Thread: Bitcoin

Bitcoin

Service Providers

Would you consider payment in the cryptocurrency Bitcoin, and as a hosting provider what is your general stance on hosting websites in the Bitcoin eco-sphere.
    Since Bitcoin is much like the wild west of the industry, bitcoin and other cryptocurrency related businesses and websites are targets of DDOS and Hacking.
    Trying to get a general feel for what hosts have the balls to host a client in such an industry, where DDOS and Hacking of competitors is the stat quo.

Thanks

Use the search function for Bitcoin.

There are some hosting companies that accepting Bitcoin. and I think it has a very bright future. and will be a major competitors with big players like PayPal in future.
    Cloudzy
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Bitcoin VPS | Forex VPS
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, PerfectMoney, CryotoCurrency and Bitcoin
    In business for more than 14 years - Since 2008

I think a lot of people will agree that bitcoin's future is relatively uncertain, and it's really quite volatile in comparison to traditional currency right now. It definitely is a target, and will attract a certain type of clientele as well.

That said, it's a very neat concept that shouldn't be ruled out. A lot of the larger providers will steer clear of it just due to the inherent risks involved.
    GorillaServers Inc. Powerful Bare Metal Servers
    Instant and Custom Deploy 1Gbps/10Gbps Servers in Los Angeles & Ogden Utah
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaServers View Post
    I think a lot of people will agree that bitcoin's future is relatively uncertain, and it's really quite volatile in comparison to traditional currency right now. It definitely is a target, and will attract a certain type of clientele as well.

That said, it's a very neat concept that shouldn't be ruled out. A lot of the larger providers will steer clear of it just due to the inherent risks involved.
    I believe the lack of wide adoption is mainly an education issue. As larger companies become better versed in Bitcoin it will become more popular. PayPal had much the same issue in the early years.

Personally, I feel that Bitcoin is not a matured enough form of payment for most dedicated hosting companies.

I'm not honestly sure what the possibilities are for fraud using bitcoin, but due to the implied anonymous nature of it, the potential for using it to pay to host illegal content and simply disappear is quite high.

Recurring payments could also be a huge issue for many providers, if they were to start widely accepting bitcoin as a potential form of payment.

I've always seen Bitcoin's ideal transactions to be for buying one-time goods or services, rather than being used for an ongoing monthly service.

Currency fluctuations would also make it trickier. Recently I tested out buying some bitcoin and it took 7 days before I actually received the 'mined' bitcoin I had paid for. I do not know if converting it back to 'real' money takes as long, but if it does I cannot see providers willing going that route.

/2cents (or 0.00005003 BTC)

Quote Originally Posted by Hannan View Post
    There are some hosting companies that accepting Bitcoin
    i am well aware of this. the problem is these "companies" comprise of two bit hacks who mark 50 dollar servers up to 600 a month and call it top of the line.

I'm looking for real host who is willing to give me small grace periods/discounts while i get my business off of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by r3wt View Post
    i am well aware of this. the problem is these "companies" comprise of two bit hacks who mark 50 dollar servers up to 600 a month and call it top of the line.

I'm looking for real host who is willing to give me small grace periods/discounts while i get my business off of the ground.
    namecheap.com is one of the biggest web hosting providers in the world and they accept btc

Yeah, I was one of the first hosts to start accepting Bitcoin over 2 years ago (before it was trendy). It's been really good for us. The only issue being that we do get more spammers and bad eggs trying to pay with bitcoins and then abuse the server, so we've had to tighten up internal audit policies for abuse.
    @Ryan - Bitcoin is worth over $400 USD today when will it be mature enough? when it is worth $10000 a bitcoin. You just peg your prices to USD and do the conversion in real time and then batch out to USD at the daily market high. Retrospectively though, if I had held onto the roughly 30k in bitcoin payment I got in the first year I accepted it (when it was $2) it would be somewhere around 6m today. A fact that I kick myself over quite often.
    Last edited by BitronicTech-Bryan; 11-13-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Bitronictech View Post
    Yeah, I was one of the first hosts to start accepting Bitcoin over 2 years ago (before it was trendy). It's been really good for us. The only issue being that we do get more spammers and bad eggs trying to pay with bitcoins and then abuse the server, so we've had to tighten up internal audit policies for abuse.
    if this is the case, you probably know me from the scene. may i ask what host you run? are you with Gigatux or Black Lotus?

