Dedicated Server or Colocation?

Hello I have been selling VPS's and shared hosting for some time, and my server is starting to get full.

Right now we're using about 38GB RAM out of 72GB, and 2.39TB out of 6TB that our server supports (4X 3TB RAID 10).

Should we colocate or continue paying $169-$209 per month for our servers?

To be honest what worries me is hardware failure = additional costs, but we need to lower our monthly expenses, in order to keep our prices where there at.

If we do go the colocation route, would a 2X L5520 with 72GB or so be sufficient? I was offered two servers with 2X L5410's, 32GB RAM, 4X 1TB Drives in RAID 10 for $200 each, but they're at Colounlimited where colocation is a little expensive for 100mb port.

Please post your opinions!

Thanks,

Thomas

I don't think you will find decent colocation with an unmetered 100mbit connection for cheaper than Colounlimited. I pay about $120 in colocation fees a month with Constant/Choopa for a 1000mbit with 20TB of transfer a month.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw4267 View Post
    I don't think you will find decent colocation with an unmetered 100mbit connection for cheaper than Colounlimited. I pay about $120 in colocation fees a month with Constant/Choopa for a 1000mbit with 20TB of transfer a month.
    Good point, my clients and I use less than 1TB of bandwidth per month, so metered or unmetered doesn't matter.

Those prices you are paying are very good, if you are happy with your current host you might just want to stay with them.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw4267 View Post
    Those prices you are paying are very good, if you are happy with your current host you might just want to stay with them.
    Really compared to for example VersaWeb I felt $169 each server is a little on the higher end. Perhaps I'm being too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by ClamHost View Post
    Really compared to for example VersaWeb I felt $169 each server is a little on the higher end. Perhaps I'm being too tight.
    I have to agree that your current deal is solid, and if it's working well you should definitely stick with that.

There aren't many benefits, if any, to colocating 1-5 servers with low bandwidth usage. You will be investing more money, and when that server becomes obsolete you will have to buy new hardware to stay current.

The most important question to ask yourself; "is my current service filling my needs?". If so, then you should keep it
    GorillaServers Inc. Powerful Bare Metal Servers
    Instant and Custom Deploy 1Gbps/10Gbps Servers in Los Angeles & Ogden Utah
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

Colocation means that you are changing priorities. It makes sense to colocate if you plan to start building your own network. If you can get a good deal on dedicated servers it is probably better to keep the things the way they are.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Colounlimited is expensive? That is actually the cheapest I've seen in Dallas.

If you can't afford to colocate, then better stay with renting a server. It will make sense to go for colo only if you have more than 5 servers to colocate.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

If you have a high end server, with a lot of ram or hard drives, colocation is usually a little cheaper, since a lot of rental based providers nickel and dime you for those things.

Rental for me - the pricing is different for every individual setup, but you generally need to be colocating way more than 5 servers to reap the same benefits at a lower cost.

With too few servers and too little business, by the time you break even your equipment is old and the competition are ahead. This can work if you have a used hardware buyer in your supply chain but no respectable provider I've heard of will buy decommissioned hardware for production use. You have to factor in spare hardware supplies also (literally spares of everything), man hours and the rest. At the price you're paying you'd need some insane deals to beat that with colo. Personally I simply combine rental and colo - most DC's will allow this and it means I can set the correct priorities of each component, for example I built a good agreement with PhoenixNAP so that the hardware is mostly owned, but the SSD's in particular are covered by there hardware policies (which are great).

How many VPS's? how many IPs? is it keep growing?
    Cloudzy
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Bitcoin VPS | Forex VPS
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, PerfectMoney, CryotoCurrency and Bitcoin
    In business for more than 14 years - Since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Hannan View Post
    How many VPS's? how many IPs? is it keep growing?
    Right now were at 23 VPS's, but most are 2GB RAM, were using a little more half our servers RAM, but load times are starting to get higher than we want.

We have the potential to get newer rental equipment for around the same price, if we're willing to sacrifice RAID 10 for RAID 1 or RAID 5.

Specifically the E5-2620 64GB RAM, 3X 2TB HDD = $170 with /26 subnet (61 ips).

Although I'm still unsure if I want to go for the E5-2620 or E5-1620 (to help costs).

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    Rental for me - the pricing is different for every individual setup, but you generally need to be colocating way more than 5 servers to reap the same benefits at a lower cost.

With too few servers and too little business, by the time you break even your equipment is old and the competition are ahead. This can work if you have a used hardware buyer in your supply chain but no respectable provider I've heard of will buy decommissioned hardware for production use. You have to factor in spare hardware supplies also (literally spares of everything), man hours and the rest. At the price you're paying you'd need some insane deals to beat that with colo. Personally I simply combine rental and colo - most DC's will allow this and it means I can set the correct priorities of each component, for example I built a good agreement with PhoenixNAP so that the hardware is mostly owned, but the SSD's in particular are covered by there hardware policies (which are great).
    We're using ioflood on PhoenixNap as well, no downtime.

Right now were at 23 VPS's, but most are 2GB RAM, were using a little more half our servers RAM, but load times are starting to get higher than we want.

We have the potential to get newer rental equipment for around the same price, if we're willing to sacrifice RAID 10 for RAID 1 or RAID 5.

Specifically the E5-2620 64GB RAM, 3X 2TB HDD = $170 with /26 subnet (61 ips).

Although I'm still unsure if I want to go for the E5-2620 or E5-1620 (to help costs).
    I would say that if load times are getting worse than you'd like, the last thing you'll want to do is downgrade your disk system. Typically with VPS servers, the disk subsystem sees signs of stress before anything else, so if you're seeing slowdowns, you definitely wouldn't want to downgrade to fewer disks as this would make the problem worse.

We're using ioflood on PhoenixNap as well, no downtime.
    An old partnership used ioFlood in the past, can only say good things about io and funky.
    SecuredServers for us for leasing now though - also great.

Ashburn PhoenixNap though this time - must say it's just as strong as the Phoenix DC (with less abuse from asia) - very impressed overall with pNap over the years.

Are you with Versaweb (i.e., FiberHub) right now? I'd imagine you could arrange something with Rob or Don to have your equipment transitioned over into a quarter cabinet. They've been running some great cabinet deals recently.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com