Post CloudLinux vs ??

I have been doing quiet a bit of research and I wanted to start a new thread to see just how many people here have used (or are using) CloudLinux and how success you have been.

If I have a VMWare guest CentOS/cPanel server with suPHP and mod_security, how difficult would it be to convert it to a CloudLinux server in your experience?

I've searched around the forums and for the most part many of you swear by it. I've seen "betterlinux" brought up a few times, but it's almost always shot down. Which platform do you prefer, is there a better one or is CloudLinux on a path to becoming the industry standard?

Of course I would prefer Cloudlinux for shared web hosting servers, make sure to have CageFS installed as well. It is not hard to convert it, just follow the steps and even a total newbie will be able to set it up in like 30 minutes.

How difficult would it be to convert? Try not difficult at all . You might have a few php issues if you choose to use phpselector, but all in all, CL is pretty stable and easy to convert to.

As Eriks said, make sure you have cagefs installed, and push everyone into cagefs. It's not enough to just install it.

If you want to install phpselector, it can be done, but it can be rather, well, tricky. This is great though, if you're going to host clients that need older versions of php.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I love CloudLinux myself. Best investment for a webhost, gives users a bit of trust and you can give access to SSH to a user without being worried they'd use it for the wrong reasons... It just makes webhosting better.

I use CloudLinux extensively and truly believe in the product.

Out of the box with the default settings, it makes the average server much more secure than without it. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said for BetterLinux which requires you to make a handful of manual changes to bring it up to par.

Converting an existing server over to CloudLinux is very simple and only requires one reboot. We've done it countless times and haven't experienced any bad results yet.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

CloudLinux all the way. Best even for shared hosting business.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Love Cloudlinux, super easy to install from CentOS.. its pretty much 1 command and 1 reboot, and others mentioned, use CageFS. Best 10 bucks/m you will spend on your server.
    Hostabulous 🔗 cPanel (Cloudlinux) & Plesk (Windows DC 2016) Hosting 🔗 R1Soft CDP backups
    No Gimmicks 🍁 Proudly Canadian

Thank you all for the overwhelming positive response. You've made it an easy choice.

After using CloudLinux we will not deploy another shared hosting server without it again. Many customers also love having the ability to change and modify their own PHP settings from within cPanel.

We have tested CloudLinux and HIVE on shared servers. Both has its own advantages. HIVE comes with lot of features and give you many means to control the resources. CloudLinux also adding more control over your shared accounts nowadays. I think CloudLinux is more popular than HIVE, where both comes with excellent support team for the softwares. Give a try to both if you are interested and prefer which you feel is better.

Coversion - CloudLinux and HIVE provides conversion scripts for cPanel servers. Also their support team will assist you if you meet with any issues while installation / uninstallation.

got a link for HIVE?
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Of course...please have a look at http://www.1h.com/products/hive

Quote Originally Posted by nixtree View Post
    We have tested CloudLinux and HIVE on shared servers. Both has its own advantages. HIVE comes with lot of features and give you many means to control the resources. CloudLinux also adding more control over your shared accounts nowadays. I think CloudLinux is more popular than HIVE, where both comes with excellent support team for the softwares. Give a try to both if you are interested and prefer which you feel is better.

Coversion - CloudLinux and HIVE provides conversion scripts for cPanel servers. Also their support team will assist you if you meet with any issues while installation / uninstallation.
    Looks like they both do the same thing except for one major difference. CloudLinux will throttle and slow down the users website. While HIVE will disable it and/or show an error message. HIVE provides much more intuitive metrics and statistical information though. Comes down to preference here. Would you say this is correct or am I missing something?

Yes, both of them are used to throttle resource usage and isolate users. Note that slowing down website with CL when CPU limit reaches; with memory it will return error. Yes, HIVE consists of many more metrics like "hits to domain" and more statistical reports. I am not recommending anything; try both ( everything ) and take the best that fits your need.

Talking from a security standpoint 1H's product is not secure against TOCTOU race conditions in apache. Cloudlinux would be the better option.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1319828
    Last edited by Steven; 11-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

CloudLinux is the market leader. Most of the web hosts offer it.
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

It would be great if CloudLinux would be compatible with OpenVZ.
    However CloudLinux just promice such feature in the future.

It will be a Great achievement if CloudLinux Support OPENVZ in future.
    It will give stability to all OpenVZ vps

Been considering CloudLinux, currently using Centos and EasyApache on our Cpanel shared server.

Thank you all so much! I installed CloudLinux on one of our servers with the trial license. It was just as easy and everyone here said it would be. I setup CageFS, that works really well too. I ran a couple traffic emulations to get an idea for how it works, it's fancy.

Are there any other initial "getting started" things I should know that maybe someone of you have picked up on from experience? What are some of the first things you configure after getting it installed?

I'm reading up about the MySQL governor....