Dedicated server for video sharing and live streaming

Hello guys,

I would like to ask you about your help. Look, my friend are looking good dedicated server for video sharing, something like YouTube and other tubes.

Now he is thinking about below dedicated server for it:

Processor
    Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230
    RAM
    8GB DDR3
    Disk
    4x1TB SATA2
    Traffic
    100Mbps Unmetered (Volume network)

Would be a good choice, if he suppose to get something around 3000-4000 unique visitors per month at start and if everything will go fine then will be increasing. I would be grateful for your help guys.

Moreover, my friend would like to use a dedicated server to LIVE streaming also, the RTMP protocol. What should he do ? He thinking about buying separate dedicated server for the live streaming, but which one will be enough ?

He assume that, there will be something around 20-30 performers who will be giving shows and 1500-3500 visitors who will be watching them in month. Can you recommend a server for that?

Keep in mind that he care about the optimization of the costs because it's a new project.

He can spend on it something around $110-160 per month. Should he buy two separate servers or one but better one? Both video sharing, as well as the live streaming are referring to the same website.
      0 Not allowed!

My recommendation would be to get higher RAM as video conversions do eat a lot of RAM.

Will there be any type of conversions taking place?
    Serverlogix.com - ★★ Managed VPS / Budget Servers / Colocation ★★
    Facilities : Atlanta, Buffalo and Las Vegas
    Web : http://www.serverlogix.comContact Us
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like above server from leaseweb correct..?
    They do not offer hardware raid on E3, you gona need it
    PraHost - 7th Year of Excellence with Stability
    100Mbit, 100Tb & 1Gbps Unmetered Dedicated Servers In NL, DE @ Leaseweb
    Pay via
    Paypal, Skrill, Payza, Webmoney, PerfectMoney and BitCoins
      0 Not allowed!

When it comes to video sharing, IO is important so I would look for hardware raid with BBU.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001
      0 Not allowed!

John,

I'm going to give you some quick advice on streaming. We've worked with many different streaming companies and here are some of the gotcha's to look out for here.

First, VideoStreaming is hard especially mixed load of Live/VOD to plan for.

For LiveStreaming CPU/RAM is most important as it will be doing transcoding and conversion of the inbound streams to the outbound streams in variable bitrates eg HLS/RTP etc. Disk I/O is not really a concern for LiveStreaming. However, your big problem on LiveStreaming is bandwidth utilization as if you want 1000 simultanous users you need anywhere from 500Mbps to 1Gbps depending on the stream quality your presenting.

For VOD content your big thing is less CPU (while still important less so) and more Disk I/O and RAM. VOD is a unique animal as it doesn't have necessarily the same traffic requirements as live but you can run into a similiar problem if a video your serving goes viral. Hence you want a large pipe available to handle load.

Dedicated Servers on 100TB transfer agreements are your best bet for streaming sites as they are charging by monthly transfer on 1Gbps ports generally 100TB is about 333 Mbps on continuous 24/7 usage or 1Gbps bursts with smaller 100Mbps normalized volume. This way you can burst up for peak and stay down low during the non busy times within the same billing method with no true effect on your costs since it's by transfer.

If your on 100Mbps unmetered your maximum available bandwidth is theoretically 100Mbps which on 512kbps streams in a perfect world would be 200ish estimated simultaneous viewers.

For him, I would suggest you try to find a box that better fits both scenarios.

32GB RAM
    4 x 1TB HW RAID 10 (High I/O)
    or
    2+ SSD Drives in RAID 1, 10, or 5 (This will give you the snappiest seek times and highest I/O but less total storage)
    2 x QC

From previous experience on Wowza instances in this configuration will saturate a 1Gbps pipe with either RAID 10 spinning disk or SSD.
    PCLHS | SAS70 Datacenters in New Jersey/Texas
    100TB Dedicated Servers 1U - Full Cab Colocation Complex Hosting Horizontally Scalable Hosting DR/HA Hosting Public and Private Clouds Web Farms Innovative, Reliable, and Responsive
    Contact Us E: mark [at] pclhs.net | W: www.pclhs.net
      1 Not allowed!

Thank you for a lot of helpful information. Maybe the reasonable for him will be wait with live streaming on the begining and focus on the development of no live streaming, I mean by that video sharing. Well, Could you also tell me something about reasonable specification of dedicated server if he will to start only video sharing? Now, I know that 100 TB bandwidth will be better for it than unmetered one but could you tell me something more about RAM, processor?

