared hosting provides limited SQL connections.

Try small VPS with memcache and CDN.

Re: Need webhosting advice

It seems as if any thing above static pages is getting suspended by Host gator these days.

One of the accounts was a small SMF forum. 10 posts a day was a busy day. They said it brought the server to it's knees when a few MSN bots hit it at the same time.
    Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

Hello
    You can go for a VPS as it was mentioned before you can find a vps for as low as 15 dollars
    Good luck
    ScarabWeb | Quality Hosting Solutions | Tier IV Datacenter (IRS1075/PCI/SAS70/HIPAA/SOC1/SSAE16/SOC2)
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated | Cloud Servers | Private Cloud | Enterprise SAN & DR | 8 Carrier Premium BW

Siteground may be a good option for your needs. Make sure that you optimize everything (images, cache etc.) Be careful not to overuse W3 Total Cache. Turning on some of its options can make things worse on shared hosting.

In my experience using Cloudflare with a good host can make things worse too rather than better. So far I (and one other person) seem to be the only people on planet Earth who noticed this though...

It is better not to go for hosts that expect you to prepay for overages, since it is very hard to forsee when your site will exceed its bandwidth and by how much.

Try Hostdime. I have a reseller account with them and I am very happy so far.
    Some sites in my reseller account are Wordpress sites, which get enough traffic (more than a 1000 visitors per day), and I had zero problems with server load.

I've used namecheap.com for over a year now without issues.

Since you need a hosting which can caters more traffic, you may wan to try VPS.

Many hosts these days will cater for your needs, the big ones like hostgator etc have so many clients they monitor everything to ensure what they call fairness of resources.

Likelyhood is your shoutbox caused the issue if you do a good search on here you will find a host willing to help you get the most of your account and this is not a slate of hostgator but dare i say willing to help you with advice.

If you plan to get a VPS configure it with Nginx web server instead of Apache if you need to save some RAM

The amount of traffic you get or bandwidth you use has nothing to do with memory usages. Even 100 hits a day can hit the memory limit while 100K hits on a HTML website is fine.

Try to optimize your website, else you will face this problem with all hosts. Optimize it so that mySQL has not be pinged a couple of times on every page load.

Try a more less known web hosting provider and they will cater for your needs.

Host Gator are big but as you see they will suspend you for any little thing

Post Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Burlo View Post
    Siteground may be a good option for your needs. Make sure that you optimize everything (images, cache etc.) Be careful not to overuse W3 Total Cache. Turning on some of its options can make things worse on shared hosting.

In my experience using Cloudflare with a good host can make things worse too rather than better. So far I (and one other person) seem to be the only people on planet Earth who noticed this though...
    What kind of issues did you have?
    CloudFlare Community Evangelist

I used hostgator in the past however they are not the best anymore. As others have said ppossibly getting a vps or a better shared provider would be the best thing to do.

Yeah i was thinking vps would be my main option, however i was a bit concerned as my mate who helps me massively on the technical side of things, only knows minimal stuff about how to set up vps' etc. HG said that i was using 26% of cpu on the server so it was interfering with the other people i was sharing with.

I really do not want to get rid of the shout box, as this is the main attraction of the site (gaming niche for anyone that is wondering), and like i said previously many others site i've seen with similar features, use similar shared hosters, however i think vps is the best option if my site were to grow.

I'm only 15, so please speak in lehmann's terms!