Thinking of leaving Dreamhost - a disappointing review of how things have changed

I know that most people here are already plenty familiar with what Dreamhost offers, and the pros and cons of their services, but posting my experience here just in case it helps.

So I bit into the Dreamhost cake in May 2011(www.visualmediablog.com is the primary domain on the account, but the site is down now, you can also check www.prorec.com). I needed some hosting, they had a very cheap offer for the first year, I had read some decent reviews from people I trusted, and I bit.

If I'm being completely honest, I was happy for quite a while. Their control panel is fantastic and gives more options than others I had used. They provide more flexibility on a shared account than I've seen in hosts I've had in the past. They really do have a very flexible and full-featured shared hosting service.

But it seems that in the past several months, things have just gotten bad. My Wordpress sites I'm running there, which by the way are getting a max of less than 50 people a day on the busiest site, are running painfully slow. They didn't used to be that way.

I have one site that is run on a powerful theme(which I know can bring performance issues, but this theme lets you fully turn off EVERYTHING you're not using, which I do), and I'm using everything from W3 Total Cache to Cloudflare with Railgun to full minification to asynchronous javascript loading plugins to Google Pagespeed insights......nothing is helping. Right now, I have a combo of W3TC, Cloudflare w/Railgun and Pagespeed, all set up properly, and my Wordpress site is taking upwards of 10 seconds to fully load according to Pingdom.

I've had discussions with their tech support in the past, which is all ticket based, and had great response, usually within an hour even on non-critical items. This includes tickets concerning website performance. They helped me with plenty of suggestions and info from their logs, and all was well.

They asked me to get back in touch after making some optimizations if I still had bad performance. I did that yesterday morning, now over 27 hours ago. I have yet to get a reply this time.

I have never received any emails saying that I had high usage or anything like that. As far as I can see, nothing is wrong with my sites. No attacks, no extreme server loads, etc. So I just don't know what else to do, and it's painful to work on my sites this way.

Add this to the downtime I've experienced in the past few months(which admittedly, has been better lately), and it just starts to stink a little. And never has any credit been issued or offered for downtime, as they promise in their 100% uptime guarantee.

So I'm at a breaking point, I think. I'm not naive enough to believe that I should be getting a Cadillac at Pinto prices, but I just feel that my money will get me more somewhere else. It would be one thing if they had been bad all along, but they haven't. They were really good for a while.

So with reluctance, I'm about 90% of the way to deciding to leave Dreamhost. The other 10% is the hope I have that it's just a fluke, and the fact that I really do love their control panel(and I really never liked cPanel, personally, so it was a breath of fresh air for me). And they have been GREAT with support in the past. And since it's very time consuming to move sites and emails and everything else between hosts with the risk that you won't be happy and have to move again, I just don't want to jump irrationally.

Has anyone else noticed a drastic decrease in quality of product and service? Any hope that anyone can offer? Has the overselling just caught up with them? I know that many of the "Unlimited" hosts fall into this trap sometimes(and I'm not ignorant of what "Unlimited" actually means).

They claim to have "Wordpress optimized" hosting, which seems to be a big buzzword, but I can tell you that none of my Wordpress sites run well.

I have a few hosts in mind after doing some non-Google searches and looking around here, so I'll make another post concerning the decision of where to go from here. But I just wanted to share some frustrations.

Thanks.

Brent

Have a look at CrocWeb and FreshRoastedHosting I've used them in the past and have great service and support. Good luck.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Just a thought - have you asked them to move you to a different server? It may be that the server you are on has a bad client who is overusing resources and they are yet to sort that out, or has hardware problems, or anything like that. Sometimes people find that a problem like this is solved by moving to another server.

Of course they may say no! But I can't see why they'd refuse, if they wanted to keep your custom. It may be worth a try before jumping ship.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    Just a thought - have you asked them to move you to a different server? It may be that the server you are on has a bad client who is overusing resources and they are yet to sort that out, or has hardware problems, or anything like that. Sometimes people find that a problem like this is solved by moving to another server.

Of course they may say no! But I can't see why they'd refuse, if they wanted to keep your custom. It may be worth a try before jumping ship.
    I have requested it in the past, but didn't get moved. I WOULD request it this time, but they have yet to respond to me.

I'm a "benefit of the doubt" kind of customer, where I'm always inclined to let a company sort out any issues I have. So I'm open to staying if the right things can happen. I'm even prepared to pay for a year of hosting to whomever I go/stay with.

