What about if we want more powerful hosting but do not want VPS?

I mean, the main reason why people jump to VPS is that in VPS, we can have more powerful CPU, bandwidth, etc.

However, VPS has one costs that don't scale up with that CPU usage.

That is. VPS providers need to pay Cpanel $10 to $15 per VPS they use. That cost is passed on to us.

Hmmmm....

What about something like shared hosting but with very flexible CPU bandwith, etc.

Something like wiredtree.com. However, I want a few smaller VPS rather than one big ones because I want each of my domains to have different IPs.

With something like CloudLinux or HIVE, it is somewhat possible to allocate more resources such as cpu and memory towards individual cPanel accounts. However, it is still ultimately up to the provider to make sure the server's population is kept at a level where an account can actually utilize these resources at a consistent rate. A VPS or dedicated would offer more guaranteed resources.

A number of providers offer something variously called enterprise hosting, semi-dedicated hosting, premium hosting or similar. What is meant by it varies quite a lot - but one species of it is simply shared hosting on powerful servers with a guaranteed maximum number of clients on the server. As a result, the resource limits are set a lot higher than they would be normally. (Say, you might get 8-20 clients per server, as opposed to 100-400).
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hardjoko View Post
    However, I want a few smaller VPS rather than one big ones because I want each of my domains to have different IPs.
    On a single VPS you can setup as many dedicated IPs as you want. Of course, you will have to pay for each of them (i think it's about $2-3 / month for each IP on most providers)
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by hardjoko View Post
    I mean, the main reason why people jump to VPS is that in VPS, we can have more powerful CPU, bandwidth, etc.
    Actually many switch because they want full control, SSH access for example.

Dedicated Hosting (Enterprise Hosting) is where you get a bigger chunk of a server, but if you need more diskspace or bandwidth, just contact your provider and see what you guys can work a deal on. But yeah like Gingir, most people move to a VPS to get more control, install what they need and use the control panel of their choice and not defaulted on cPanel.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

I don't think in shared hosting you will be able to find that. I think you need to look and think about getting either a vps or a dedicated server that way you can control that.

You can have Semi Dedicated hosting which is about 30% of a server's resources dedicated to you. However semi dedicated is not cheap and is close to the price of VPS.
    The upside? No management/console commands/etc. Just power for your websites.

If you are on standard shared host and want more power without upgrading to a VPS or semi-dedicated server, the best course of action is to try a reseller account since such accounts have higher resources allocated to them. Some hosts even offer multiple IPs with shared reseller hosting, obviously at an extra fee.

You can opt for custom VPS, wherein you can get the vps according to your requirement and budget.

The truth is that if you need more then what shared hosting can give you, or you are getting over 1000-2000 visitors a day you should have your site on a VPS.

They are really not that expensive and the degree to which you can customize your server environment is worth the extra few bucks.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

You can buy a basic vps plan and additional dedicated IP's for your each domain. Each IP will cost you a little extra but it will suit your needs.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

It really depends on how much traffic you're expecting to have.
    I've actually had some excellent experience combining Shared hosting with CloudFlare (the free package) - see their Always Online service, which displays a limited static cache of your site when your server goes down.

As long as you're not having much traffic and you optimize your usage (optimize your DB, choose the right CMS, don't overload it and make sure it runs smoothly) I believe you should be okay doing the same. (surprisingly, a few years back one of my sites once got a huge traffic spike after being listed on The Thrillist - I had 600+ real-time visitors on a simple shared hosting account. but that really depends on how well you optimize your system, and a good amount of luck).

contact a few hosting providers many have accounts / plans that are more expensive or can do a custom solution for you.

Have you tried looking at semi dedicated servers to see if you can find something in your budget? Maybe you should consider that as an option.

I don't know if anyone said this but you do not necessarily have to use CPanel on a VPS. I have a few VPSes running small applications, and they do not have such type of control panel.

A good semi-dediated plan is only $20-25. VPS isn't needed.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    I don't know if anyone said this but you do not necessarily have to use CPanel on a VPS. I have a few VPSes running small applications, and they do not have such type of control panel.
    You need to buy a license.
    But you can install the free WebMin on your VPS and have some GUI control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by kambone View Post
    You need to buy a license.
    But you can install the free WebMin on your VPS and have some GUI control panel.
    You're a provider and think all VPSes require cPanel

Yeah, I don't understand that either.

And Webmin is NOT a control panel. It's just a server setting GUI. Virtualmion is the panel. I swear that people who think Webmin is a panel have never actually used it. And thus, it negates most of their advice. Just my opinion.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    And Webmin is NOT a control panel. It's just a server setting GUI. Virtualmion is the panel. I swear that people who think Webmin is a panel have never actually used it. And thus, it negates most of their advice. Just my opinion.
    Webmin can be a good fit for a server hosting a few small sites. It does offer the ability to create email accounts, Apache hosts, dns entries, etc. It isn't a shared hosting CP, no, but it can be used in that capacity without issue. I guess it just depends ones definition of "control panel".
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Well not necesarrly cPanel. We for example use our own custom build control panel with a GUI.
    There are also other options, however cPanel is the most popular one.