No, Bitronic Technologies. I'm over on BitcoinTalk although not so much recently.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Bitronictech View Post
    No, Bitronic Technologies. I'm over on BitcoinTalk although not so much recently.
    that website is slick. makes me wanna

Code:
    //initialize the l33t
    /*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*/

/*---\        ,**_    _*_      _*_   <___**___>
     *    /           \\   |        |        []
     *.---        <---//   |   [+]  |        {}
     *   \             \\  |    |   |        ||
     *    \            ||  \ \//\\/ /        {}
     ***   **\   /\___//    \_/  \_/        _[]_

/*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*/
    seriously, when time comes to upgrade to a serious service(or whenever i can afford it), bitronic will definitely be in the running).

Well thanks man. I put a good 350 hours into making that design. Nice to hear that somebody likes it!

Bitcoin needs more adaption and acceptance in a wider range to actually get to its potential.

It has yet to go a long way.
    More than decade with webhosting!

It seems there isnt a weekday without a php based bitcoin exchange getting hacked and wiped out. If one of big three get hit again you may find getting out (back into usd/eur/gbp) difficult as the market gaps considerably (although this week's top bitcoin disasters inputs.io, and bitcash havent had a massive effect). Im in once I see an exchange built by accountable professionals...
    MattF - Since the start..

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    an exchange built by accountable professionals...

its funny you should mention it...

its funny you should mention it...
    There is one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    I'm not honestly sure what the possibilities are for fraud using bitcoin, but due to the implied anonymous nature of it, the potential for using it to pay to host illegal content and simply disappear is quite high.
    The main difference between Bitcoins and PayPal/credit cards is what when someone is done abusing your service for their spamming/phishing activities, they won't be able to simply file an "unauthorized charge" report to get their money back. Bitcoin transfers are strictly irreversible*, so as long as you wait for enough confirmations, you can be sure that you have your money.

* there are theoretical attacks with forking the blockchain from a point prior to the transaction, but the computation power required is so vast as to be unfeasible, especially for your average fraudster.

let's just say its a project, where no stone has been left unturned. and just fyi, i know the guy who ran inputs.io and he is a real weasel. the site was not "hacked", not even in the most liberal sense of the word(eg. facebook status: hacked by your friend!). the person who operated the exchange was highly skilled in php and most other languages. i did pen testing on many of his sites, and all along i was suspect of his motives. all along their had been frequent warnings from prominent users that he was a shady charachter.

quite frankly, his explanation that his email account was hacked and used to gain access to the server is complete bullcrap. since when do you not change the root password as soon as your hosting provider has setup your server, and i don't understand why any person in their right mind would allow jsonrpc access to their bitcoin wallet from inside the administration area of the site.

the more you look at this alleged attack, the more it simply doesn't add up.

one explanation that would have made logical sense, is that he was negligent in forcing the bitcoin wallet to use openssl with the
    Code:
    -rpcssl
    and
    Code:
    -rpcsslcipher
    , and instead was sending unencrypted json via localhost, which allowed the wallet to be compromised. this is atleast plausible, but i'm afraid that this is simply not the case.

this was an inside job.

let's just say its a project, where no stone has been left unturned. and just fyi, i know the guy who ran inputs.io and he is a real weasel. the site was not "hacked", not even in the most liberal sense of the word(eg. facebook status: hacked by your friend!). the person who operated the exchange was highly skilled in php and most other languages. i did pen testing on many of his sites, and all along i was suspect of his motives. all along their had been frequent warnings from prominent users that he was a shady charachter.

quite frankly, his explanation that his email account was hacked and used to gain access to the server is complete bullcrap. since when do you not change the root password as soon as your hosting provider has setup your server, and i don't understand why any person in their right mind would allow jsonrpc access to their bitcoin wallet from inside the administration area of the site.

the more you look at this alleged attack, the more it simply doesn't add up.

one explanation that would have made logical sense, is that he was negligent in forcing the bitcoin wallet to use openssl with the
    Code:
    -rpcssl
    and
    Code:
    -rpcsslcipher
    , and instead was sending unencrypted json via localhost, which allowed the wallet to be compromised. this is atleast plausible, but i'm afraid that this is simply not the case every other day.

this was an inside job.
    You know much more than me on this, but either way it doesn't do any good for the industry when a bitcoin exchange being hacked or an inside job is trending on hackernews (a developer site - hacking in terms of software not the malice definitions) and reddit.