Thumbs up Quick Question about MineCraft Server Hosting

Hello WHT,

Here's my Question. I'm looking into starting my own MineCraft Server Hosting company after working for a few of them. Now, I know servers, and I know how to manage and deploy mass amounts of VPS's. The only thing I need help with, is how to utilize and fill a server properly without sacrificing other users performance. My servers specs are below

For my Webhosting and SolusVM Master License Server;
    CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 (4 Cores / 8 Threads) @ 3.4GHz
    Memory - 32GB DDR3
    HDD - 2x 2TB SATA3
    RAID - SOFT 1
    Network - 250MB/s Unmetered

For my VPS's/MineCraft Hosting;
    CPU - 2x Intel Xeon E5606 (4 Cores / 4 Threads) x2 (8 Cores / 8 Threads)
    Memory - 128GB ECC Registered DDR3
    HDD - 2x 600GB SAS (SAS for Performance Reasons)
    Network - 750MB/s Unmetered

Can someone please tell me how much users this server (for hosting VPS's) it can hold with those Specs. These servers are basically moving air and sitting idle so I'd like to give them something to do and to utilize $5,000+ servers. Now, do I push more RAM to fill that server? Or build another 32GB Server? Please help.

Thanks,
    TaylorM237

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorM237 View Post
    Hello WHT,

Here's my Question. I'm looking into starting my own MineCraft Server Hosting company after working for a few of them. Now, I know servers, and I know how to manage and deploy mass amounts of VPS's. The only thing I need help with, is how to utilize and fill a server properly without sacrificing other users performance. My servers specs are below

For my Webhosting and SolusVM Master License Server;
    CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 (4 Cores / 8 Threads) @ 3.4GHz
    Memory - 32GB DDR3
    HDD - 2x 2TB SATA3
    RAID - SOFT 1
    Network - 250MB/s Unmetered

For my VPS's/MineCraft Hosting;
    CPU - 2x Intel Xeon E5606 (4 Cores / 4 Threads) x2 (8 Cores / 8 Threads)
    Memory - 128GB ECC Registered DDR3
    HDD - 2x 600GB SAS (SAS for Performance Reasons)
    Network - 750MB/s Unmetered

Can someone please tell me how much users this server (for hosting VPS's) it can hold with those Specs. These servers are basically moving air and sitting idle so I'd like to give them something to do and to utilize $5,000+ servers. Now, do I push more RAM to fill that server? Or build another 32GB Server? Please help.

Thanks,
    TaylorM237
    Well you didn't say how many accounts you have etc. I recommend doing Xen VPS's for minecraft, my cousin is real into that game, and his forum and friends all prefer Xen. Just my $0.02. As far as RAM goes, I think 32GB is good, but CPU is very important. The Xeon E5606 is a little old compared to the processor in your other server. You might hear different, but minecraft servers have a tech customer market. Many of them are aware of CPU's etc.
    Last edited by ClamHost; 11-12-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Wanted to provide more info about CPU choice

If I am reading correctly you have one server for Minecraft, and one server for Webhosting. Your question is regarding the server that you are doing the webhosting on correct. I believe the E3 series max's out at 32GB's of ram so putting more memory on that server would not be possible. Are you asking how many user accounts you can put on the server? Such as cPanel accounts? or are you asking how many VPS servers you can run on the server?

Sorry I just want to make sure I am not misinformed before putting time into answering a question incorrectly.

Thanks.
    Lee Linton - Hivelocity Hosting- Dedicated Account Manager
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately Owned and Operated Data Centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Hello,

Rather than deploying VPS Servers for Minecraft you'd probably be better setting up a control panel (such as Multicraft) and using that for deploying servers. Minecraft Hosting is quite big and the majority of users either go for Shared Hosting or Dedicated Servers for hosting Minecraft, not as many go for VPS as what they do shared hosting.

In terms of what you can hold on each server, it would depend on how much RAM you sell in each package.

Keep an eye on DDoS too… I would suggest having a plan in place for this in case it happens and you are not stuck without a quick solution...
    Hosting And Designs L.L.C. Since 2002 --> http://www.hostinganddesigns.com/HD/
    Tech Blog: http://www.hostinganddesigns.com/Blog/
    Sales: Lars A Jensen. Direct: 503-999-7518 9am-5+pm

Performance is obviously important with Minecraft, so make sure you paravirtualize your Xen VMs.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

For Minecraft you're going to run into issues with either of those servers for IO. You're best to use SSD's for hosting Minecraft servers. Being one of the first providers for Minecraft who used SSD's we noticed right away we started with four 1tb's in raid 10 and had issues pretty quickly with only around 16gb of ram used.