So if they reply to me, I'll definitely ask about the possibility. But I'm leaning more and more, so time is running out unfortunately as I need to get these sites fully ready to go.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
    I have requested it in the past, but didn't get moved. I WOULD request it this time, but they have yet to respond to me.

I'm a "benefit of the doubt" kind of customer, where I'm always inclined to let a company sort out any issues I have. So I'm open to staying if the right things can happen. I'm even prepared to pay for a year of hosting to whomever I go/stay with.

So if they reply to me, I'll definitely ask about the possibility. But I'm leaning more and more, so time is running out unfortunately as I need to get these sites fully ready to go.

Brent
    Shame, isn't it? Did they give a reason not to move you last time you asked?

I think I'd be working out who I would move to, and start sending them a few pre-sales enquiries. Then I'd set a mental cut-off date - if they haven't come back with something concrete I'd move the sites over (or ask the new host to do it for me). You've still got a last chance not to move if you haven't changed the nameservers and cancelled with Dreamhost.

On paying yearly - my advice would be not to do this to begin with. Give it a few months of monthly payment then switch later. If the host has a "first invoice only" promotion, ask them before signing up if they'd honour that on an annual package if you switched to annual after 3 months.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    Shame, isn't it? Did they give a reason not to move you last time you asked?

I think I'd be working out who I would move to, and start sending them a few pre-sales enquiries. Then I'd set a mental cut-off date - if they haven't come back with something concrete I'd move the sites over (or ask the new host to do it for me). You've still got a last chance not to move if you haven't changed the nameservers and cancelled with Dreamhost.

On paying yearly - my advice would be not to do this to begin with. Give it a few months of monthly payment then switch later. If the host has a "first invoice only" promotion, ask them before signing up if they'd honour that on an annual package if you switched to annual after 3 months.
    Thanks. Some good advice there.

I don't recall them giving me a reason, but instead saying something to the effect of "the server is fine, we just had to clear something out" or something generic. I know I had the conversation, but can't find the exact ticket at the moment.

Obviously, there are money back guarantees in case they didn't let me honor the first invoice promotions(which the hosts I'm considering moving to both have), so I'll have to inquire about it.

I'm already in the process of inquiring with a couple of hosts, and will post another thread in a couple of minutes with details of who I am considering, in hopes that I can get further feedback. So I'll keep in mind what you said. Thanks!

Brent

Thanks. Some good advice there.

I don't recall them giving me a reason, but instead saying something to the effect of "the server is fine, we just had to clear something out" or something generic. I know I had the conversation, but can't find the exact ticket at the moment.

Obviously, there are money back guarantees in case they didn't let me honor the first invoice promotions(which the hosts I'm considering moving to both have), so I'll have to inquire about it.

I'm already in the process of inquiring with a couple of hosts, and will post another thread in a couple of minutes with details of who I am considering, in hopes that I can get further feedback. So I'll keep in mind what you said. Thanks!

Brent
    Hey Brent!

It looks like you've been helped by our support team since first creating this thread. I apologize for the wait time in regards to your previous open tickets. I've had my support supervisor take another look into your account, and he just followed up with you again, providing more details and answering your follow-up question. You can reply to his email directly if you have any questions or concerns.

And just to reiterate from the email, we've offered you a discounted VPS if you'd like to try it out. We also definitely have no problem manually refunding your remaining credit upon request it if you choose to close your account!

I hope the email helps clear things up a bit. Again, feel free to reply to our email if anything else is needed.

Thanks!
    Elle S
    DreamHost Staff

Quote Originally Posted by DreamHost-ElleS View Post
    Hey Brent!

It looks like you've been helped by our support team since first creating this thread. I apologize for the wait time in regards to your previous open tickets. I've had my support supervisor take another look into your account, and he just followed up with you again, providing more details and answering your follow-up question. You can reply to his email directly if you have any questions or concerns.
    Thank you Elle. I did get his reply, and I've responded back as well. The first reply to my ticket was, according to the times on the ticket, around 55 hours. I know I'm just a shared hosting user, but I just thought that was too much.

And just to reiterate from the email, we've offered you a discounted VPS if you'd like to try it out. We also definitely have no problem manually refunding your remaining credit upon request it if you choose to close your account!
    I want everyone to know that Sean did indeed give me that offer, and I'm considering it. There is no need for a refund if I do decide to close the account as I've been paying monthly and it would only be a few bucks.

