How does VPS provider pays Cpanel?

It seems that cpanel license alone is the main costs of VPS.

I mean shared hosting just pay 1 cpanel license per server right? What about VPS? Does every VPS got 1 license?

What about providers like ramnode, for example?

Cpanel license is like $25 per server. That's the bottle neck in ordering a bunch of accounts.

I would imagine they would get a small discount if they are purchasing in bulk, I don't really know however.

cPanel licenses cost ~$15/month for a VPS server.

Hmmm...

So at the bottom we have shared hosting. Then if we need better CPU we would need a VPS so we can have access to that whm thingy and copy account from another server. Then on top of that we got hybrid or dedicated.

Hmm....

The cpanel cost is what bothers me. If I can have much more powerful shared (more powerful than hostgator shared), that'll be awesome.

The price for cPanel license varies a bit based on provider. I guess cPanel offer reduction based on amount of licenses purchase from them. I don't know who charges $25 for it; but that is little high compared to the current pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by nixtree View Post
    The price for cPanel license varies a bit based on provider. I guess cPanel offer reduction based on amount of licenses purchase from them. I don't know who charges $25 for it; but that is little high compared to the current pricing.
    I think the $25 he is talking about is for the server not vps. That is probably for internal license too. External will cost more.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by nixtree View Post
    [...] I don't know who charges $25 for it; but that is little high compared to the current pricing.
    Softlayer does for either cloud instances or dedicated servers.
    -Steven | u2-web, LLC - Clustered Shared Hosting
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

you should compare the prices with cpanel direct purchase or valid cpanel resellers.

Most hosts include the cpanel licensing costs in the server charges
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

Quote Originally Posted by hardjoko View Post
    The cpanel cost is what bothers me. If I can have much more powerful shared (more powerful than hostgator shared), that'll be awesome.
    It doesn't take much to be more powerful than hostgator.
    I've done a lot of migrations lately and I hate having to work with hostgator's cPanel, no idea what the issue is really, the load is usually not too high on the servers but the speed is usually no good.

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    Softlayer does for either cloud instances or dedicated servers.
    For dedicated servers, yes $25 is a fair price. But with cloud instance which normally comes under "VPS" category, $25 / month is not good.

Normally, VPS providers do start there business with few cPanel licenses about 25-30 at a time. On which they start getting Discount from cPanel License Providers.

usually,15$ are charged from clients for VPS clients whereas it only cost about 13-14$ [depending on the no. of license with there cPanel license provider].

cPanel license can be moved from One IP to another , so there is no problem ...if there one client left VPS in between of there cPanel license billing cycle as they can allot same License to another IP [other client]

Yes is little sad to see a nice VPS configuration for prices less than the cPanel license $12/15. Nowadays software and support is the main expense for hosting providers not the bunch of RAM, CPUs, HDD space, etc.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

cPanel is really one of the most expensive parts in getting VPS. I'm not knowledgeable enough to do without cPanel, so yeah.

I think Its Quite OK to pay 15$ for cpanel license as If a user can do pay 15-20$ for a VPS , he should use cPanel for getting maximum output from it.

Still, as a cPanel user...cPanel.net should reduce its VPS/Server License Fee little bit ....least upto 10$ for VPS & 25$ for dedicated server

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi-EstroWeb View Post
    I think Its Quite OK to pay 15$ for cpanel license as If a user can do pay 15-20$ for a VPS , he should use cPanel for getting maximum output from it.

Still, as a cPanel user...cPanel.net should reduce its VPS/Server License Fee little bit ....least upto 10$ for VPS & 25$ for dedicated server
    Well, everyone has to eat.

I know a provider who provides cPanel/WHM Licenses at $5.00 to clients. The more you sell the better deal for you i guess.

If I'm not mistaken... cPanel has a VAR licensing scheme. VAR meaning Value Added Reseller. This sort of license only allows you to run it on your IP's, but the cost is reduced significantly.

Basically, if you sell VPS's, you can qualify for VAR pricing, and get some really good deals. This is how most Managed providers go about it, because their target market is specifically looking for a VPS with cPanel (usually).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

If Cpanel is too much, then there are alternatives if you are running your own sites and not re-selling. Something like VestaCP is decent and zero cost.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Big vps providers, gets bulk licensees .. That's why they get it at a cheaper price..

Steadfast charge only $5. Also because I can get many IPs, I do not think I will need that many cpanel licenses.

average dedicated cpanel license is $25, and $15 for cpanel. and yes, you need 1 license for 1 vps.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyteens View Post
    cPanel is really one of the most expensive parts in getting VPS. I'm not knowledgeable enough to do without cPanel, so yeah.
    If expense is an issue, I would advise you to take a look at VestaCP, www.vestacp.com

enjoy.
    bpsNode, LLC - www.bpsNode.com
    Premium Cloud Servers
    Enterprise Hardware

Do you require cPanel?? If you need to just manage your server than why not go with virtualizor. cPanel is one the reasons to shoot up the cost of vps.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

I would recommend Kloxo panel which is free, it is similar to cPanel/WHM.

Re: How does VPS provider pays Cpanel?

You pay per server yes. We use cpanel and love it.
    Last edited by Licensecart-Mike; 11-16-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

VPS licence from supplier is 15$, and I think network providers get a discount too.

If I'm not mistaken... cPanel has a VAR licensing scheme
    For a provider to provide instant cpanel Licensing.
    You have to become a cpanel partner and you pay cpanel direct for the licenses. You have to have your own data center or collocate your own equipment. You have your own IP space or have Your upstream's IP's SWIPED or verified that it assigned to your organization (for internal licenses) else you have to get the from your provider(if they are a partner NOC), Distributor, or directly from cPanel.

http://cpanel.net/data-centers/become-a-partner-noc/
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Like HostingBig said, they can either become a cPanel Partner or go thru a reseller.

An independent external cpanel license for a vps is usually about $15/m, that's pretty much industry standard. But if you buy the cpanel license from the vps provider they often sell it for a little less, they offset the cost of the license by the cost of the vps, and they get more discounts from buying so many licenses.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 18 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

They become a reseller with cpanel and have to buy tens or hundreds at once
    Or if they are small hosting providers they buy it from distributor or resellers of cpanel.

cPanel License Resellers have different pricing tiers which can easily be broken down into Internal and External Licenses, as well as VPS and Dedicated Licenses.

Internal Licenses are a set price for licenses that are for servers physically located on your hardware within your data center.

External Licenses are a set price for licenses that are for servers physically located outside of your network.

VPS Licenses are lower than Dedicated Servers, but yes EACH VPS will need it's own license whereas you only need a single license for a Dedicated Server.

+1 for VestaCP, after using cpanel as both an admin and enduser, vestacp is the best freeware CP out there, i have setup and tested zpanel, ispconfig3 and vesta is the best portal thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by phez View Post
    +1 for VestaCP, after using cpanel as both an admin and enduser, vestacp is the best freeware CP out there, i have setup and tested zpanel, ispconfig3 and vesta is the best portal thus far.
    Yeah, Id have to say vestacp is easier to use than even cpanel, it doesn't have as many features, but its a very lightweight control panel, will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

It does have a whcms module if you want to do hosting with it, problem is, is its just not as popular as cpanel, well yet anyway.