SAS drives handle it a bit better however if you can use SSD's and save the headache right away.
    It also depends on how many customers you plan on putting on those servers, it'd be better if you used a E3-1230-1270 for Minecraft if you can and the other ones for webhosting.
    Sales/Support - sales @ purevoltage.com / 1-855-787-8658
    PureVoltage.com Premium Colocation, Dedicated & VPS Hosting, along with Remote Hands NY
    Enterprise Hardware with 6 Global Locations - Seattle | Dallas | Chicago | Los Angeles | New York | Amsterdam

Hey OP have you ever hosted a minecraft server before, even a personal one? Are you familiar with mods for minecraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting&Designs View Post
    Keep an eye on DDoS too… I would suggest having a plan in place for this in case it happens and you are not stuck without a quick solution...
    My Servers have a Cisco ASA 5520 Firewall which helps DDoS attacks. I've tested a 5GB/s (local) DDoS Stresser on it, and the server was still able to push through. And in case of a Server Downtime (Massive Attack, Network Error), I'll comp 5% off their plan, and the price per hour of server operation

(If server costs $30, and is down for 4 hours, they'll be comped $1.60 [5% of there server cost] + $0.16 for downtime [per downtime hour])

Quote Originally Posted by saschoen View Post
    Hey OP have you ever hosted a minecraft server before, even a personal one? Are you familiar with mods for minecraft?
    Yes, I've hosted Several successful servers, just didn't have the time/money back then to keep them going (College)

Quote Originally Posted by Criot View Post
    Hello,

Rather than deploying VPS Servers for Minecraft you'd probably be better setting up a control panel (such as Multicraft) and using that for deploying servers. Minecraft Hosting is quite big and the majority of users either go for Shared Hosting or Dedicated Servers for hosting Minecraft, not as many go for VPS as what they do shared hosting.

In terms of what you can hold on each server, it would depend on how much RAM you sell in each package.
    Well the way it was going to work, is the "MineCraft" server will be ran in a VPS environment with a custom CentOS 6.4 (most stable, and fastest OS) with McMyAdmin Enterprise, APF (Advanced Policy Firewall), and the other goodies running on it. Since I've only trusted McMyAdmin because of the functionality, and how often customers want it over MultiCraft. Really the question is. Should I offer bigger RAM packages to fill the 128GB of RAM? Or should I jump down to a newer CPU, lower RAM and go from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hivelocity-Lee View Post
    If I am reading correctly you have one server for Minecraft, and one server for Webhosting. Your question is regarding the server that you are doing the webhosting on correct. I believe the E3 series max's out at 32GB's of ram so putting more memory on that server would not be possible. Are you asking how many user accounts you can put on the server? Such as cPanel accounts? or are you asking how many VPS servers you can run on the server?

Sorry I just want to make sure I am not misinformed before putting time into answering a question incorrectly.

Thanks.
    No, the E3-1245v2 Server is going to be used for Webhosting the main site, and hosting the SolusVM Master License. And I was asking how much users/accounts could I possibly put onto the 128GB 2x Intel E5606 Server before any performance degrade is noticed?
    Last edited by Mike V; 11-12-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Posts merged

Well the way it was going to work, is the "MineCraft" server will be ran in a VPS environment with a custom CentOS 6.4 (most stable, and fastest OS) with McMyAdmin Enterprise, APF (Advanced Policy Firewall), and the other goodies running on it. Since I've only trusted McMyAdmin because of the functionality, and how often customers want it over MultiCraft. Really the question is. Should I offer bigger RAM packages to fill the 128GB of RAM? Or should I jump down to a newer CPU, lower RAM and go from there?
    You're probably going to want an E3 for running Minecraft, in my experience they're the best processors to use for it.

Lower RAM shouldn't be a problem, but you'd probably need to set up multiple nodes eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Criot View Post
    You're probably going to want an E3 for running Minecraft, in my experience they're the best processors to use for it.

Lower RAM shouldn't be a problem, but you'd probably need to set up multiple nodes eventually.
    I have a server (all it needs is new fans) but the specs are listed below;

CPU - Intel E5-1650 (6 Cores / 12 Threads) @ 3.2GHz
    Memory - 64GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    Storage - 2x 2TB SATA3's
    Storage 2 - 2x 300GB Intel DC-S3500 Series SSD's
    RAID - SOFT 1 / 1
    Network - 500MB/s Unmetered

Would this be a better solution?

I have a server (all it needs is new fans) but the specs are listed below;

CPU - Intel E5-1650 (6 Cores / 12 Threads) @ 3.2GHz
    Memory - 64GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    Storage - 2x 2TB SATA3's
    Storage 2 - 2x 300GB Intel DC-S3500 Series SSD's
    RAID - SOFT 1 / 1
    Network - 500MB/s Unmetered

Would this be a better solution?
    It'll be good, but use the SSD if you want stable non laggy minecraft hosting. Personally I'd use your regular HDD's for your own VPS? Whatever you want.