That being said, it isn't closed yet. I gave a detailed reply to Sean regarding the situation I'm in, including the fact that I have signed up with another host and am doing some comparison tests. Dreamhost reps HAVE made some tweaks to my .htaccess file and offered other suggestions, but I really need to think about it all some more before I cancel one or the other.

Honestly, it's hard to get past the 55 hour response time and the general slowdown of the service over the past few months. But I'm a very forgiving person and have always been one to give businesses a chance.

I hope the email helps clear things up a bit. Again, feel free to reply to our email if anything else is needed.

Thanks!
    Elle S
    DreamHost Staff
    Thanks again. I will continue testing and discussing issues over the next couple of days and make my decision. I don't dislike Dreamhost at all. I'm just saddened by the drop in performance and support times. If I see that these can genuinely improve as a whole, I have no problem sticking with what I've used.

As I told Sean, I have one foot out the door, and my other foot doesn't want to leave. And then they go and offer a discounted VPS price to make things difficult, lol(though I'm liking the price I got through the new host, the price given is extremely fair).

I'll update this thread as things develop, and I'll stay in touch through support tickets. I'm just torn right now as I've already paid money to somebody else and was prepared to move on since I really need to get my sites growing. So we'll see what happens.

Brent

DreamHost

That's disappointing. I wanted to buy their 1 year plan because its on sale for $20 a year, but they don't accept paypal

This kind of feedback is common with them, Yahoo, 1&1, Godaddy, EIG, etc. The companies are more interested in new sales than existing customers. Once they've got you, service is slow, techs are slow, etc. Like ISPs and satellite companies, existing customers are not their main priority. Getting new $$$$ is.

There are better hosts, that prioritize existing customers. Sales has to wait days instead. You see complaints about this on WHT every month, but that's always a good thing!

All they're doing is tempting you based on price and "freebies" (many of which are worthless). Don't be a sucker.

Getting a VPS is completely stupid in this case. What you need is a better host. What they're essentially admitting is the servers are overloaded by suggesting this. Yes, there's a slight chance your WordPress plugins are causing it to run slow, but given my experience with this host, I don't think that's the case.

I've dealt with Dreamhost before. (It was a client site, I believe. After so many years online, things start to blur lately.) That custom panel was a huge PITA -- that part, I remember.

You came to WHT with the right idea already.
    Last edited by kpmedia; 11-14-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

You are quite right @kpmedia. I have seen recently the service of all these 4 hosts have drastically degraded...

1. HostGator
    2. HostMonster
    3. BlueHost
    4. DreamHost

I have moved on to another web hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by upalc View Post
    You are quite right @kpmedia. I have seen recently the service of all these 4 hosts have drastically degraded...

1. HostGator
    2. HostMonster
    3. BlueHost
    4. DreamHost

I will say, smart move
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by EnderHosting View Post
    That's disappointing. I wanted to buy their 1 year plan because its on sale for $20 a year, but they don't accept paypal
    Not sure what is going on there, but I pay my monthly hosting fees to Dreamhost using Paypal. Maybe it's certain countries only? I'm in the U.S., if that matters.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    This kind of feedback is common with them, Yahoo, 1&1, Godaddy, EIG, etc. The companies are more interested in new sales than existing customers. Once they've got you, service is slow, techs are slow, etc. Like ISPs and satellite companies, existing customers are not their main priority. Getting new $$$$ is.
    Yeah, it's an unfortunate thing. From a business perspective, it sounds good. But from a practical, long-term perspective, probably not always the best approach.

There are better hosts, that prioritize existing customers. Sales has to wait days instead. You see complaints about this on WHT every month, but that's always a good thing!
    It's sad, but true. Now, it hasn't always been this way. I had plenty of support requests in the past get answered in less than an hour, and sometimes just a few minutes. But this latest ticket took 55 hours for the first reply, and I think about one day for the second reply. I replied to them last night, around 10 hours ago, and still no reply. I realize I'm not their highest priority since apparently nothing is technically wrong, but those precious hours were enough to give me time to think about, and ultimately purchase, another hosting option.

All they're doing is tempting you based on price and "freebies" (many of which are worthless). Don't be a sucker.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of that whole offer. It is a good offer they gave me, but the offer alone doesn't promise any improvement in services or support. It just offers me a different plan to pay for every month. I would love to be proven wrong as I'm somebody who generally gives the benefit of the doubt.

