Getting into the business..

Hey WHT, just a newcomer to this forum and I am beginning my own company with a friend of mine. We plan on selling VPS using WHMCS and some servers that we are going to buy and colocate. I am just looking for some advice on getting started.

First off; The servers we have in mind are two Dell CS24-SC with 16GB 2x Intel L5420 Quad Core Xeon 2.26. I know these were originally manufactured for similar use.. Will they be a good starting server to get a small client base and begin to grow our business?

Second of all; I don't know about much about the market of VPS so what kind of virtualization software would you guys recommend to start our company using?

We plan on renting a quarter rack space in Burstnet's Dunmore Datacenter.. I currently have a colocated server there so that will also be going in it, and which the extra space that will be running on a 1GBPS port we have much room to expand.

I just need suggestions on getting started. Thanks WHT

Before you move forward with this, I highly recommend that you first rent a cheap dedicated server somewhere, like from DataShack or somewhere similar. The specs don't need to be much, so this should cost you <$50/mo. Spend several months learning how to manage Virtual Servers. Use this dedicated server for you and your friend. Split it up into containers and learn to manage them. Have someone break things. Come in, and learn how to fix those things.

After that, the servers you listed aren't half bad for some customers, really, but how many drives do you have? Minimum would be 4 drives per server in RAID10, which is the minimum industry standard for storage setups.

There is much, much more than installing SolusVM, WHMCS and having a website to be a 'host'. Sure, that's the bare minimum setup and how people get into the business but they don't last too long.

Not trying to discourage you, just asking you to spend more time learning. The fact you're asking before diving in head first is already promising. Just keep asking and learning. Do your research. Write a long and detailed business plan.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

Ram is really cheap these days I would at least double it.

You also need to determine which virtualization technology you want to use. Popular industry standards are openvz, kvm, and xen.

Quote Originally Posted by MannDude View Post
    Before you move forward with this, I highly recommend that you first rent a cheap dedicated server somewhere, like from DataShack or somewhere similar. The specs don't need to be much, so this should cost you <$50/mo. Spend several months learning how to manage Virtual Servers. Use this dedicated server for you and your friend. Split it up into containers and learn to manage them. Have someone break things. Come in, and learn how to fix those things.

After that, the servers you listed aren't half bad for some customers, really, but how many drives do you have? Minimum would be 4 drives per server in RAID10, which is the minimum industry standard for storage setups.

There is much, much more than installing SolusVM, WHMCS and having a website to be a 'host'. Sure, that's the bare minimum setup and how people get into the business but they don't last too long.

Not trying to discourage you, just asking you to spend more time learning. The fact you're asking before diving in head first is already promising. Just keep asking and learning. Do your research. Write a long and detailed business plan.
    My partner in business and I actually have a server that we have split into 4 vps for a few friends, which got us familiar with managing the virtual machines; but this is using openvz and openvz web panel. Which i don't think is the best option for commercial use, but i could be wrong. Also may I ask what the need is for 4 drives in each server? I was thinking more along the lines of a RAID 0 configuration with two drives. But please i definitely am looking for input.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman80 View Post
    My partner in business and I actually have a server that we have split into 4 vps for a few friends, which got us familiar with managing the virtual machines; but this is using openvz and openvz web panel. Which i don't think is the best option for commercial use, but i could be wrong. Also may I ask what the need is for 4 drives in each server? I was thinking more along the lines of a RAID 0 configuration with two drives. But please i definitely am looking for input.
    2 drives is fine - but RAID0 won't give you redundancy - you will get more space and performance, but if just one goes down it's game over.

RAID1 offers redundancy, but you get 50% of the overall capacity in storage, as data is mirrored.

RAID10 needs 4 drives, and gives you all those benefits.

It comes down to budget initially, but if you're selling packages go for RAID0 - speed means nothing if you have no redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    2 drives is fine - but RAID0 won't give you redundancy - you will get more space and performance, but if just one goes down it's game over.

RAID1 offers redundancy, but you get 50% of the overall capacity in storage, as data is mirrored.

RAID10 needs 4 drives, and gives you all those benefits.

It comes down to budget initially, but if you're selling packages go for RAID0 - speed means nothing if you have no redundancy.
    Thanks alot for the advice, redundancy is what we are ultimately going for.

I would go for Raid10 if it is for VPS so you can increase also the write speed not just the read.

SolusVM is very good for commercial vps control panel.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

DO NOT go for Raid0. There will be absolutely no redundancy, use Raid10.

Also,
    1. Do you have enough funds to run the company at least for 1 year?
    2. Do you have a plan and goals that you want to meet?

If you want to become successful there are lots of things you need to think about.

- Daniel

Thanks alot everyone for their input! I will take it into careful consideration!

Good luck with your business. When times get tough, just keep at it. If you really want it, you will get it. Put in the time and effort if this truly is becoming your passion.
    || Webhostpython - Introducing Venom Power! Shared, Reseller, and VPS plans
    || Pure SSD | Litespeed | LS-Cache | cPanel | SSLs | DDOS Protection | Blazing Fast
    || A 100% independent and debt free company with 24/7 - 365 in-house support