Would it be possible to use two CDNs at the same time?

The following scenario servers only as an example:

Let's say I have found two CDN providers. CDN1 covers well the whole world, but it doesn't cover Africa. CDN2 is essentially specialized in Africa, with PoPs in several countries over there, but it doesn't quite cover the other locations of the world.

I want to use both together. However, I want people in Africa to pull data from CDN2, and people from the rest of the world to pull data from CDN1.

I think that I might be able to achieve it having load-balancers in Africa and in other parts of the world to distribute the traffic but I'm probably overthinking it.

The question is, is it possible to use two CDNs at the same time, having one cover what the other lacks?

Thanks.

Everytime when a visitor of yours is attempting to open your site, he goes trough the shortest way ( with fewer hops, however it is no always that simple). So there is no need of balancing or limitations, your african visitors will connect to CDN2 in 99% of the cases.

If you want to use multiple CDNs working correctly, selecting the right CDN for the location, you need to take a look at 'multi CDN' solutions.

Generally what these services do, is to get statistics based on a network level, and when they have a lot of datapoints, they're able to tell which CDN is usually faster, and will make the client go to that CDN, instead of the slower one.

Another benefit will be higher availability, because if one CDN goes down, the other one will take over.

A good example for this is http://www.turbobytes.com/ - they operate with multiple CDNs, and already have the contracts with the CDN's.

Sadly they have a monthly subscription that you pay for.

Another alternative is http://www.cedexis.com/ - they provide a decision engine (It can be basic javascript) - here you need to have the contracts with the CDNs yourself, it might be cheaper, but I don't really know about their pricing.

If you have a lot of traffic, you can use their 'radar' functionality, which gives real user measurements, this can give you a discount in pricing, but I would assume that you need A LOT of data, to benefit from this.

You can find more about their multi-CDN here: http://www.cedexis.com/openmix/multi-cdn.html

I guess DynECT will be able to do the same, since they can do real time traffic management based on performance metrics - http://dyn.com/blog/content-delivery...ent-multi-cdn/

Suprised nobody covered this - but how about implementing Geo IP in your application (website?). Simply send all users from certain countries to the best/closest CDN?

Quote Originally Posted by nicktc View Post
    Suprised nobody covered this - but how about implementing Geo IP in your application (website?). Simply send all users from certain countries to the best/closest CDN?
    geoIP won't solve this.. closest doesn't mean fastest.

a CDN can be slow delivering files in general, it's not always related to network
    At least I've seen multiple CDN's having a good network, but the clusters itself, was damn slow, actually finding and sending the file to you - resulting in really bad performance.

Original question wasn't about actual CDN performance tho? It was about targetting Africa at CDN2 ?

Original question wasn't about actual CDN performance tho? It was about targetting Africa at CDN2 ?
    Exactly Often faster to deliver traffic from miami to brazil, than internally in brazil
    Same can happen for Africa - so I guess performance matters, because if it doesn't matter, why use 2 CDN's?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting4Real View Post
    Exactly Often faster to deliver traffic from miami to brazil, than internally in brazil
    That's not the case anymore. We have some top Tier 3 and Tier 4 datacenters now before and after Amazon and Equinix (Actually Equinix bought Alog's Datacenters) came to Brazil.

I figure out it would work this way:

Use the MaxMind database to recognize where the user's coming from.
    Then, generate the images files based on the location.

Since for most CDNs we use cnames (looks like a subdomian), you would generate the images using cdn1.domain.com or cdn2.domain.com based on the location the user is coming from.

But I'm looking for a more general mode that would work for several websites. I integrated the MaxMind database in nginx and Bind, but I'm still playing with them, thus I'm still looking for more alternatives.

@Hosting4Real, although http://www.turbobytes.com/ is expensive, it looks pretty good. I'll also take a look in cedexis, thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by v33usa View Post
    That's not the case anymore. We have some top Tier 3 and Tier 4 datacenters now before and after Amazon and Equinix (Actually Equinix bought Alog's Datacenters) came to Brazil.
    What, this is nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by v33usa View Post
    @Hosting4Real, although http://www.turbobytes.com/ is expensive, it looks pretty good. I'll also take a look in cedexis, thanks for that
    Yeah they're quite expensive, I don't know any alternative other than Cedexis, if I find something, I'll let you know!