Getting a VPS is completely stupid in this case. What you need is a better host. What they're essentially admitting is the servers are overloaded by suggesting this. Yes, there's a slight chance your WordPress plugins are causing it to run slow, but given my experience with this host, I don't think that's the case.

I've dealt with Dreamhost before. (It was a client site, I believe. After so many years online, things start to blur lately.) That custom panel was a huge PITA -- that part, I remember.

You came to WHT with the right idea already.
    Thanks. I never want to move hosts, and my experience for the first several months of Dreamhost was absolutely SUPERB. I had virtually zero complaints. Then something just happened. I would like to believe that it's just an anomaly and that it will be better, but if it takes a thread at WHT to get a host to reply, that's never a good sign. Maybe it wasn't this thread alone, but I have no doubt that it helped.

Time will tell. I'm experimenting with another host right now and remain open to being "wooed" back under the right circumstance. I'm not an unfair person. I just want to be able to trust who I do business with, especially as I plan to grow and spend more money in the next couple of years.

Brent

1. HostGator
    2. HostMonster
    3. BlueHost
    4. DreamHost

It's a strange thing, because the first three are EIG brands now, and Dreamhost is not. I sure hope that Dreamhost doesn't go that route, as I think they are still a good company.

I'm pulling for Dreamhost to get better, even if I leave. I sincerely believe that they WANT to be a better host. I just don't know if that is the direction they are going or not.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. OP - you'd be much better off finding yourself a better provider.
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. OP - you'd be much better off finding yourself a better provider.
    Thanks. I believe I have already done that, though I'm dealing with one issue during my testing, not sure if it's my fault or not. So we'll see.

Again, I'm a fair customer in that I'm open to being impressed again. But it would take probably more than a discounted VPS to do that since it would still cost me more than I already paid for the new host.

Brent

Thanks. I believe I have already done that, though I'm dealing with one issue during my testing, not sure if it's my fault or not. So we'll see.

Again, I'm a fair customer in that I'm open to being impressed again. But it would take probably more than a discounted VPS to do that since it would still cost me more than I already paid for the new host.

Brent
    Gotacha - I must have missed where you found a new host. What issue are you running into with your testing?

I don't think a VPS OR a discounted one is the solution here..... it sounds to me like it's cheaper for them to just give you a VPS vs trying to assist you in finding the actual problem. It reminds me of someone who knows nothing about cars that has a problem and just goes to the parts store & buys 50 different parts in hopes one will resolve it.
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Gotacha - I must have missed where you found a new host. What issue are you running into with your testing?

I don't think a VPS OR a discounted one is the solution here..... it sounds to me like it's cheaper for them to just give you a VPS vs trying to assist you in finding the actual problem. It reminds me of someone who knows nothing about cars that has a problem and just goes to the parts store & buys 50 different parts in hopes one will resolve it.
    Well, to be fair, despite the long delay, they did do a couple of tweaks that sped things up a bit, and linked me to the pingdom results to show the improvement(though I'm half convinced that they did the test AFTER I had moved the site, and it had propagated for them already). But my tests aren't getting the same speeds they are showing. They also said that apparently, I reached my ram limit once yesterday, which is strange because I had zero differences in the site from the previous day, and a total of 8 visitors, including myself from two different locations, and the Dreamhost staff visiting. No plugin differences or extra processes to cause a random spike that I can see.

They did finally offer to put me on a different server, but again, is it too little, too late? They let me think about it too much. I do appreciate the help they tried to give me, sincerely. But my trust and comfort level had already taken a dive by that time.

The issues I'm running into with the new host are "Unable to connect to database" errors. It's not a down server, as a quick refresh brings everything back. But I've had a few of these errors. Trying to get the the bottom of it before I really decide if I need to keep looking.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

Brent

Exclamation

It's a strange thing, because the first three are EIG brands now, and Dreamhost is not. I sure hope that Dreamhost doesn't go that route, as I think they are still a good company.

I'm pulling for Dreamhost to get better, even if I leave. I sincerely believe that they WANT to be a better host. I just don't know if that is the direction they are going or not.