Of course, we assume around 3000-4000 unique visitors per month.

And you wrote me about RAID, as I understand it's required for video streaming?
    Could you recommend me any hosting companies which will meet requirements of my friend, as well as have reasonable prices?

I would be really grateful for it.
      0 Not allowed!

John,

It really comes down to how many concurrent users he's looking at having. That's your biggest bottleneck. If he's only planning for 3k to 4k visitors per month spread out and not concurrent. He can easily server that with a box like this:

1 x QC
    4 x 1TB (If he needs the storage RAID10) otherwise
    2 x 128GB+ SSD (Raid 1)
    8GB to 16GB RAM
    Centos or other linux variant
    Wowza Media Server for the streaming

Well, as always I would recommend myself and others that are in the dedicated offers section on this site the biggest thing is to pick a host you can trust as you grow and check the latency of the network. Latency is just as important as the connection since video is very latency sensitive. Since he's just starting out you don't necessarly need to build for the highest level off the bat.

The big thing with streaming is you want to be able to eventually spread the load what that means is building out horizontally into a eventual farm of streaming nodes. Large VDN (Video Delivery Networks) are built to push Gbps of traffic at a time so after the first box your going to eventually want to just build multiple boxes with caching layers to expand your throughput.

So to summarize a single quad core proc with decent ram and ssd or spinning disk on RAID 10 should work fine for him. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
    100TB Dedicated Servers 1U - Full Cab Colocation Complex Hosting Horizontally Scalable Hosting DR/HA Hosting Public and Private Clouds Web Farms Innovative, Reliable, and Responsive
      1 Not allowed!

I understand but does he really need Woowza media server for streaming? I ask, because no one tell him that before.

As I understand, other types of disks than RAID and SSD are not good idea but I think I am not catch the diffrence between of these...
      0 Not allowed!

John,

He doesn't necessarily need Wowza if he's using ffmpeg or something to convert the files into static files of the different browsers types and serving them using apache or similiar. However, I would still highly recommend Wowza as it will allow him to provide HLS/RTP/RTMP ect. More importantly, Wowza is cheap vs flash media server or others. There are opensource alternatives such as red5 however, I don't have as much experience on that so I can't really speak to it in depth.

So back to your RAID SSD Question.

RAID is a method of combining multiple disk into a single volume. What that means more specifically is it will take those disk and perform striping/mirroring/parity depending on the RAID configuration.

Different RAID configurations give different benefits. For streaming your looking at RAID 10 typically. This gives you both redundancy and I/O performance.

Now RAID can be configured on either spinning disk (SATA/SAS) or SSD (Solid State) ignoring the down and dirty specifics trim ect.

The difference in spinning disk vs SSD is in the time it takes to seek and write files. There are different types of I/O access linear vs random as an example. SSD excels at both the read/write layers and both linear and random. Spinning disk gives you the largest storage amount per dollar but suffers performance issues on random read/write and is generally slower in general due to the time the disk has to seek against the platter.

For a site just starting out like yours either should be sufficent however, if the storage isn't your biggest concern SSD should be the way to go off the bat.

Did that help answer your question?
      1 Not allowed!

Thank you so much for help. It's help a lot, for this moment I have no additional questios
      0 Not allowed!

I am wondering about one more solution, means what do you think about cloud? Maybe this one would be better one when it comes to the cost-price efficiency? I observed that more and more companies are doing it in this way.
      0 Not allowed!

The cloud is an option but its also much more expensive. You could probably rent several servers for the price of just one cloud instance.

Just starting out and your budget I would recommend renting servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
    The cloud is an option but its also much more expensive. You could probably rent several servers for the price of just one cloud instance.

Just starting out and your budget I would recommend renting servers.
    Not necessarily true. There are services dedicated to streaming only that have lower bandwidth pricing, than say.. Amazon (who has absolutely enormous margins on their BW).
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support
      0 Not allowed!

Makes sense, I was pretty much looking at Amazon, so your probably right.
      0 Not allowed!

15. Given the budget, I think you're probably asking for a bit much. Depending on where your customers are, you'll want to consider bandwidth quality very highly, as well as IO, and you're not going to get much of either for $110.

Good luck in your search, let us know what you find regardless!
      0 Not allowed!