Brent
    Ouch !!! Is it so ? I knew HostMonster and BlueHost have joined Endurance International Group. But HostGator, who was a partner of Google India's Get India Online initiative, is also under the same umbrella ? That's a NEWS to me ...hmm. That means we are going to see the same service degradation for Directi group of companies too... Seems time to move my domains as well. Ahh !!!

Ouch !!! Is it so ? I knew HostMonster and BlueHost have joined Endurance International Group. But HostGator, who was a partner of Google India's Get India Online initiative, is also under the same umbrella ? That's a NEWS to me ...hmm. That means we are going to see the same service degradation for Directi group of companies too... Seems time to move my domains as well. Ahh !!!
    Yep, HostGator is also an EIG company now, unfortunately.

http://enduranceinternational.com/ou...any/our-brands

Brent

The issues I'm running into with the new host are "Unable to connect to database" errors. It's not a down server, as a quick refresh brings everything back. But I've had a few of these errors. Trying to get the the bottom of it before I really decide if I need to keep looking.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

Brent
    Wordpress site? If it's intermittent, then you do in fact have some resource usage issues - is there anything inside the "error_log" in the public_html directory?

- also, my name is Brent as well!

Wordpress site? If it's intermittent, then you do in fact have some resource usage issues - is there anything inside the "error_log" in the public_html directory?
    No error logs. I did chat with a rep and they confirmed that they were having a few issues with MySQL right now and were working to fix it. So that could be slowing things down as the site has gotten slower in the past few hours. Last night it was FLYING.

I have also monitored my resource usage through cPanel, and have not hit anywhere close to any limits(most lines haven't moved much at all). So I don't THINK it's a performance issue of the site itself. I could be wrong.

I hope I didn't make a mistake, but time will tell. You never really can know how a company will be until you try them. Luckily, if it doesn't work out, I have backup options(not talking about Dreamhost here) I can go with if I need to. Every host has issues at some point, so I'm hoping I just happened to have bad timing and start hosting in the middle of this issue. The company has been good on replies thus far, and has a great track record. So we'll see.

- also, my name is Brent as well!
    I KNEW you sounded smart! Ha!

Brent
    Last edited by koolkeys; 11-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.

No error logs. I did chat with a rep and they confirmed that they were having a few issues with MySQL right now and were working to fix it. So that could be slowing things down as the site has gotten slower in the past few hours. Last night it was FLYING.

I hope I didn't make a mistake, but time will tell. You never really can know how a company will be until you try them. Luckily, if it doesn't work out, I have backup options(not talking about Dreamhost here) I can go with if I need to. Every host has issues at some point, so I'm hoping I just happened to have bad timing and start hosting in the middle of this issue. The company has been good on replies thus far, and has a great track record. So we'll see.

I KNEW you sounded smart! Ha!

Brent
    Great, keep us updated on the progress and if the issues get resolved.

Dreamhost isn't one of the worst ones, but isn't one of the best ones either. There many more hosts that can deliver a better service for the same price range such as Site5, Siteground and Arvixe.

Honestly I would still give them a chance since their rep here seems to be willing to work it out. And when a company tries its best, even when service isn't top quality, I like to give the benefit of doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Burlo View Post
    Dreamhost isn't one of the worst ones, but isn't one of the best ones either. There many more hosts that can deliver a better service for the same price range such as Site5, Siteground and Arvixe.

Honestly I would still give them a chance since their rep here seems to be willing to work it out. And when a company tries its best, even when service isn't top quality, I like to give the benefit of doubt.
    I generally do that as well. I realize things can go wrong, and giving a company the chance to make things right is always beneficial to both parties.

In this case, however, I just had a bad feeling about it. The response times were too long and I got that one foot out the door. I haven't cancelled Dreamhost yet, but it would take something spectacular to get me to stay now.

I had a wonderful chat tonight with the new host, and they answered many questions I had, very politely and patiently. Technical stuff, random questions, etc. And the performance for my sites has gone back up as it appears they have corrected the issues from later.

So I'm encouraged that I made the right decision. Nothing is final, but pretty darn close.

Brent

Best of luck with the new host Hopefully your website will go smooth with them.

hawkhost runs fine to me!

I'm having exactly the same issues. Until a month ago, if you'd asked me about my time with Dreamhost, I'd have been full of praise. Their support have always been super helpful and efficient, often working behind the scenes to help me even though I'm capable of implementing the fix myself.

However from the beginning of November I've experienced serious problems. My site times out and crashes at the slightest touch. I haven't had a sudden peak in hits and my RAM is consistently under 50MB. Support have also been really unhelpful recently, fobbing me off with explanations that don't make sense and fixes that don't work. Over the past week I've had to strip my site to the minimum it can survive on in order for it to even load. They are still telling me my issues are due to the site hitting the "memory limit" - but they won't tell me what that limit is, they won't give me any evidence contrary to my own reading of 50MB, they won't share logs with me, they won't give me any hard facts about the performance of other sites on the shared server, and they bat off any suggestion I make that the issue is not mine. I'm finding it really frustrating and I resent parting with my money when my site is intermittent 90% of the time.

Oh, and the VPS offer annoys me so much. Why would I commit to paying the host even more when they can't provide me with the basics? Not to mention there's no guarantee VPS will actually help.
    Last edited by DrunkenWerewolf; 11-21-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Already leave DH few years ago. The problems with their support system is that they can quicky answer some general question however with some real problems as many members mentioned above, they take really long time to reply or never replied...

Well, today is the day I am officially cancelling with Dreamhost. I've been using another host lately and been very happy with the quality of service and equipment.

Dreamhost made one last move that really disappointed me. When talking with their rep a couple of weeks ago, I asked them about billing. My account said that I was paid up until December 6th. I asked the rep, if I paid the $10.95 that was currently due, would that cover me until the 6th and as long as I cancel by then, would I be charged any more money.

The rep said, definitively, that I was correct. So I worked on transferring files and sites, and doing some testing on the new server along the way. I figured I had a couple of weeks.

Then I got a new invoice with a whole new month on it. When asked about it, they told me that I had to pay and cancel by November 17th to not be charged. This is NOT WHAT THEY TOLD ME PREVIOUSLY.

Since I pay in advance for the month, and I was paid up until the 6th, and the billing support specifically told me I wouldn't owe any more, why in the world should I have to pay it? My admin area says that I'm billed on the 6th, but my invoice said differently. My account specifically says:

This Billing Cycle: 2013-11-06 thru 2013-12-05
    * You are rebilled on day 6 of each month (if you owe more than $5.50).*
    *Services which are billed annually will only be billed once a year on day 6 of the month in which they renew.
    You currently owe: $0

But I can't cancel because they claim that despite my account saying I would be billed on the 6th, they charged me on the 17th for a new month. The account rep lied to me, and my admin is lying to me as well.

But no, you can't cancel your account unless you pay it. The option isn't even there until you pay what you owe.

I did have a domain registered through them, but it's not one I need any longer. They say that the domain will work through the end of it's current registration, but I don't want it to. So they are obviously charging me the full amount for the domain, even though it won't be for a full year.

So between the extra invoice and the domain that I don't want or need any longer, I have to pay them everything before having the option to cancel my account.

I'm done. Dreamhost is dead to me. They are holding me hostage to either pay what they say I owe and cancel, or renew. Basically, I can stand on principle and keep getting charged, or give in and cancel.

I hope I'm not being unreasonable. Money is tight right now, and every dollar counts. I would have cancelled my account immediately if I would have known I didn't have a couple of extra weeks before getting charged.

So that's it. I'll probably pay, but I would NOT recommend Dreamhost at this time. Bad response times, servers that are inconsistent, and confusing billing(at least for me). Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I'm done.

Thanks.

Brent
    Last edited by koolkeys; 12-04-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Just to include everything, here is what I asked the Dreamhost billing department:

My account shows that I owe $10.95 total, and it says that it bills on the 6th of the month. So if I pay that $10.95, will that cover me until the 6th of December? If I were to pay that and then cancel, would I still be able to use my account until the 6th? Or will I be billed any more before then? I may need a few days to transfer my stuff to another host if I choose to go that route, and just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brent
    To which they responded,

Yes, the charge is for the upcoming month of service.

Unless you set your account to end after the billing period it will
    automatically renew.

You can cancel the shared hosting plan on the manage account page:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cg...ling.accounts&

by clicking the edit link under Ends next to the service.

If you want to cancel your account before or after the rebill date, click
    the close this account link under ******* "Brent's Account".

Please write back in with any issues or questions.
    Am I being irrational by assuming that the answer to my question was "yes, if you pay that, which covers the next month, you are good"?

Earlier today, they replied literally within minutes. When I replied again, asking them once again for further explanation, nothing. I have doubts that I'll hear back again since they know that I will either be charged for another month, or pay them in full to cancel. I think they know that if they sit on it, there is nothing they can do.

I think I'm a reasonable customer, but maybe I'm not. Please feel free to put me in my place if you think it's needed. I'm hoping that this thread gets seen again by DH, but it would surprise me greatly if I heard from them now.

Brent

@koolkeys sorry to hear your issues with Dreamhost. You have decided wisely to move to another hosting and glad to hear you love their services. Would you name the hosting company you migrated to?

Quote Originally Posted by donmhico View Post
    @koolkeys sorry to hear your issues with Dreamhost. You have decided wisely to move to another hosting and glad to hear you love their services. Would you name the hosting company you migrated to?
    Sure. I moved to A2 Hosting. I will post a full review once I've been with them a couple more weeks.

Brent

Why is it that every time I specifically ask about the confusion, nobody at Dreamhost can acknowledge that the billing lady told me I would be fine? And why can't they acknowledge that their admin is, in fact, quite confusing on when you will owe?

Another reply from them, no change. They know I'm stuck either paying or continuing with my plan, as they don't offer any other solution.

So this thread is where I get MY say. It's only a few dollars, I get that. It's possibly even petty. But it's a big deal to me. I was very loyal to Dreamhost and referred numerous people there because of the good experience I was having. I didn't use affiliate links or anything like that because I wasn't in it for money. I wanted people to have a good host.

It's a bittersweet pill to swallow, knowing that Dreamhost had a chance to keep me as a customer, and grow with me in 2014 as I fully launched my business site again. But they blew it, and I'm saddened by that.

Brent

Ok, I will update this thread tomorrow if I miss anything here, but I just wanted to note that there has been a positive resolution to this issue finally.

After making my question clear again, Charlie from Dreamhost called me on the phone(though it was 12:21 at night, I had just replied to the ticket so they probably assumed I would be up, which I was). We talked through the frustration and he apologized. He was very helpful and was able to credit the account, including some extra credit to evaluate things further if I chose to do so.

I'm pretty happy with A2 Hosting and will likely move forward with them, but I wanted everyone to know that I appreciate this issue finally being sorted out. I do believe that despite the frustrations, the DH reps DO want to make their customers happy. It's unfortunate that I've had this stream of issues with them.

Thanks.

Brent

Brent
    Hopefully for their customers they won't!

SAME ISSUES...

If I'm being completely honest, I was happy for quite a while. Their control panel is fantastic and gives more options than others I had used. They provide more flexibility on a shared account than I've seen in hosts I've had in the past. They really do have a very flexible and full-featured shared hosting service.

But it seems that in the past several months, things have just gotten bad. My Wordpress sites I'm running there, which by the way are getting a max of less than 50 people a day on the busiest site, are running painfully slow. They didn't used to be that way.

I'm using everything from W3 Total Cache to Cloudflare with Railgun to full minification to asynchronous javascript loading plugins to Google Pagespeed insights......nothing is helping. Right now, I have a combo of W3TC, Cloudflare w/Railgun and Pagespeed, all set up properly, and my Wordpress site is taking upwards of 10 seconds to fully load according to Pingdom.

I've had discussions with their tech support in the past, which is all ticket based,

They asked me to get back in touch after making some optimizations if I still had bad performance. I did that

I have never received any emails saying that I had high usage or anything like that. As far as I can see, nothing is wrong with my sites. No attacks, no extreme server loads, etc. So I just don't know what else to do, and it's painful to work on my sites this way.

Add this to the downtime I've experienced in the past few months

and it just starts to stink a little. And never has any credit been issued or offered for downtime, as they promise in their 100% uptime guarantee.

So I'm at a breaking point, I think. I'm not naive enough to believe that I should be getting a Cadillac at Pinto prices, but I just feel that my money will get me more somewhere else. It would be one thing if they had been bad all along, but they haven't. They were really good for a while.

So with reluctance, I'm about 90% of the way to deciding to leave Dreamhost.

Has anyone else noticed a drastic decrease in quality of product and service?

They claim to have "Wordpress optimized" hosting, which seems to be a big buzzword, but I can tell you that none of my Wordpress sites run well.

Thanks.

Brent

I'm exactly with you, Brent, and VERY close to moving to A2 Hosting. I moved a client today. Just wondering about your WordPress sites migration experience from Dreamhost to A2?

Thanks!
    Deb